Say Goodbye to Ranch Steak, Hello to Fresh Water Pools (and other enhancements!)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I can vouch for the fresh water pools. They were fresh water on our May Explorer cruise. Very nice surprise. I had expected them to change to salt-water at some point in the cruise, but they stayed fresh. They didn't seem to get very "nasty" either. I don't know if they changed the water or not, but I have to assume that they did. The de-salinaters on the Voyager-class ships are huge.

We also had the two-steward system. There was a card with both of our stewards on our desk, but we only saw the one and very frequently. Chatted with him often. He had been working for RCCL for many years and was extremely professional.

I think the lunch idea is great! Yes I know it's still fast-food, but a quesadilla or reuben sounds very good. Will this be set up in a separate part of the dining room? Or is all the lunch in the dining room changing to the 30 minute express thing?[/SIZE][/FONT]

On Voyager 7/2 the pools were sitll salt water...

The bistro menu in the dining room for lunch was EXCELLENT!!!! I reccomend throwing a pair of shorts and a shirt on over your bathing suits and going down there everyday, rather than visiting the windjammer...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone that has been on the Mariner since the menu changes posted the menus anywhere? The ones I have seen are for the old menu. Also, do they serve the same menu on both the Eastern and Western itineraries? I like to plan where I am going to eat each night, and would like to know in advance what is served on which nights!!

The Vision had the new luncheon menu in May on its repositioning cruise. Was a very welcome change! Each item is prepared to order (NOT fast food style), arrived hot and fresh. Same menu every day...so you can plan to order something different tomorrow, etc. A vast improvement over the old lluncheon concept! Will be on the Serenade to AK in September and again on the Panama Canal cruise 10/05...also glad to see a change in the Portofino menu!

We've never cruised on RCCL or Carnival, and always wondered why you'd want salt water pools on the ship and I think I "get it" now; that the water is replenished frequently/every day. It seemed that it would be unpleasant in terms of burning eyes, cuts/scrapes, etc.

On our previous Princess cruises I've never seen any problems with the fresh water pools being dirty/gunky/oily. On the contrary I was VERY surprised based on the level of usage at how clean the pools seemed to stay throughout the week. Granted we typically stick with the 'adult-only' pools and avoid the more crowded kids pools, so that may make a difference? And also I believe Princess limits the number of children booked on a given cruise, so maybe there are just fewer lotioned kids in the pools?

Or that someone else isn't kidding you. There's something about the way a few lines were written such as, " The ranch steak has been removed from the menu", that sounds a little fishy, because the ranch steak is the joke here on the board. "All menus are in place and are beautiful" Then I guess we'll be seeing them on the next cruise?. "Royal Brasseri 30", a 30 minute sit down served lunch? Maybe everyone else here knows you're kidding and going along with it? And I'm the idiot asking this. LOL

WOW! A lot of posts came in while I hunted and pecked this and seeing some have experienced this already. This is Great!

[quote name='BurBunny']Hi all!

Just got notified of some enhancements coming to Royal Caribbean, including dining changes, fresh water pools and other added benefits. Time to celebrate!

Food and Beverage Enhancements

We have implemented a new luncheon dining option in the main dining room

called "Royal Brasserie 30" The idea is to offer a less formal lunch

setting with 30 minute plated service from start to finish . This program

is intended to reduce long lines that occur at times in the Windjammer Cafe

during lunch hours.

The bistro style menu offers such items as fish and chips , quesadillas,

seafood pasta, Ruben sandwich, barbecue spareribs and grilled salmon.

We have increased our investment in food and have upgraded the quality of

the lobster and beef onboard all RCI ships . The Ranch steak has been

removed from the menu. All new menus are in place and are beautiful ,

with artwork from the ship depicted on the cover.

We are introducing a new Portofino menu on RD and Vy Class ships this month

ONBOARD ENHANCEMENTS

We are in the process of converting all salt water pools to fresh water.

We have introduced a new "team Cleaning " concept that will be rolled out

fleet wide by September

Two stateroom attendants work together to clean and service staterooms

Guests have two staterooms attendants to call upon, this will offer

improved efficiency and guest satisfaction.

Attendants spend more time on the floor , as one member of the team serves

as a dedicated 'linen runner" to replenish supplies.

European Experience

We have added local music , local food selections and local fashion shows

Ship photographers will be accompanying shore excursion s in Europe

We are adding a second international ambassador on board our European

sailing's to enhance the language experience and support foreign speaking

guests.

We have added three new RCI production shows this season (West End to

Broadway, Tango Buenos Aires and City of Dreams)

We have introduced the Explorer Academy , where guests can take ice

skating lessons from professionals , take music lessons from members of

the orchestra, take dance and theater lessons from the production staff.[/QUOTE]

Yuck - I am NOT happy to hear that they are switching to freshwater pools. :-( Saltwater is much preferable - IMHO. FOr those of you that are not familiar with these - saltwater pools are MUCH healthier for your skin - NO burning of the eyes (a much stronger type of chlorine is required for freshwater), and much less damaging to fabrics as well.

