Massages on Board???

I've been on four cruises, but have never taken advantage of any of the spa services. I had an amazing massage a few months ago at the spa at the resort I was staying at in Mexico. I was wondering how the massages are on the ship? What are the costs like and are they worth it??? I've been in a few car accidents and have a couple of herniated discs in my back so I'm used to getting frequent massages! What type of massages do they offer and which do you guys suggest! Thanks!!!

Jenn

Well, a lot depends on the ship and the specific masseuse. But I personally don't bother doing them on the ship. First of all, they are way more expensive than the ones I can get at home. (Actually I get them for free through my insurance due to my own herniated disc, but even if I had to pay for them they'd be less than the ship ones.) Second, the couple of times I did do a spa service, it seemed like they spent more time trying to sell me their products than doing the actual service! I don't feel like I should have to pay for a sales pitch, so I don't bother. I'll get my massages at home.

Yeah, I was a little afraid of that. I don't pay for my massages at home either. I get them weekly right now in an attempt to fight off the need for surgery at my age. I can't imagine going a week and a half with out a massage, but I'm also not going to spend the money on one that doesn't do any good! Like I said, I had a wonderful one in Mexico! It was right on the beach and she was great! I was a little worried because she was VERY pregnant, but she was Much better than anyone I've had at home. It was about $85 for 70 minutes.

You can get some fabulous treatments, but they are very pricey. I've gotten fairly skilled at fending off any sales pitches by asking the tech before the massage not to do it. Nothing ruins the relaxation by having somebody tell me that I retain water and need their detox treatment.

I have a different take on the spa treatments.

Sadly, it's absolutely true that they are WAY overpriced compared to land-based treatments. It's also true that they can sometimes come with a vigorous sales pitch -- but you can usually let them know at the beginning, politely but firmly, that you are not interested in purchasing any products.

In spite of these drawbacks, I almost always get at least one massage per cruise, for one simple reason: I can stay relaxed when I do it onboard!! When I get massages at home, I immediately have to turn around and fight traffic, and go back to dealing with carpools and bills and what have you. Onboard, it's completely different . . . I just slip on my swimsuit and a coverup and glide back to my balcony, where I can relax on a lounger and enjoy the glow. :)

So yes, it's probably true that your massages at home are more therapeutic -- but MAN, you can't beat the pampering of doing it on a cruise!! :D

The massage on the ship is wonderful! Last cruise it was a male that did the massage. I was apprehensive at first, but later found it was the best I had. Whatever you do DONT SUCCUMB TO BUYING THE PRODUCTS. Yes, you need to detox, but that can be done by drinking a lot of water after the massage and dipping in the saltwater pool. When you have a massage, your body releases toxins, which is some folks can make them sluggish, have a big headache or feel achy. Drinking the water helps to flush this from your system.

Schedule one the first part of the cruise to know if you want to repeat it again. For my husband and I, it is our favorite thing to do, then to retire to the sauna for a while, then down to the pool to relax. I agree with La croisiere, it is the one time there is enough time to relax after a massage.

I have had a couple spa treatments and they are over priced and the last thing I want is for someone to try to sell me something. The best massage I ever had was on my last cruise on the beach in Jamaica - $1 per minute!! Not saying I wouldn't use the spa again, but I would definitely make it clear that I don't want to buy anything ahead of time.

I do them on land and on the ship. I actually enjoy the ship massages. I've never had a bad one. I agree, they are pricey but what isn't on a cruise. I always wait and do them at the end of the cruise when they mark everything down. You get a great deal, and yes, you can still relax when it's over. No traffic, no nothing, just down time!

As for the sale, i find if you make small talk with them during and tell them how wonderful it is, and at the end I say i have all that stuff sitting in my cabinet right now at home from last cruise. never used it. They usually laugh and move on.

GO, enjoy yourself.

I got a Swedish massage on Carnival compliments of my Mother. I did not think the girl did a good job. It may have jsut been me. She also talked the whole time!!! I find that to be the most annoying thing.

But...Aside from the common denominators of overpriced and a sales pitch, the type of massage and quality of the massuer can change from ship to ship.

I would not do it again based on my last experiance.

She also talked the whole time!!! I find that to be the most annoying thing.
That's funny -- that's one of the other things that bugged me. I've had two spa treatments -- a massage, and a foot therapy thing (can't remember the name). The masseuse talked the whole time -- a lot of it about the products, DURING the massage, and it really spoiled it for me. I did tell her I wasn't going to buy any, but that didn't seem to stop her. The foot thing -- at least she was quiet when she was doing it, but she stopped early and launched into her sales pitch, so I didn't feel I got my money's worth. I certainly didn't get it for the whole time that it was listed at. I wish I'd said something at the beginning so she'd known not to do that, but I don't feel like I should have to say something in order to get what I've paid for.

Now, my massage therapist at home keeps her mouth shut and the mood right. (I'm also fortunate in that she's close to my house, so after a massage I can come home and relax on the sofa for the rest of the night. :))

I guess I just feel like I have so many other things to do on a cruise that I don't want to spend my time doing something that I can do at home. I already find cruises to be so relaxing. Provided I don't get into any tussels with chair hogs! :D

To each her own. I love getting massages during the cruise, it helps me get in the vacation mood and de-stress. I agree that the setting is perfect, because you don't have to return to the chaos of normal life right away.

Last time I was on the Empress I got a deep tissue and a hot stone. The deep tissue was one of the best massages I've ever had but the hot stone one was just alright, so I think it depends a lot on the masseuse that you get. As far as the product pitch/talking during the massage/other distractions, I think people need to be up front with the person performing the service and speak up if something is not to their liking.

Overpriced? Absolutely! Just like the liquor, excursions, merchandise, etc. Hey, it's all part of the cruising experience! Of course, if I got free

massages at home that would be a different story...

;)

I find it interesting that so many of you say that you tell the spa ahead of time that you will not be buying any products. I would be afraid that they wouldn't do a very good job because of that. I have only had one massage on board and when the masseur was finished he went into his sales pitch, when I politely told him I wasn't interested he then treated me like dirt! He didn't wait until after I tipped! Apparently the tip didn't mean as much to him as the product sales. Which was too bad for him because I usually tip very good since I at one time had to live off tips!

One time a few years ago, I think it was on the Enchantment, the

therapists came out to the Solarium and gave foot massages.

I can't remember how much it was but it was so nice. It was only

10 minutes or so but both my BF and I got one. Must have been

a slow day at the spa.

Yeah, I was a little afraid of that. I don't pay for my massages at home either. I get them weekly right now in an attempt to fight off the need for surgery at my age. I can't imagine going a week and a half with out a massage, but I'm also not going to spend the money on one that doesn't do any good! Like I said, I had a wonderful one in Mexico! It was right on the beach and she was great! I was a little worried because she was VERY pregnant, but she was Much better than anyone I've had at home. It was about $85 for 70 minutes.

You can also get them very reasonable in ports on the beaches and other close by areas to the ports. That is a suggestion to save some $$$. We have a pre cruise hotel booked at the raddicin resort at the pier in Port Cavaveral and hope to have one at the hotel before sailing.

Archived