Help-Can we make an 11:30 flight in Ft. Lauderdale?

Avidcruiser

I just found out that Continental changed our flight coming home from our Freedom cruise. It was 12:35 and it is now 11:35. I know we were already cutting it close with 12:30, does anyone think we can make an 11:30 flight?

It's Thanksgiving week so all other flights are pretty well booked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I hope the answer is YES! We, also, had our flight time changed from 12:45 to 11:30 and I had the same question. We did the same cruise last year and flew home from FLL, so I have some experience with the airport. I figure if we carry our own luggage off first thing, then it should be ok. The airport is very close to the pier, so travel time is minimal. Good luck to us both!

I think you'll be able to make the 11:30 flight. We are sailing this week out of Port Everglades and my brother has a 11:15 return flight -- so I'll let you know! We sailed last Christmas out of FLL and we were off the ship by 9 am (and we were one of the last groups called because we live locally -- no travel connections). The port is very close to the airport (10 minutes away). Two suggestions that might help -- we've noticed that the check in process for luggage has been slow recently at FLL. You're better off using the skycabs outside if it's crowded. Plus, when we disembarked last Christmas, we used a porter for our luggage and moved to the front of the customs line (in the building where you locate your bags). There was a long line of people waiting to get the OK from a customs official before exiting -- but we simply followed the porter and she waved us through! I can let you know next week how it goes with my brother and his return flight.

I think you'll be able to make the 11:30 flight. We are sailing this week out of Port Everglades and my brother has a 11:15 return flight -- so I'll let you know! We sailed last Christmas out of FLL and we were off the ship by 9 am (and we were one of the last groups called because we live locally -- no travel connections). The port is very close to the airport (10 minutes away). Two suggestions that might help -- we've noticed that the check in process for luggage has been slow recently at FLL. You're better off using the skycabs outside if it's crowded. Plus, when we disembarked last Christmas, we used a porter for our luggage and moved to the front of the customs line (in the building where you locate your bags). There was a long line of people waiting to get the OK from a customs official before exiting -- but we simply followed the porter and she waved us through! I can let you know next week how it goes with my brother and his return flight.

Doesn't Freedom dock in Miami, not FLL?

Oops -- sorry, didn't notice that you were cruising on Freedom out of the Port of Miami. I think you'll still be able to make it -- it's about 30 minutes (25 miles). Just keep in mind what I mentioned about the occasional delays at the check in counters at FLL -- sometimes even the self-serve kiosks can be crowded. You might be able to expedite the baggage check in curbside. Don't worry about getting delayed in the security lines -- the TSA agents will pull you out of the line if your flight is scheduled to leave soon (they will make announcements as needed and move people to the front of the lines if necessary). Hope this helps.

Yes, Freedom docks in Miami, not Port Everglades. No way would I want to make an 11:30 FLL flight when I docked in Miami. I would say you will HAVE to do the self disembark option and carry your own bags off. That way you'll be first off the ship. If you've been following the Freedom threads lately, it is taking a long time to go thru immigration. Good luck as I know how difficult it can be to change a flight. I'd call Continental and see what your other options are as a back up.

You will make your flight provided you ship docks on time and you self debark. Ive routinely made 745a MIA flights doing self-debarkation, so tack on an additional 30 - 45 min to get to FLL. Just keep in mind that FLL is a smaller airport and will be flooded with pax from the cruise ships there, so the sooner you arrive the better.

I know that you can definitely make the 11:30am flight -- I just did it. And - you do not need to self-disembark. Just ask for the White luggage tags -- which disembark directly after those carrying their own luggage.

They call the white tags around 7am -- but, I didn't get off the ship until almost 9am and had no trouble getting to the airport in FLL on time. However, I did check-in online the night before on the ship. I was thru the baggage check and security and at the gate by about 10:20am.

Good luck - and have a great trip!

Thanks everyone- We got nervous about a flight so early and we are docking in Miami! Luckily we were able to change it to a 7pm flight. Not my first choice but better than missing a flight. It's tricky since it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving so everything is pretty much booked. So I guess we are lucky

I also think you would have made you flight but why risk it when now you have the later flight. I dont like the worry even if we get there in plenty of time. Now that you have all day rent a car (about $50, for one big enough for all the luggage :D) and enjoy FLL, we did that our last trip and felt like we extended our vacation, the water taxi was great!

Thanks everyone- We got nervous about a flight so early and we are docking in Miami! Luckily we were able to change it to a 7pm flight. Not my first choice but better than missing a flight. It's tricky since it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving so everything is pretty much booked. So I guess we are lucky

Just curious - why did you change when you got such positive responses here?

