Just Off the Westerdam Today : 8-6-2006

shipcafe

Hi Everyone,

I disembakred the Westerdam this morning after a fantastic week to Alaska. This last week has been wonderful and it has restored my faith in the Vista Class ships delivering the product I know and love. I only say this as I tend to be a fan of the smaller ships. Westerdam truly has so many elements that make one feel as if he or she is on a smaller ship and she hosts such a beautiful collection of art and fine details. I could go on and on.

If you have particular questions about the Westerdam, feel free to let me know. Below are photos that I captured this past week while aboard and are some of my favorites!

we01.jpg

we02.jpg

we03.jpg

Welcome back, Steve! We are just off the Noordam one week and I agree that HAL has arranged the vistas to minimize the feeling that you're on a larger ship. The one telltale is how long it takes to walk from the dining room to the show lounge. ;)

Welcome back, Steve! We are just off the Noordam one week and I agree that HAL has arranged the vistas to minimize the feeling that you're on a larger ship. The one telltale is how long it takes to walk from the dining room to the show lounge. ;)

Agreed! I loved having my stateroom beneath the Lido but getting up the Crow's Nest was a bear!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise Steve!

I'm not a big fan of the Vista-class design (I really don't like the cabin designs, the dining room, the main lounge or the Queens Room - but aside from that, they're OK ;) ), however I will say that the designers did succeed in keeping the ships from feeling as big as they are... Definitely a good thing in my book.

Hi Steve, by any chance did you bring home anything with info about who's the Captain, Cruise Director, and other important staff ???

We are a group cruise going in Oct. and I would like to provide this info to our group.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Hi Steve, by any chance did you bring home anything with info about who's the Captain, Cruise Director, and other important staff ???

We are a group cruise going in Oct. and I would like to provide this info to our group.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Some of the staff change in October but - as of right now - the Master is Jonathan Harris and the cruise director is Stephen Gayda. Hotel Manager is Rene Tuinman and all of these staff were just fantastic.

Thanks Steve for the wonderful pictures - will be on the Westerdam 9/3 - 9/10 and can't wait!! :)

The picture of the LARGE ship is now on my desktop so I can see it every time I get on the PC!!!!! My neice who is 5 is going to really think it's awesome since she keeps asking me if the "boat" is big!!! :D

Welcome back, Steve. They did do a good job with minimizing the size, didn't they? Unlike some other cruise lines, which shall be nameless. I know, I want mention the name, we'll just call them "X", the unknown :rolleyes:

Some of the staff change in October but - as of right now - the Master is Jonathan Harris and the cruise director is Stephen Gayda. Hotel Manager is Rene Tuinman and all of these staff were just fantastic.
Thanks Steve, appreciate the reply :)

Ziggy 7,

Great photos. Perhaps HA should hire you to do their brochures. Better shots then any on their web site ! Doing the Westerdam on 11/12 and can see the colors are not as shocking in the cabins as on the Zuiderdam. Fotgot how great those balconies are on the "SS" suites but, your great photos helped my recall. Thanks. :o :o :o

Shipcafe: We are cruising on the Westerdam from Seattle on 9/3. Wondering if you took the same cruise? If so, did you do any of the excursions in ports, and which did you like?

Which dining options should we consider? I signed up for Late Main.

But I've heard the Lido buffet and Pinnacle are worth trying as well. Did you use room service? If so, how was that?

We have a SS balcony suite and an inside room for our adult daughter, across the hall. We will all share breakfast on our balcony in the morning I think. Any impressions of either of these types of rooms anyone?

Ziggy 7,

Great photos. Perhaps HA should hire you to do their brochures. Better shots then any on their web site ! Doing the Westerdam on 11/12 and can see the colors are not as shocking in the cabins as on the Zuiderdam. Fotgot how great those balconies are on the "SS" suites but, your great photos helped my recall. Thanks.

Awwwww thanks mydogs, thats very sweet of you!!! Hugs!!!:D

The Westerdam is very beautiful and classy!!! I loved her and I cant wait to sail on her! :)

Hi Everyone,

I disembakred the
Westerdam
this morning after a fantastic week to Alaska. This last week has been wonderful and it has restored my faith in the Vista Class ships delivering the product I know and love.

Hi Steve,

Shame! I had hoped to make this sailing but it was full so instead I'm sailing on her 10th September voyage.

Did you by any chance see my latest piece.... WESTERDAM departing Seattle?

Stephen

Winegirl: DW and I are also on the 9/3 Westerdam criuse, along with our adult son, who is also in a separate cabin (he pays his own way, but is not across the hall). Our "adult" kid is pushing 40 and owns his own long haul truck (i.e. 18 wheeler type).

We're currently in a "guarantee" SZ cabin, but who knows where we will wind up. This will be our first Vista class cruise. All the others have been "S" or "R" class HAL ships.

This will our second Alaska trip .... the other was in June, so the weather was wonderful. Unknown what September will bring. Whenever, Alaska is absolutely beautiful!

We don't book shore excursions. We prefer to make our own arrangements once we get ashore.

You will surely have a wonderful trip.

Hi Steve,

Shame! I had hoped to make this sailing but it was full so instead I'm sailing on her 10th September voyage.

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

I most certainly did and it is absolutely incredible. I just loved it and was commenting to others that it would be a fantastic piece for my own living room! You truly outdid yourself with that work and I'm so happy that it will be adorning the work place of such high supporters of Holland America Line. I was sure to get a snapshot of it (below) . . . .

Thanks again for your great work!

stphncardpntg.jpg

Hi Steve,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Perhaps we can lunch aboard the Westerdam on the 10th? I'll have to see if I can make it down to the ship that day but it would be great to meet you!

Hello Stephen,

I most certainly did and it is absolutely incredible. I just loved it and was commenting to others that it would be a fantastic piece for my own living room! You truly outdid yourself with that work and I'm so happy that it will be adorning the work place of such high supporters of Holland America Line. I was sure to get a snapshot of it (below) . . . .

stphncardpntg.jpg

OMG!!! It's beautiful!!! I cant wait to see it in person!!! Very awesome work Stephen!!!!

did you bring home anything with info about who's the Captain, Cruise Director, and other important staff ???

truly curious --- have seen posts like this frequently --- why is it important to know the names of these people beforehand --no flames please --- i never know these peoples names beforehand and in most cases i dont know them as i disembark and i dont feel that my cruise would have been any better if i had known them beforehand

truly curious --- have seen posts like this frequently --- why is it important to know the names of these people beforehand --no flames please --- i never know these peoples names beforehand and in most cases i dont know them as i disembark and i dont feel that my cruise would have been any better if i had known them beforehand

I don't understand it either, Lou.

certainly i've had good and bad CD's, etc. - but none of them ever diminished the cruise (although some did enhance it) and knowing who they were ahead of time wouldn't change anything I do.

Hello Stephen,

stphncardpntg.jpg

Steve,

Ah! Glad it all worked out! I wish I had been able to fly out to Seattle to 'research' the scene first. ;)

I worked up the background from what I could find on the internet. I probably have the ship in a position where there is only 10 feet of water or immediately in front of a reef!:eek:

Thanks for posting the photo.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Perhaps we can lunch aboard the
Westerdam
on the 10th? I'll have to see if I can make it down to the ship that day but it would be great to meet you!

Steve,

That would be great. I should be aboard by about 1 pm. Look out for me and I'll do the same or pls telephone cabin.

One quick question. Has WEDM been through all the SOE changes yet?

Best,

Stephen

Archived