Why are people so sue happy?

chrly

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13622912/

I found this article on MSN and found myself wondering how many times a cruise line gets sued. I can understand that these people lost someone...but is this going to be the best course of action?

Can someone add their opinion as well?

I don't get it either......I feel in this case there was foul play, but I don't see how that is the cruise lines fault. Unfortunately there are bad people in the world and sometimes they travel on vacation.

I think people don't want to be accountable for their actions anymore - people suing for eating McDonalds, smoking cigarettes, etc. If you make a bad choice, I don't see how you should be compensated for that.

I think we have a bunch of people that want a free ride and suing is a chance to make a big buck. Mrs. Smith will probably never have to work again.......must be nice. I do feel for her loss, but I don't feel like Royal Caribbean did anything wrong. I have seen all the shows and the ship was cleared by the Turkish police after they took pictures and collected evidence.

We live in a litigous society. Lawsuits are in some cases a necessary safeguard to protect the public interests and consumers from fraud, negligence, abuse, etc. However some unscrupulous lawyers and greedy, scheming people have really screwed things up, especially in the medical feild. This has in turn opened the door for even greedier big corporations and politcal interests to try to roll back legal rights to sue and to fight corporate abuse or medical negligence. It's a fine line that I fear will ultimately make the average taxpayer/consumer the big losers.

Lawsuits serve a valid purpose in order to keep large companies skirting the law in the name of profits, but I think they are over-used by greedy lawyers and "victims" who see an opportunity to cash in, like it's "their turn" for good fortune or something. Makes my stomach turn, as hard as I work, for someone to get a huge settlement for "pain and suffering", as if that were on par with honest work.

A lot of the fraudsters get caught, and the frivilous suits are dismissed. Still, some people get to retire comfortably off someone else's mistake, and that is a shame.

I disagree in this instance. I believe the law and procedures for handling cruise ship "mishaps" need to be changed so that all evidence is preserved so the proper authorities have everything they possibly can to figure out what happened....accident, foul play, suicide... unfortunately, suing is one of the most effective ways to bring about change. Now, whether the family is suing for this reason or whether it is trying to put blame on the cruiseline for George's death remains to be seen. Just my opinion...

I don't get it either......I feel in this case there was foul play, but I don't see how that is the cruise lines fault. Unfortunately there are bad people in the world and sometimes they travel on vacation.

I think people don't want to be accountable for their actions anymore - people suing for eating McDonalds, smoking cigarettes, etc. If you make a bad choice, I don't see how you should be compensated for that.

I think we have a bunch of people that want a free ride and suing is a chance to make a big buck. Mrs. Smith will probably never have to work again.......must be nice. I do feel for her loss, but I don't feel like Royal Caribbean did anything wrong. I have seen all the shows and the ship was cleared by the Turkish police after they took pictures and collected evidence.

I think you about covered it all........Well Said!!!!!!!!!!

I agree on the fast food thing, but the cigarette deal is another story. It's well documented that the tobacco industry did everything in their power to supress research that showed they were carcinogenic for years and years. However Micky D's never made claims that Big Macs were good for you. Anyway, I digress.. I think these folks are going to have a hard time proving any sort of cruise line culpability. In fact their biggest argument pertains to the investigation phase. It's a pretty muddled case for the plaintiffs IMO.

It doesn't help any that every time we turn on our televisions, there's some lawyer screaming at us:

"Have you been injured in an accident?"

"Did you take Fat-Be-Gone and now you're sick?"

"Were you wrongfully terminated from your job?"

"Did someone look at you funny?"

"Call me now! And we'll sue the pants off of them!!!!!!"

Puts the message out there that evry time you are wronged, you deserve financial compensation.

The worst are class-action lawsuits. The end result for consumers is usually a pittance that's more of a pain to obtain than it's even worth. But they are huge paydays for the attorneys. However, they are also a safeguard against rampant consumer fraud or false advertising. It's a dilemma.

Keep 'em comming....I love hearing other people's opinions even if I don't personally agree with them. All of the opinions that I have read on this thread, so far, are valid ones.

I disagree in this instance. I believe the law and procedures for handling cruise ship "mishaps" need to be changed so that all evidence is preserved so the proper authorities have everything they possibly can to figure out what happened....accident, foul play, suicide... unfortunately, suing is one of the most effective ways to bring about change. Now, whether the family is suing for this reason or whether it is trying to put blame on the cruiseline for George's death remains to be seen. Just my opinion...

They are trying to blame the cruiseline and the wife now of a cover up of something they think was a murder. More likely he was just drunk and fell overboard or if you believe some people he is still alive.

