How Old Are You?

RevNeal

How Old Are You (Responses will be private)  

1,303 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You (Responses will be private)

• 15-25
    • 26-35
    • 36-45
    • 46-55
    • 56-65
    • 66-75
    • 76-85
    • 86-95
    • 96-105
    • 106+

I'm not the 106+, but let me tell you something that happened not too far from me about five years ago. There was a woman, 96 years old ... whose mother died. The old lady was in the Guiness Book as the oldest person of verifiable age. I know a woman who was out shopping at Bradlee's (south of Boston) at 103. We had a woman locally who played Santa Claus at a nursing home till she was 105.

Old age ain't what it used to be. Of course, I don't believe the posting, but it mayyyyybe was someone checking in for their granny.

I'm 57 and Jim's 62-going-on-22. We have only been cruising since 1996, and that was on the old barnacle barge, the Seawind Crown. Not knowing any better, we thought cruising was Heaven (not to be confused with RevNeal's Heaven...) :)

Now we're a bit older and a lot more self-indulgent, and choose suites (or Cat A Wake cabins). What formerly was an annual event has become 2-3 per year, and I'm not complaining. I'm 57 and Jim's 62-going-on-22.

Ain't life grand?

I'm pleased people are enjoying this thread, and taking it with the good-humor and honesty with which was intended. :)

On the Volendam last September we had a lady -- two tables over -- who was celebrating her 101st birthday onboard.

I'm 44, but I prefer to think of it as 29, with 15 years experience.

That's a GREAT way to look at it.

Reminds me of a magician who used to work magic tricks while saying "Any 12 year old can do this ... with 25 years of practice."

Hey Guys! You know what? MAYBE :rolleyes: there is a poster who is 106+ !

If that's the case, then I think we should all congratulate him/her for knowing how to use this computer thing we post from!!! Now, how cool :cool: can that be???

BTW, I don't mind telling, (but truthfully I want to stay on Rev's good side!) .... I'm 46 .... and still waiting to grow up! :p (Dang it, I just missed the other bracket!)

:)

[quote]But I WAS on one of the first voyages of the SS United States.[/quote] I believe back then it was called the S.S. New World, later renamed the S.S. Colonies.

[quote name='Candy']that was on the old barnacle barge, the Seawind Crown.[/QUOTE]Now then, I thought she always looked rather nice. (For those not familiar with this now-gone ship, see [url=http://www.maritimematters.com/seawindcrown1.html]here[/url].)

Anyhow this is a very interesting thread; I am a firm believer that HAL's reputation as a "cruise line for old people" is way off and this poll, while unscientific, seems to back that up.

Interesting that there is only one person in the 76-85 age group. I could have voted for my grandparents (only one of whom fits in that age group, though they're both young at heart) who took their first cruise on the old, old NIEUW AMSTERDAM (the one built in 1938, not 1983 - she was an Art Deco masterpiece that HAL held on to through the early '70s when she was, sadly, scrapped in Taiwan; she's still my grandfather's favorite ship), in 1958. So I have a long family history with HAL.

My grandparents, who are Jewish, have a friend (also Jewish) who was evacuated from occupied Austria to Britain just before WWII on the very first VOLENDAM, which was built in 1921 and scrapped in the '50s. I'm not sure when she and her husband were most recently on HAL though. My grandparents met them on that first cruise on NIEUW AMSTERDAM. The maitre d'hotel had been the friend's steward on that voyage 20 years before!

I'm in the youngest age group FYI.

Well,all I will admit to is......I am as old as my tongue but younger than my teeth!!(I still have all my own,BTW!)[i]When he was a little boy,my son eventually found out that I wasn't really 26....."Mummy,you are going to die soon!!"was all he could say................that was many,many moons ago... but I am still only 26 in his eyes,bless him!!([u]mind you,the grim reaper is closing in rapidly![/u]LOL![/i]

Terri;)

Awww, tomc! You just had to give my age away, didn't you? Thanks, though, for e-mailing me, asking to be added to my [url]www.DependsRUs[/url] website! I've already added you to our list, and you should be getting that Depends discount coupon soon!

[b][color=purple]We have nothing to hide, I am 57 and Rita is 55. That makes us 112. Maybe the 106+ is a couple. We are in two categories, but only allowed one vote.
But, seriously on our last cruise there were two 100 year old gentlemen on the ship. We thought that was amazingly.[/b][/color]

Ahhhh, Doug, thanks for that link. So sad to see her now. My husband and I cruised on the [b]Seawind Crown[/b] out of Aruba and I have to say it was an amazing trip. The beauty of it was her small size. The Cruise Director knew everyone by name, we danced to a small steel band on the stern of the ship and we could actually feel the breeze drift over us from the port to the starboard. My husband oggled the gorgeous young Brazilian girls dancing under the evening stars. We loved it. I miss those old ships truthfully.

I'll 'fess up, my very first cruise I mentioned earlier on the Queen of Bermuda was in 1959. Awk!!!:eek: But I was just a wee thing then:D .

[QUOTE]Maybe the next question should be what year was your first cruise?[/QUOTE]

Do it! Post the poll!!!! Sounds like a GREAT idea! :)
I'm going to do a male/female/don't know/who cares poll ... once these die down. :D

Archived