HAL treadmill question

jagsfan

I can only do the treadmill if I can listen to energetic music. Obviously my

headphone radio won't be of any use. Do I have to carry a CD player and

headphones or do the HAL gyms (specifically Volendam) have tvs or big

windows on the ocean so I can no expire from boredom? No, I've never

done lick of exercise on a cruise, but just had a hip replaced and need a

knee done and am trying to lose weight and build my stamina.....thanks

All the treadmills on the "S", "R" and Vista class ships face forwards towards the bow of the ship so you have something to look at (that would be the ocean;) ). Only on Prinsendam is the gym located on the aft part of the ship and the treadmills face inward (no view - each treadmill, however, has a small individual TV monitor). There are TV's in all the gyms but they are usually set to CNN. There is usually no "exercise" music piped into the gym unless you're timing your workout with an aerobics class taking place "next door". I used to bring a walkman with a strap to hang on one of the treadmill handles. Since switching to an I-pod, am doing the same with it so I have music. So my suggestion is, bring a walkman, CD player or an I-pod along with head phones and you'll be fine! Enjoy your cruise and workouts! PS and BTW, Season one of JAG is now out and available on DVD

Actually, the Volendam has the newer treadmills---just like I found on the Noordam.

That is, there is a TV built in as part of the treadmill itself. As a matter of fact, it hinders the view of the ocean. But, they are the same stations---including music channels---as you have in the cabin, so it's possible to listen to something to distract you from the exercise.

On the Noordam I found headsets available; I didn't see them on the Volendam. It's easy to bring your own.

Jagsfan, time to come to the 21st century (as I was dragged into kicking and screaming) and get an ipod or similar device. My entire CD/album collection is on mine with a book-on-tape or two. I bought a $20 set of battery operated compact speakers and we take our music library with us anywhere. Ahhh, the new world....:D

You're in for a big treat. The bikes and treadmill are in front of floor to ceiling windows. There are tvs high up in all corners of the room. Yes, by all means bring a CD player as the tvs are on low volume. I am able to spend a couple of hours in the fitness center at my own pace (slow), doing weights, bike, treadmill, sitting on a seat by the window and reading. Very leisurely pace. Enjoy!!!!

The bikes and treadmill are in front of floor to ceiling windows. There are tvs high up in all corners of the room.

:confused: Are you speaking of the Volendam? That's the ship the OP mentioned. I was on the Volendam in July. The treadmills had the TV built right in. And they block the view out the window fairly well (at least for this 5'2" woman).

I don't remember if the wall-mounted TV's are still there or not, but I do know the new-style treadmills were installed.

thanks, everyone for your answers and advice. I'll bring one of my

grandaughter's Ipods. why she has two I don't know.....but it will come

in handy anyway. And hopefully I can figure out how to use the built

in TV's (I'm technically inept).

And hopefully I can figure out how to use the built

You don't have to be anything close to "ept:D " to make them work.

The TV will already be on. There's an up/down button clearly marked for the channel; another for volume. The port for the earphones is obvious.

Or, just glance over to the person at the next one and watch what they're doing!;)

Does anyone have first hand experience about the treadmill set up on the Zaandam?

Also what hours is the gym typically open?

AND lastly are there showers there?

Thanks!

The gym is usually open from 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM. There are no showers in HAL's gyms, only bathroom(s). There are showers in the adjoining Spa which you can't use unless you have a Spa appointment which will cost you $$

• 2 years later...
The gym is usually open from 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM. There are no showers in HAL's gyms, only bathroom(s). There are showers in the adjoining Spa which you can't use unless you have a Spa appointment which will cost you $$

No showers in the gym? :eek: Man, that's a bummer. I get REALLY sweaty when I exercise (I know, too much information). Plus it's really nice to be able to shower and fix myself up without disturbing the wife, who is generally still sleeping when I sneak out to exercise in the morning.

What about out by the pool (on Rotterdam), is there a rinse off shower of any kind out there?

Why not just go out and walk the wonderful Teak Decks?? Depending on the ship 4 or 5 times around is a mile - you get the fresh air and the beautiful view. I think they are also still doing the "walk for the cure" so you can get your excerise and the money goes to a great cause.

..................What about out by the pool (on Rotterdam), is there a rinse off shower of any kind out there?

Yes, there are "rinse off" showers at the forward end of the Lido pool. And thanks, btw, about painting a picture about there being a lot of sweating going on!;) :eek:

I was thrilled and even shocked to find that the view from the treadmill on the Volendam was basically the same as the view from the Crow's Nest. I was on the treadmill 13 days of a 14 day cruise. The TV monitors attached to the treadmills easily tilt out of the way. TV reception was spotty at times. Bring an MP3 player.

I brought my ipod. Note on the Eurodam they had headphones for use. I hope they implement that on all ships. The treadmills are the beat kept secret on HAL ships (especially Noordam and Westerdam where you can walk outside after your workout) as they face the sea!

They are empty at 6:00am.

thanks, everyone for your answers and advice. I'll bring one of my

grandaughter's Ipods. why she has two I don't know.....but it will come

in handy anyway. And hopefully I can figure out how to use the built

Not a problem, you can do it, it's simple, if I can do it anyone can do it but I would bring my own ear phones, (I'm not sure you can get any from Hal) heck I found the airlines ones work just fine for those TV's too.

They are empty at 6:00am.

I don't think working out, especially that early, is high on the list for many cruisers (fortunately for we that do).

I've mentioned in other posts pertaining to cruise excercise that one of the singularly most interesting events of my life so far was trying to run on the treadmill in a pretty good storm swell whilst aboard Century last year. Rising up the wave would be like running up a pretty good incline and then you'd go semi-weightless as the ship's bow would fall. :D

For $49 you can have your own 1G Ipod shuffle (order online, free FedEx shipping), which will hold about 240 songs. I have one that is specifically for walking, and it is loaded with only rockin' tunes.

They come in colors now--blue, green, purple, red, and silver.

DH loves the treadmills -- but if you are there at 6 AM when the gym opens (That's when DH is there) -- the blinds are closed and you can not look out to the ocean -- most times it is dark depending on your cruise.

Later in the day -- okay!!

Why not just go out and walk the wonderful Teak Decks?? Depending on the ship 4 or 5 times around is a mile - you get the fresh air and the beautiful view.

Are the outside decks appropriate for running? I'll be on the Westerdam in October.

On RCCL two years ago there was a track around the upper deck, and it was much nicer to run with the wind in my hair (most people were respectful about staying off the track).

Darn it, now showers. On other cruises I have always done my workout and then showered there so I didn't disturb my sleeping family/cabinmates.

I am pleased that the gym opens at 6am. On the Mercury it didn't open until 7am and there was always a queue of people lined up waiting to get in. My gym buddy always gets up at 5.30ish and had to fill in time until the gym opened.

Archived