Warning! Warning! About Poh

dbolling1957

Please do not get an upgrade to, or try to get Penthouse 11524. This paticular cabin is directly underneath the Fitness Center on Deck 12. Every morning starting at 6:00 a.m., various guys weightlift with dumbbells, and let them drop on the floor. Throughout the morning, up until around 11:00 p.m., there are constant loud thumping noises. A nap during the day would be impossible.

Different officers in charge at the Reception Desk say thay they can't move the barbells somewhere else, nor stop anyone from lifting since the fitness center is open 24 hours. All I was able to do was to call the Reception Desk and have them contact Security, who would try to stop the excessive noise when they had time to respond.

At various times, the noise had gotten so bad that people on the 10th floor also heard the noise.

Please do not get an upgrade to, or try to get Penthouse 11524. This paticular cabin is directly underneath the Fitness Center on Deck 12. Every morning starting at 6:00 a.m., various guys weightlift with dumbbells, and let them drop on the floor. Throughout the morning, up until around 11:00 p.m., there are constant loud thumping noises. A nap during the day would be impossible.

Different officers in charge at the Reception Desk say thay they can't move the barbells somewhere else, nor stop anyone from lifting since the fitness center is open 24 hours. All I was able to do was to call the Reception Desk and have them contact Security, who would try to stop the excessive noise when they had time to respond.

At various times, the noise had gotten so bad that people on the 10th floor also heard the noise.

Thanks for warning anyone considering this cabin! Some people are so self-absorbed - I guess it just never occurs to the morons dropping weights that someone might be below them. I work out regularly and I hate it when people do this - it is just so rude and distracting AND so unnecessary !

Thanks for the heads up. I have gotten in the habit of looking at the deck plans to see what is above..and below where I may be booking.

Once on the DAWn I was underneath the hair salon and heard click click click click on the wooden floors above my cabin when trying to do those afternoon naps <g>..luckily the hair salon closed early

I, too, check the deck above and below before I book.....it's said that you NEVER want to be underneath a gym or a sun deck because of the movement of the chairs and the weight equipment.

And, you don't want to be above/below a deck where there might be loud music late into the night, if you're an early sleeper (for people who sleep-in or for afternoon naps) it's not as bad! ;)

Please do not get an upgrade to, or try to get Penthouse 11524. This paticular cabin is directly underneath the Fitness Center on Deck 12. Every morning starting at 6:00 a.m., various guys weightlift with dumbbells, and let them drop on the floor. .

I was afraid this was another complaint thread, but I was mucho wrong! Hope other than this you had a good cruise.

-Monte

I don't deny at all that this was your experience and thanks for pointing it out. I want to point out that I was maybe 10 or 20 doors down from you in 11502 on the 7/3 cruise. Never heard a sound mornings or night. In fact I slept like a baby. In looking at the deck plans I was under either the whirlpools or treadmills where unfortunately, you had the weights. What a difference a few doors down made. I agree with the one poster, NCL should probably just remove the weights. Anyway - for what its worth, the whole 11th floor as a whole is not noisy - but that cabin apparently is.

You know, this is a really good example of why you should be familiar with the ship's deck plan before you book your cabin.

There's not a whole heck of a lot you can do about the noise and it's annoying as all you-know-what! :mad:

On one of our cruises we had a cabin on Deck 10 in the rear of the ship. Location-wise it was near a stairwell and convenient to the Garden Cafe. Unfortunatley it was also located underneath the Garden Cafe and each morning we awoke to the sounds of people moving chairs around and scraping them across the floor in the process. :mad: The cruise was terrific, but I will never again get a cabin under the ship's cafeteria.

I don't deny at all that this was your experience and thanks for pointing it out. I want to point out that I was maybe 10 or 20 doors down from you in 11502 on the 7/3 cruise. Never heard a sound mornings or night. In fact I slept like a baby. In looking at the deck plans I was under either the whirlpools or treadmills where unfortunately, you had the weights. What a difference a few doors down made. I agree with the one poster, NCL should probably just remove the weights. Anyway - for what its worth, the whole 11th floor as a whole is not noisy - but that cabin apparently is.

