A Pinnacle Question not about the increased fee.

Schplinky

On RCL and X, it is stated in the ads for the specialty that the fee includes the gratuity, although some (if not most) choose to tip additionally. Does the fee on HAL include the tip or is a surcharge simply for attending the room?

Dave is correct. The $20 to dine there is a surcharge; none of it goes to the Pinnacle stewards.

A portion of the $10 pp/pd service charge that is automatically added to your bill does go to the Pinnacle stewards.

I also have a question regarding the Pinnacle Grill.

Are there any small meals or are all the meals for big eaters. I know that one of the steak meals served is very big and am wondering if there is anything that is not humongous in size as we are not huge eaters. I have heard that the fish is a disappointment so am wondering if there is anything else that is good but not large.

Jennie

Jennie, there is a petit filet mignon---IIRC it's 8 oz. If you eat all the courses that would still be a very large meal (I was quite full enough). If you cut out a course (or two) it would be a lighter meal, but then you have to ask yourself if it's worth the money.

Ruth,

Thanks, you have answered my question. We are not huge eaters and I thought that we might try the Pinnacle on this cruise and pay for it now at the $20p.p. rate, but we could not eat an 8oz piece of fillet each plus have the appetizers and the dessert. We just couldn't do it justice unfortunately, as we do love fine dining and the Pinnacle certainly sounds like that.

Jennie

Aussie Gal, the lamb chops aren't huge - I always order those, as I'm not a big meat-eater. I also don't always order the sides, just usually have the crab cakes, a salad, the lamb chops and of course, the Chocolate Volcano cake.:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ruth,

Thanks, you have answered my question. We are not huge eaters and I thought that we might try the Pinnacle on this cruise and pay for it now at the $20p.p. rate, but we could not eat an 8oz piece of fillet each plus have the appetizers and the dessert. We just couldn't do it justice unfortunately, as we do love fine dining and the Pinnacle certainly sounds like that.

Jennie

Maam,

Portion sizing in all finer establishments is available upon request.

Yes the opposite of Super Sizing...:eek:

The grill I would wager can comply with that requets from youall.:cool:

Oh, Auzzie Gal,

I see you are going on the BEST repositioning cruise. We just got off Veendam................our third time on her.........did that repo. cruise a couple of years ago on the Oosterdam. We didn't get up the Amazon, however. That's for another time, but it was 23 days of bliss.

Hope you have the most fantastic cruise ever.

I'm just looking at a 14 day one in N.Z. and Australia this December but the flight is almost $6,000. Is that normal?

The cruise is a deal........but not the flight.............decisions, decisions.:)

Aussie Gal, the lamb chops aren't huge - I always order those, as I'm not a big meat-eater. I also don't always order the sides, just usually have the crab cakes, a salad, the lamb chops and of course, the Chocolate Volcano cake.:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You have just convinced me to try the Pinnacle Grill. Being an aussie, I adore lamb chops so if they aren't huge then we will definitely eat there. :)

Jennie

Maam,

Portion sizing in all finer establishments is available upon request.

Yes the opposite of Super Sizing...:eek:

The grill I would wager can comply with that requets from youall.:cool:

I hadn't thought to request a smaller meal. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

I will go aheand and book the Pinnacle Grill through the Gift Order Form as there doesn't seem to be any other way to do it from here. It would be too costly to phone so I will fax the Order Form instead and that way we will have a night out at the old price! As we will be onboard for 34 nights, I think we will be looking for a change of dining. :o

Jennie

Oh, Auzzie Gal,

I see you are going on the BEST repositioning cruise. We just got off Veendam................our third time on her.........did that repo. cruise a couple of years ago on the Oosterdam. We didn't get up the Amazon, however. That's for another time, but it was 23 days of bliss.

Hope you have the most fantastic cruise ever.

I'm just looking at a 14 day one in N.Z. and Australia this December but the flight is almost $6,000. Is that normal?

The cruise is a deal........but not the flight.............decisions, decisions.:)

Thanks for your good wishes. Our cruise isn't considered a repositioning cruise as such as it is going up the Amazon. The prices for this cruise certainly were quite high. In fact much more expensive than our Antarctic cruise in January. We are so looking forward to going through the Canal and being on the Amazon as well as seeing all the different ports.

