HAL will Introduce a New Mariner Tile Design for 2007

LAFFNVEGAS

I think this would be a shame if they ceased having a tile for each ship. That's part of the fun of sailing different ships. I'm sure the bean counters have figured out that "one size fits all" will be much less expensive for them, but it would disappoint me if they follow through.

I think this would be a shame if they ceased having a tile for each ship. That's part of the fun of sailing different ships. I'm sure the bean counters have figured out that "one size fits all" will be much less expensive for them, but it would disappoint me if they follow through.

Jim, I do not think it is a matter of following through, it is already a done deal.

Wow those are really cool new designs! I like the nostalgic ship poster subjects.

The only problem I see is not being ship specific you will begin to get duplicate tiles......unless there are many different designs.

Lisa,

Did your friend say how many different designs there would be?.....or is it just those 4?

Wow those are really cool new designs! I like the nostalgic ship poster subjects.

The only problem I see is not being ship specific you will begin to get duplicate tiles......unless there are many different designs.

Lisa,

Did your friend say how many different designs there would be?.....or is it just those 4?

He stated these would be a new series with a slightly different look, these are just the first 4 that will be introduced.

... it is already a done deal.
Too bad. Only one of them looks Dutch. That's always been a hallmark of the tiles. Every one up until now, regardless of ship featured (and sometimes just people,) looked very Dutch to reflect the line's heritage. While I appreciate the honor to the U.S. in featuring the Statue of Liberty, it's gonna' take a while for me to warm up to this.

But, I guess it's a good deal for those who already have umpteen dozen of the old ones.

Too bad. Only one of them looks Dutch. That's always been a hallmark of the tiles. Every one up until now, regardless of ship featured (and sometimes just people,) looked very Dutch to reflect the line's heritage. While I appreciate the honor to the U.S. in featuring the Statue of Liberty, it's gonna' take a while for me to warm up to this.

But, I guess it's a good deal for those who already have umpteen dozen of the old ones.

Jim,

They may not be high on "Dutchness", but they are very, very much HAL history. These are copies of HAL posters and post cards from from around the turn of the century to the 1930s. These are all historic designs (including the Statue of Liberty design) emphasizing the link between America and Holland which HAL has always promoted from their inception as a trans-atlantic line.

As long as there are many differnt designs and they stick with the HAL tradition designs, I will enjoy receiving them.

I only have a few tiles as we are new to cruising but I do like the new designs. I will miss getting the ones with the ships tho, we have the Oostersam anf the Rotterdam. We will be on the Rotterdam again this Christmas and New Years so maybe we will get 2 more of the old tiles! Happy cruising!!!!!

I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I do hope the design changes every year, though. I would hate to have too many all the same.

Thanks for the head's up, Lisa. At least now I won't be surprised when I get the first one.

Valerie, I have to agree. At first I was just not sure, I really liked having the ship that I was cruising on, on the tile but...:) The more you look at these tiles the more they grow on you. I wish I could show you a bigger picture. I think they will actually go over well. Hey for those that sell them on eBay the old ones my actually go up in value. Better go buy them now:D Or go on several cruises yet this year:cool:

There were always different tiles for differend ships, and the name of the ship was on the tile, but the ship itself was not always on the tile. We have tiles of traditionally dressed Dutch people as well as tiles of windmills.

I am not sure how I feel about this yet. I do hope that each ship has its own tile no matter what the picture -- because the incentive to create a collection as well as the memories associated with tiles unique to each ship is important. It is true that the new tiles do not look much like the traditional Delft tiles, but I have to admit that art deco/'30s look is also extremely attractive. (I also greatly enjoy the old posters and photos that are posted on the walls of the cabin corridors on the Westerdam). Oh, hell, I admit it, I am fascinated with old ships!

I think I like the them but hope, hope, hope that we get a Noordam one on our upcoming cruise before they switch to the new ones. I'd really like to have one from Noordam.

The ones we received a couple of weeks ago on Noordam were from the old stock.... really old stock... they are Noordam I tiles. On Prinsendam, we received one Prinsendam I and one Prinsendam II.

This definitely ruins our plans to do over our bar with HAL tiles.

I am not certain they will look nice among the various "ship" tiles.

I think a pretty nice design could be worked out using the new tiles in the corners or midway on the sides... even a complete row on the sides if you get enough. It looks like the blue will be more dominant than on the old tiles, so they should work for accent or borders.

The ones we received a couple of weeks ago on Noordam were from the old stock.... really old stock... they are Noordam I tiles. On Prinsendam, we received one Prinsendam I and one Prinsendam II.

LOL....you got me on that one.

If it were old stock they would have had them since 1927 which was its last sailing.:) I doubt they would have had them that long.

It's only recently that I have gotten current ships. In the past, I got a tile of some previous iteration of the same ship I was on

This link should show you the correct tile that you would have recieved. I checked it when I found this link here on CC and sure enough they were all right. Grumpy the tiles for the Prinsendam for this year are of the Prinsendam I

http://www.hollandamerica.com/mariner/marinerTegels.do

I would guess that the size would be exactly the same as the present tiles.

Archived