I will miss the saltwater pools as they gave me extra bouancy to acqua -walk (acqua jogging for people with foot problems). I'll have to bring my acqua jogging belt but that is less of hassle than before as we moved south and can now drive to our cruise. I will stick with the Adult only pool though.

The original member who posted this thread is a reputable cruise critic. Her advise over the years especially about hotels and ships has been very valuable. Since many reported some of these changes on their recent cruises, it sure looks like these are new features to come. I too like Salt water vs. fresh water for its curative powers to the skin. Being from New England, the Atlantic is always too cold to enjoy in our short Summer season.
Bon Voyage

[quote name='gambler']I do not like the team concept, we always enjoy getting to know our room steward and their personal attention. How do you tip in this case? Half to each?[/QUOTE]

We had a team on our 6/13 Legend cruise. I think it worked out great. Both of our cabin stewards were fantastic and always seemed to be around in the halls.

As far as tipping, you can follow the guidelines of RCCL and they will split it. We tipped extra as they kept our cooler full of ice everyday, were always around and very fun to talk with.

Keeping up with this thread makes me smile and think of how much fun cruising really is!!! On the Vision's repositioning cruise this May the new menu for lunch was in its first week (some snags, of course, but they really were trying hard and the food was far better than the old lunches). Can't remember if the "ranch" steak had yet been renamed, but everytime I saw it on the menu I snickered to myself about the very long thread on the old boards "the DREADED RANCH Steak". Guess that will always be with me...I couldn't bring myself to order one!!!!! Hope you all have a great day...six weeks and three days til the Serenade in Alaska!!!!!

We found "team cleaning" when we cruised for the second time on Explorer of the Seas Easter week. It worked out as well as having one ~ our cabins were spotless and we did get to know both.

As for fresh water pools ~ guess I am in the minority ~ I like salt water pools when on a cruise ship. The one time we cruised on a Princess ship, by the 4th day, we stopped going in the pools......too slimy, yellowish looking!

Sounds like a plus re: 'Bistro food". Thanks for the update!

Hello all,
Does anyone have a copy of the "new" lunch menu. I cringe every time I think about having to select from the same menu [i]every[/i] day. Is there enough selection to keep people happy on a 9 night cruise?
If you've tried everything on the lunch menu that appeals to you and you want something different, can you request something else?
My parents took their honeymoon on the France (now the Norway) and at that time (1968) they were dropping good caviar on plates with ice cream scoopers (no extra charge)...an era long gone.
As far as saltwater vs freshwater...I always liked the salt water. It has amazing healing properties and is great for the skin--unlike harsh chlorine.
Still looking forward to our honeymoon cruise on Grandeur May 2005...and hoping the menu has enough selection for lunch. =)

Fresh-water pool: Sounds great to me. The fresh-water pools on Disney's ships do not seem dirty, though the number of people using them is tremendous.

Lunch menu: I don't care to linger over lunch, so the 30 minutes sounds wonderful.

Stateroom attendant teams: I don't have much opinion on this one. I would assume that linen replacement is the most time consuming part of this job, and I'm sure that RCCL did a cost and time effectiveness study before making this decision. I'd like details on how the tip is to change and how it breaks down between the two partner attendants.

Ice skating lessons sound great. I'm sure my daughters would be interested.

I really prefer fresh water pools. Disney does a great job keeping theirs clean. I believe they drain them daily but I'm not sure.

Is there any time frame for all these changes? We sail in October, I would love for this to be done by then.

Mark

[quote name='Donnaluv2cruise']I wish they would change the towel situation. I hate the idea of carrying that towel everywhere. It is so nice on Celebrity, when you're finished swimming and go for something to eat, you deposit your towel in the hampers provided. When you're ready for another swim, you grab a fresh towel. I also thinks it slightly helps with the chair hogs. Sort of.[/QUOTE]
[color=darkorchid][b]It's been so long since I've been on RCCL (going in Oct) that I just assumed the towels would be on the pool deck with a hamper for the dirties. We have to lug a towel around on our vacation? Ugh. NCL does the towel thing like Celebrity[/b][/color].

The towel issue is much ado about nothing. At the beginning of the cruise the room attendant(steward) will give each of you a colored beach towel for use at the pool in your cabin. If you want two or three, no problem just ask. If you go to the pool with your towel and it gets wet, dirty or something else you can exchange it for another. There were times on our last 16 day cruise when I would forget my towel and I just told the person at the towel exchange, and they gave me another. I am still waiting for the single first person to actually show a bill in this forum where they were charged for a towel. The idea is I am sure to make people take responsibility for the towels they take off the ship on shore excursions. Nothing more. In other words I am sure they were losing a hundred of more towels a week in the ports of call, and they are trying to stop that. People are much more likely to be a good steward of a towel if they think it will cost them if it gets lost.

jc

Archived