If you do get a noisy room, is it possable to put in a request for a different one and get it? Hopefully without spending more money.

If you do get a noisy room, is it possable to put in a request for a different one and get it? Hopefully without spending more money.

The July 10th cruise was completly booked up for all the cabins, so our request was denied. Overall, our cruise was verey good execpt for the constant noise above our room. One lady I talked with said she and her son got attacked by bed bugs. Even though the ship is beautiful, it was weird to walk in an expensive penthouse and find various items left behind from the cruise before us, like underware, clothes, medicines, and shoes.

I am not a disgruntled customer that all of you constantly complain about in your threads about various reviews of POH. I feel future passangers need to know information in choosing an expensive vacation.

For example: SOME ROOMS like ours were not ever dusted or vacumn before we moved in, and our room steward gladly cleaned up the mess.

One lady I talked with said she and her son got attacked by bed bugs. Even though the ship is beautiful, it was weird to walk in an expensive penthouse and find various items left behind from the cruise before us, like underware, clothes, medicines, and shoes.

I am not a disgruntled customer that all of you constantly complain about in your threads about various reviews of POH. I feel future passangers need to know information in choosing an expensive vacation.

For example: SOME ROOMS like ours were not ever dusted or vacumn before we moved in, and our room steward gladly cleaned up the mess.

IMO-Lack of cleaning, items left from previous cruisers, bedbugs-all would be legitimate complaints. I hope the items effecting you were noted on your comment card.

-Monte

Sounds like the same problem the Jewel experienced early on especially since they're sister ships.

Hope they noted your complaint.

I've sent your msg along to someone who could get this solved, though it might take a little bit of time to get the proper stuff.

The big rubber mats ordered for the Jewel solved the problem. And they didn't have to remove the weights.:D

OMG, how could they design it that way? I have mini-suite 11560! Do you think I will have a problem?:eek:

shame you didn't mention the stateroom # in the title.

Descriptive titles help everyone out

I echo your remarks. Why is it so hard for people to be a bit more accurate in their postings?

Meanwhile, I also echo the posters that suggest you review the deck plan to make sure it make sense. Though you sure would expect a PENTHOUSE to not have these sort of problems. Yikes!

I echo your remarks. Why is it so hard for people to be a bit more accurate in their postings?

Meanwhile, I also echo the posters that suggest you review the deck plan to make sure it make sense. Though you sure would expect a PENTHOUSE to not have these sort of problems. Yikes!

I very very sorry for being so deceptive and not accurate enough in my orginal posting. I just figured future cruisers need some vital info quickly, not just some title that Mr. White would approve of at the Daily Planet.

I agree about checking out those deck plans thoroughly. I questioned the location of a cabin above the showroom on one of our earlier cruises. The TA assured me "with the way ships are built these days, they are practically soundproof."

Let's just say she was completely wrong and we could hear every show word for word, note for note and the floor was shaking. The speakers had to be mounted right under our room.

Since then, I will only book cabins that are sandwiched between two passenger decks, no matter what category I book. Haven't had a noise problem since.

bubiesmom, your cabin is under the kiddie pool so no dropping dumbbells. I donno how loud the kiddie pool can get though, but I'm sure there won't be anyone there at night.

thanks, I feel better. I was starting to panic there for a moment....:)

We were in a mini suite on the Dawn right beside the spa. Oh my... they would leave the cupboard doors open and they banged all night long! Fortunately, it happend only one night and just once during the day.

I've been in a penthouse under the upper deck and I did hear chairs scraping, I think the crew was doing all the scraping as they washed down the deck.

I'm just so happy to be on a cruise ship I pretty much overlook some of the incidents. Good warning! Yes, a better descriptive subject would be helpful.

Archived