Curious what the benefit is to do airline online checkin with baggage. Did you print your boarding passes? Did you specify how many bags you had?

What is the process when you get to the airport if you've already checkin?

Benefit -- don't know. It just gives me peace of mind that the airline "knows" I'm coming and doesn't put me at the top of the list when they start giving away unconfirmed seats.

I did not print my boarding pass on board - as it was about 1am and I was the only person in the internet area - and didn't know where the printer was. At the airport, I just had to print my boarding pass and weigh my luggage -- it was quick. However, probably not any quicker than those that hadn't checked in already. Like I said just peace of mind.:cool:

In April of this year (2006), at Easter time, we had a 10:50am flight from FLL, ship returning to Miami that morning. There were four of us - DH, me, and two teenage girls, and I pack lots of luggage. DH was not convinced we could make it with any kind of shared ride, and there was definitely no time to rent a car and drive up there (we have done that before, only ~$40 to rent a car one way). Wanting to be sure we made it, we hired a local south Florida limo company (http://www.floridalimo.com/). We made reservations in advance for a full sized limo, primarily for space need for all of our bags. On the way down before the cruise, we had hired them with a Town Car to take us to our South Beach hotel where we stayed for one night, and they squeeed all our bags with the trunk half open and strapped down. When the ship arrived in port at 7am, we were on the phone to them to confirm our ride, and we asked for priority debarkation, which was allowed, and we got off by 745am. The limo driver was actually a little late getting there, but by 810am we were underway, and being a Sunday, there was not much traffic on I-95 up to FLL. We made it in 25 minutes or so, and we checked our bags at curbside before 9am, in plenty of time for our flight. The point is, they turned out to be a reliable firm, plenty of communication, and not terribly expensive. Certainly more than a shared van ride, but necessary in order to be sure to make the flight.

Good Luck to you and enjoy your cruise!

We have an 11:20 A.M. flight out of FLL after our Enchantment New Year's cruise, but we return on a Wednesday, so no other cruise ship competition flooding the airport in the morning. We can also be among the first off, but I've also warned the kids in advance that we'll be packing lightly, so that we CAN carry our own bags off if we dock late. My daughter has already announced that she's carrying her scuba gear and a couple of changes of clothing. :) (this is the young lady who previously couldn't imagine not having at least three outfits per day)

Don't know if this is a consideration or even a possibility for you... being Thankgiving week and all... but you are entititled to a full refund of your air fare (with no penalty) if the airlines changes your flight by even one minute.(has to be in balck and white though) So you would have the entire money from your flight to purchase ANY other flight... just a thought.

I have an 11:30 flight for my freedom cruise too. My suggestion is to make sure you are in the first group off and if possibly carry your own luggage off, and arrange your own transportation. I have made that flight several times with plenty of time to spare.

If you are first off, barring no delays with the ship getting in you should be off by 8:30, if your car is waiting, by time you get your luggage, etc and are on the road by 900 you should be at the airport at 930 or so and its not as big as miami so getting thru the airport shouldnt be that bad.

But i just saw that you changed your flights already so I guess you dont have to worry.

DW and I just got off the Navigator this past Sat 9/16 and we had a 11:15 flight out of Ft Lauderdale. We got white tags for early debarkation so we were in the first group. We were off the ship by 7 and waiting for our bags to come out of the carousel. By 7:20 we had all our bags and ran out to get a Taxi. There was almost no traffic and we made it to FLL I think by 8am. We were checked in and through security, sitting at the gate shortly after 8. So it can be done, just hope that customs and RCCL aren't having any problems or delays the morning you get in. And like others said, make sure you're in that first group! :)

There was a special group that got off before the first colored tags, and it was for those that had carry-on luggage only. So if you pack light you could try to make it in that group as another option. They were able to get off at around 6:30.

Lastly, the Taxi from the port of Miami to FLL was about $71. When we got in the week before, we took a towncar from FLL to the hotel by the port (Holiday Inn) and it was only $66. Good Luck.

Just curious - why did you change when you got such positive responses here?

I'm a very nervous traveler. I'm always at the airport way early. I knew that if I didn't change I'd be stressed out the whole cruise week about making it.

They were very helpful at Continental, and since the flight was available they changed it with no problem. I know we probably could have made the earlier flight but this way we don't have to worry and we can spend the day how we want in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Speaking of that, what would be the easiest way to rent a car from the Miami pier. Anything in walking distance?

Archived