Seems to me that this lawsuit should have been filed in Greece or Turkey. Isn't that where he allegedly died and the ship was operating? The accident report was filed with the Turkish authorities. The only reason for filing a lawsuit here in the US would be for more $$$.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13622912/

I found this article on MSN and found myself wondering how many times a cruise line gets sued. I can understand that these people lost someone...but is this going to be the best course of action?

Can someone add their opinion as well?

:( unfortunately I am afraid it all comes down to $$$$$$$$$ ....they don't admit it but that is what it's all about...

If you check your cruise contract, it probably stipulates the location where lawsuits have to filed- it certainly does with Carnival.

"15.It is agreed by and between the Guest and Carnival that all disputes and matters whatsoever arising under, in connection with or incident to this Contract or the Guest’s cruise, including travel to and from the vessel, shall be litigated, if at all, before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami, or as to those lawsuits to which the Federal Courts of the United States lack subject matter jurisdiction, before a court located in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of the Courts of any other county, state or country."

Corporations also need to be responsible and accountable, as do their employees. Most seem to try to slide by with the barest of minimums, or less. Unfortunately, it usually seems to take lawsuits and/or legislature, to get corporations to do what they should have been doing all along.

I turn on the tube and what do I see

A whole lotta people cryin' 'Don't blame me'

They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else

Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves

Victim of this, victim of that

Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat

Get over it

Get over it

All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit

Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash

But you might feel better if I gave you some cash

The more I think about it, Old Billy was right

Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight

You don't want to work, you want to live like a king

But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it

Get over it

If you don't want to play, then you might as well split

Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak

You're makin' the most of your losin' streak

Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain

You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain

You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown

Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down

Complain about the present and blame it on the past

I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it

Get over it

All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit

Get over it, get over it

Get over it

Get over it

It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit

Get over it, get over it

-- The Eagles

The Felder Situation

We probably get about 10 e-mails a week asking us where Don Felder is. We know that we've sort of assumed by now that everyone has heard about the situation (or read about it) so this page is an attempt to inform anyone that is just coming in on this. We also want to let the facts speak for themselves. That's why we'll be including bits of the actual lawsuits. There are also links so you can follow the cases as they move through the court system. When we put up this information, we were amazed at how many people reacted to it in a violent way. Putting up unbiased facts is not "slamming" any member of the band.

Please note: This page is here for information purposes only. We hope that our site visitors have the common sense to realize that documents from Felder's side are only that: his side. They are not the whole story. If we had documents from the other side, we would present those as well. This is not an attempt to take sides or to tabloidize the band problems. It is only so that long-time fans of the band can get a better understanding of what is going on.

NEW: Watch a Celebrity Justice Video Clip about the Case

real media :: windows media

Just The Facts

Don Felder is no longer a member of the Eagles

He was fired in February of 2001

Upon being fired he sued Henley/Frey for wrongful termination, breach of contract and a few other things.

Don Felder signed a contract to publish a book.

Henley and Frey counter-sued Felder for breach of contract.

The case had various angles which resulted in the California Supreme Court getting involved.

The case is set to go to trial in September of 2005.

The Lawsuit

There are actually two lawsuits. The first was filed on February 8th and seems to be in immediate reaction to the firing. The second lawsuit was filed in May and is a much more detailed case that details all of the wrongs ever done to Felder by Henley and Frey.

Selections From Felder 2

Watch Felder 2's progress

felder1_small.jpg

but the cigarette deal is another story. It's well documented that the tobacco industry did everything in their power to supress research that showed they were carcinogenic for years and years.

Not so sure I can agree with that one. When I was a child in the early 60's I remember my dad calling cigarettes "cancer sticks" . Yes the cigarette company should be liable for "trying" to supress research. But I think that alot of people were also in denial (sp?)

Putting that aside, I do believe there are alot of greedy people that will sue just to sue. But I do think that lawsuits are necessary in most cases to protect public interests and consumers from fraud etc. as another poster pointed out.

I have an idea - leave the laws as they are and allow lawsuits, etc., but with one exception - any "pain and suffering" award goes to charity, and not to the "victim".

This would accomplish two things:

1) Greedy people would look elsewhere for their greed

2) Companies would be punished for misdeeds where it hurts the most

And of course, the lawyers would continue to get 1/3 of the proceeds.

I remember when those two girls were suing McDonalds for "making them" fat. My sister and I came up with an idea after that. We are going to sue Visa! Because Visa put us in debt. If they didn't "give me" the credit card I wouldn't have used it! Makes sense right? :p

Yep. The cruise line doesn't pay squat and makes everyone depend tips, so of course the bartender is going to overserve someone until they fall off the ship. It isn't the bartender's fault - it's RCL's fault. :D

Actually, RCI pays the highest wages in the cruise industry and has the best morale. All their employees are so happy to work for them they don't even care about tips. So they would never overserve for that reason.

Hey, I figure if you can make sh1t up, so can I ;) :p

Archived