With regard to your flights to Australia and N.Z. unless you are looking at Business or First Class air travel, you are being charged far too much. We can fly to the States in Economy for about $2000Aud return or less, which would be about $1300US. If you use Qantas or Air New Zealand, you will have good flights with lots of extras. I was shocked when we flew A.A. throughout the U.S. in February. The ambience in the cabin was so different to our flights here. :(

Jennie

Wellkomen:;)

Yes thats quite a few nights aboard her.

Changes in menues for you is a given. Variation is a wonderful method of increasing the choice.

Even condiments do that..

Ports of call do add the choice factor in that equation as well.

As in Bermuda, which right now looks as if 100 mph winds shall hit those islands Mon/Tues coming now.. they have worked withh the lines to have mutally beneficial methods for consumption by the cruise guests.

Where your going do they have this as well? :D

All the best and fair winds on your back.

Calling HAL and/or FAXING them there are Software Programs which lower cost dramatically for you even from your Continent of Australia there.

Does your TA have them? eMail ?

Saving $AUD there is alway nice as in any country .:D

AAA American,

We will be going to quite a few Caribbean Islands including Aruba, Grenada, Barbados and the Dominican Republic so we could easily strike a Hurrican during our cruise. We are also going to 4 ports in the Amazon as well as the Mexican Riviera and Costa Rica.

As you say, the menus will be changed a few times hopefully and condiments can often help as well.

I do have a fax on this computer which costs practically nothing to send an order through so will use that.

Jennie

So much luck and health are wished for youall too.

Costa Rica is very nice and the Sloths both Three toe and Two Toe are quiote common on the East Coast of Costa Rica.

The Mexican Riviera has a nice outing to a theme p[ark we have been a few times if you have seen the other interesting areas there as well. I think it (name) starts with an X.

There as well the Amozon ave you tryed Chicken Mole? It can be made sweet, hot and/or plain as it is made with Chocolate.

The beverages there they make with chocolate as well are wonderful and diverse. Each area has its own concoction...

Aruba since the Dutch boys actions there has hurt for tourists now and the prices are really great lately here for tripo there.

You sound like it will be wonderful and on any HAL vessel it shall with youall abaord.

Happy seas to you.

AAA American,

Thanks for your good wishes. I have just faxed our Order Form to HAL. and also thanks for your good advice re the ports we are visiting.

We will be like wide eyed children on this cruise as the only port we have been to is L.A. We were there for the 1st time in February. Every place we will be visiting will be a new experience.

By the way, we visited New York for the 1st time last July and absolutely loved that city. We would both love to return there in the near future. We went to a wedding yesterday and the lass marrying our friend's son comes from N.Y. and is going to live here. Her parents flew out for the wedding. She is having another wedding in N.Y. next month.

Jennie

Tipping -- we have always personally given our waiters in the Pinnacle a tip at the end of the meal.

They get only pennies out of that automatic $10 per person per day deal.

$30 - new amount as of Oct 1 --- from what I have been told, it still does not included any gratuity for the Pinnacle staff.

The only person there who gets a tip is the wine steward as 15% is automatically added onto that bar bill.

We fought a war over this one, I was a fatality.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=401444

If it brings you any comfort, there are wars about this on Celebrity and RCL, where the literature clearly states that the gratuity is included. Folks attribute all sorts of motives to refusing or offering additional tips.

Thanks Schplinky, it might bring me back from the dead. I think you will really like your combination Walt Disney World/ HAL cruise. we did that last fall. We drove from Texas to Walt disney World then the did a week cruise on the Zuiderdam. You will have cooler weather in Disney World we did it in Sept. After Disney World the cruise will seem very luxurious and the food will be welcome. I hope it's all good!

Oh he will convert! While we did the smaller Disneyland in California (have yet to do World in Florida) we loved our two days in the "happiest place on earth" as well as our day at Universal in Hollywood. I can't imagine any adult not ending up liking a Disney theme park. They would have to have lost their heart.

Enjoy your park visit and do convert your partner. Also, enjoy your HAL cruise.

Archived