Tell me about the Volendam

DFD1

Sailing down toward Barbados on 11/26/04 on the Volendam. First time on her. Previously on the Maasdam, the old Westerdam, and the Oosterdam. Enjoyed them all. How is the Volendam different from the Maasdam, if at all? Is there a theme to the decor? What about the Crow's Nest and the workout area? Thanks.

Sage, I know you love the Rotterdam and you too will enjoy the Volendam, similar in many ways, but different enough to hold her own identity.

I loved the Volendam. I sailed her for the first time two years ago, then we sailed the Rotterdam and are now going back to the Volendam next winter.

The Volendam is very much like the Maasdam, but a tad bit bigger. I find it being just a little bigger very much the advantage.

I have never felt crowded on any HAL ship I have been on, but it seems like the Amsterdam, Volendam and Rotterdam are just that little bit larger in the right areas, like the Lido Deck area.

I think you will enjoy the Volendam, any specific questions, please ask away.

Lucky you - Volendam and Rotterdam are our favourite ships. Been on the Volendam twice in the last year and love her. :)

She is a bit bigger than the Maasdam and smaller than the Oosterdam. There is a 3rd set of elevators mid-ship, whereas the Maasdam only has 2 sets. The outside pool is on the Lido Deck, whereas the Maasdam's is on the Navigation deck.

I don't pay much attention to the decor but I think the theme is flowers. Don't use the gym and don't go to the Crows Nest at night. We usually go there for a drink before dinner each evening.

It was a good place to be when we sailed in Alaska last year as we could keep warm instead of having to stand outside on deck as we did on the Rotterdam V.

I am sure you will enjoy the ship. Friendly crew, Officers and a great Captain, Weiger van der Zee, if he is on board and not on vacation.

Have a great trip.

WE sailed on the Volendam twice. Once in an outside cabin and last time in a Verandah Suite. Love that ship! She's elegant, refined and fun. Crew was very, very good. I don't like traditional dining, but we survived. On two of formal nights, we ate in the Lido. On those nights, they set up the tables with linens and place settings. You choose your starters from the buffet, and select your entree from a menu. Dinner was served by waiters. It was nice. Note: Outside cabin was nice, but if you can get a Verandah Suite, aft, you will be very, very happy!!!

The Volendam is one of four ships in the "R" Class of Ships.

The ROTTERDAM

The VOLENDAM

The ZAANDAM

The AMSTERDAM

All of the above ships are 780 feet long. Basically they are "Strech" versions of the "S" class ships (Statendam,Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam). The Rotterdam and Amsterdam have more suites than do the Volendam and Zaandam. The Rotterdam has the aft pool on the Navigation Deck. Beginning with the VOLENDAM the aft pool is at the back of the Lido deck so both pools are on the Lido Deck. I rate the Volendam and the Rotterdam my two favorite ships that I have been on. (NB: I have been on the old Nieuw Amsterdam, the old Westerdam, the Statendam, MAAsdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Volendam, Rotterdam and Zuiderdam)

Himself

The workout area is typical of other cruise ships of a similar size. There were approx. 10 treadmills, 2 recumbent cycles, 5 other cycles and 4 stairclimbers. Free weights and some muscle toning equipment are also available in the fitness area. The outside Promenade Deck is quite roomy for walking ( 3.5 laps=1 mile ) Large notices at the stern & aft forbid jogging, although this rule was not enforced during our June 2-9 cruise.

There were some individuals who were not permitted to access the equipment in the fitness room due to improper footwear. No sandals,dress shoes...bring your runners & proper workout gear. The young lady who was in charge of the gym was very efficient and took her job quite seriously. I only wish more people llike her found their way into all cruiseship gyms.

Thanks for the great replies. We've been cruising since the old "Emerald of the Seas', back in the 70's, but lately find ourselves gravitating to HAL over and over again. Maybe it's our age....or maybe they're just more our speed, but it's always a joy to be on one of the great HAL ships and we're as excited about the Volendam on 11/26/04 as we were on our very first cruise. Thanks again,everyone!

Hi DFD1, we're on your sailing. The Volendam is the only HAL ship that we have sailed on and what I really liked was that at no time did it seem crowded, even though it was nearly full. Lots of nooks and crannies and something different around every corner.

We're looking forward to our first "Volendam" cruise on 12/06/04. Hope we can meet Sage. We sailed Zaandam last year, and really liked the ship, especially the food in the Pinnacle Grill, hope it's just as good on the Volendam. Thank you all for your comments about the ship, we really enjoyed reading them all!!

We too are looking to take our first voyage on the Volendam... we didn't care for the size of the Zuiderdam, I understand the Volendam is a bit larger than the Maasdam (which we were on last March) but not quite as large as the Zui. I am hopeful this is the case.

We are looking at two BB category rooms, toward the back of the ship where there is a single sideways I category cabin (I think). If anyone has been in cabins 6215 (the inside I), or 6217, 6219, 6221, cat B - and can let me know how the location is - I'd appreciate it.

We don't mind the back, just don't like too much hallway traffic...

thx!

You are correct, the Volendam is a bit bigger than the Maasdam and smaller than the Zuiderdam. I found the Volendam to be a perfect size and I am sure you will love her as much as I do. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks Doone! We were looking at the Maasdam again, but would like to try something different. Also, our friends would rather fly to FLL...

It sounds like we might just go on the Volendam - and from what I've heard she is a great ship, with a huge following.

Flyboy02,

Welcome to the 12/06/04 sailing.:D I would love to meet. lka1012 is also joining us on this sailing. We have not decided where or when to meet, but I'm sure we can work that out. The ship sounds great doesn't it?

Thus far the Volendam is my favorite HAL ship currently in service. She's just LOVELY. I've been on her several times, and she's an outstanding vessel for both close-to-shore cruising as well as for deep sea operations. VERY stable.

Others have already sketched her details, in particular how she is different from the S-class ships. So, all I'll add is: for photographic and video tour of the ship, check out the link below.

Revneal,

As always, you are so generous with your wonderful pictures and video clips. I just love looking at your memories. Thank you for providing the link. :D

RevNeal -- Thanks for the photos. We were on the Wayfarer and Eastfarer (I think that's what they called it) and your pictures brought back wonderful memories. We just love the Volendam. There is something special about that ship. There's a feeling of hominess and yet elegance about her. We loved our Verandah Suite all the way aft. It is certainly a good feeling to be aboard the Volendam. Thanks again for sharing your photos.

Thanks, Rev. Neal, for the great photo tour of the Volendam. Great set of Photos! The response to this thread has been really helpful and we appreciate the great feedback. Thanks, DFD1

Three posters have thanked Rev. Neal for his link to some photos. I don't see any link on my screen, so I can't access any photos . What am I doing wrong? My options say "automatically parse links in text", but I don't know what that means. :confused: P.S. I tried the board with and without the "parse links" option checked, and I still don't see any link.

Archived