Oosterdam = Holiday Inn ???

bentpilot

I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in quite a while but I have sailed on the Oosterdam, but I don't understand that comparison. If I could only choose spending a night in a Holiday Inn or a night on the Oosterdam, it would be the Oosterdam, hands down!

When one thinks about it, yes, perhaps they are similar...

The guest corridors and the stateroom doors are not plush or attractive by any means. In fact, corridors/doors look cheap. Not quite tawdry, but they don't offer any sense of security or elegance (they reminded me of my college dorm) .

In some parts of the ship, the carpet is very thin, and one feels as if they are walking on bare floors. There seems to be no padding beneath the carpet. So, yes, thin carpeting often found in a Holiday Inn hotel would be similar.

Interior colors, in some spots, are glaring and hard on the eyes. Think 60's orange and reds. Again, yes, it could resemble an outdated Holiday Inn.

Low, flat ceilings in public areas, especially near the Reception Desk, not to mention a bar just a few feet away. Some say tacky, others say WOW. At a Holiday Inn, a bar/lounge near the front desk is not unusual, especially if the hotel is geared towards businessmen.

The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship on the outside, but the inside doesn't do it justice.

According to the Cruise Critic ship review page, the Oosterdam compares to a Holiday Inn? I know reviews are subjective, but ... the Holiday Inn :confused:

There are some very nice Holiday Inns ... for example, the one facing the cruise pier in San Diego. So, I don't think this comparison is necessarily an insult. Whether or not it's true, I can't comment ... since I've never sailed the Oosterdam ... but I wouldn't be put off based on the Holiday Inn comparison.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't particularly care for Holiday Inns, and I LOVE the Oosterdam. When I think of a Holiday Inn, I think of the room and the quality of the bedding, etc. In no way does the Oosterdam compare to the HI in that respect. I will say, however, I was surprised that the Oosterdam didn't have granite or marble countertops in the bathroom. However, the bathroom on the O is wonderful.

Hmm. I didn't see that review comparing Oosterdam to Holiday Inn. I've sailed on Oosterdam and her sister ship Westerdam, and stayed in lots of hotels including Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons. I would say that the Oosterdam is clearly in the Marriott category. Above Holiday Inn, for sure. Jim in Ohio

I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn that had jacuzzi tubs in the rooms or free room service...

...and Oosterdam doesn't have "do-it-yourself Coffee Kits" or Venetian scenic murals in Formica behind the tubs either!

:D

Hmm. I didn't see that review comparing Oosterdam to Holiday Inn. Jim in Ohio

The Oosterdam rates three blue ribbons, according to Cruise

Critic ship review. The description of three blue ribons is as follows:

star2.bmp Expect: Many similarities to that of four-ribbon cruises -- except the ships are generally older. This means fewer balconies in standard categories, smaller cabins, and fewer options for dining and lounging. Service can surprise you (both in positive and less positive ways). Expect smaller gyms and children's facilities that are serviceable but less than innovative.

star2.bmp It's The At-Sea Version Of: Holiday Inn

Not to get too wrapped up in this review, but ...:rolleyes: I generally do not think of the Holiday Inn as a place to go and vacation in, just a nice, clean hotel to sleep in. Certainly, not a destination unto itself.

We are looking forward to the Oosterdam as the destination and look forward to enjoying the amentities the ship has to offer (booked SY). The ports are secondary (Mexico). Hope we made the right choice :) .

A first time HAL cruiser.

So the comparison to a Holiday Inn is a generic one for "three star" ships? In the Oosterdam case it is in error. The Ooster is fairly new (2003), has lots of balconies, and bigger standard cabins (198square feet, I believe) than most ships. You will find super beds like a 5 star hotel, flat screen TV, friendly staff, pretty good food. Very nice internet cafe. Not to be defensive, but if you expect Holiday Inn, you will be pleasantly surprised on the Oosterdam.

Many here on the HAL Board have always been dismayed at the "low" ratings HAL receives here at CC. I don't need a skating rink and rock climbing wall for my cruise. Because of that, and some preference on CC's staffs part to promote their "sponsoring" cruiselines, RCCL and Celebrity, HAL is given poorer ratings.

Have 5 cruises with HAL on R and S class ships, which we love. Now the folks we travel with, called last week and had found a heck of a deal on balcony cabins on Westerdam for October (so who's afraid of a little hurricane.. *L* ). So we are going with them. Based on reviews and comments I've seen here, I'm prepared not to like the Vista class ships as well.

Can only hope that we end up being pleasantly surprised. Actually could live with the Holiday Inn thing... just couldn't deal with a cruise ship on the level of a Best Western. Don't know of any chain that is more variable (and generally for the worse) than BW.

Going into it with a generally positive attitude as I figure 7 days in the Caribbean has to beat 7 days here dealin w/ convicts at work. But still a part of me that would rather be getting ready for my usual outside cabin on Volendam.

Will report back after the trip and share my impressions, for what they're worth.

I would certainly hope that the Oosterdam is not at all like Holiday Inn. Nothing wrong with Holiday Inn, but we booked our first cruise with HAL in hopes of a 7 night cruise on a "top notch" cruiseline...from what everyone here is saying. I would be very disappointed if I got off the ship saying it was like being in a Holiday Inn.

herb

not to worry --ive been on the odam before and its not even close to a holiday inn----------------see you in january on the odam

thanks for the reassurance :) We're looking forward to our cruise in Jan.

We're still trying to get adjusted to the time change from our Europe cruise. I still wake up very early in the morning and get tired by early evening. I'm trying to stay up as long as possible. It's only the 3rd day we're back, I'm sure it won't be long before I get used to the late nights.(I start back to work shortly, then I won't have a choice but to stay up late :D )

Many here on the HAL Board have always been dismayed at the "low" ratings HAL receives here at CC. I don't need a skating rink and rock climbing wall for my cruise. Because of that, and some preference on CC's staffs part to promote their "sponsoring" cruiselines, RCCL and Celebrity, HAL is given poorer ratings.

Take a look at whats' going on onboard Century right now and I don't think their leaving the gloves on for that review...that being said I was quite surprised by the ratings given the HAL ships...never been on one and I am looking forward to my upcoming trip.

I was just on the Zuiderdam (sister ship to Oosterdam) and it is not comparible to the Holiday Inn. Who in their right mind would say such things. I assume that the Oosterdam is just as elegant as the Zuiderdam. You might find some odd colours, but that's what makes the ship. I had read a lot of negative reviews before sailing on the Zuiderdam and those reviews just completely escaped my head as soon as I boarded the ship.

...I'm prepared not to like the Vista class ships as well.

Can only hope that we end up being pleasantly surprised.

I was totally prepared to dislike the Vista ships when I boarded the Noordam. I prefer the small S-class ships and am happy on the R-class.

Add to that I don't like the heat of the Caribbean. So off I went.

And RuthC had a great time on a beautiful ship!

I still prefer the smaller ships, and I still don't like heat and humidity, but I would sail this ship again and be happy to do so.

Ruth - Thanks for the reassurance. I know you've been cruising HAL a while and I value your input. Guess the only way to find out for sure is to go and do it.

Spose it's much like ice cream.. I prefer Black Cherry but won't sneer at Butter Pecan.. *L*

and hey.. I don't get chocolates on my pillow at home..

To me it is comparing apples to oranges..I would not stay in HI for mopre then 1 or 2 nights..The HI is OK while the O'Dam is WOW..HAL is a very good 4 to 5 star Line..HI is maybe a good 3 star..And that is IMHO:p

Archived