Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

Well, we're heading to New Orleans. If the cruise is a go tomorrow, we're still close enough to make it. If it switched to NOLA or Mobile, we're in even better shape. :)

Ill just reebook later on or next month if it's New Orleans, not enough time to Drive there from Fort Worth,Texas and then if it's noy No then a wasted trip and Money!!;) Im having to hold DW back with a electric fence shes ready to go anywheres, probably rent us a cabin on the lake and think were on a cruise ship when we look out the window at the water!!:p :D.

This is the lastest from the Carnival website:

We are closely monitoring the situation in Galveston and the impact from Hurricane Ike. We do not currently have a lot of information about the status of the shipping channel, cruise terminal or the port access infrastructure. Local communication has been very challenging and there are restrictions against incoming traffic into the Galveston area.

We do not expect the Port of Galveston to be open on Monday and there is tremendous uncertainty about when the port will be available to us next week. Due to this situation, we will now cancel the following cruises:

Carnival Conquest September 14, 2008 departure that was re-scheduled to a 6 day cruise departing on Monday, September 15.

Carnival Ecstasy September 15, 2008 departure

Guests will receive a full refund of cruise fare and we will process these refunds within three weeks.

• Carnival Conquest September 7, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Conquest cruise that departed on September 7 will return to New Orleans on Monday, September 15. Guests will be able to debark on Monday or Tuesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

• Carnival Ecstasy September 11, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Ecstasy cruise that departed on September 11, 2008 will return to New Orleans on Tuesday, September 16 (2:00 PM arrival). Guests will be able to debark on Tuesday or Wednesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

We sincerely apologize to our guests that are impacted by these cancelled or modified cruises. Most importantly, we hope that all of those that reside in the areas impacted by Hurricane Ike were able to remain safe. We also wish a speedy recovery to those that may have sustained damage homes or businesses.

Sure I can see all of those passengers waiting onboard for the ships to return to Galveston (hell that could be a month)!!!

• 1 month later...

We went to a wedding last Sunday on the Conquest while it was at Bayport. We were not sailing. It was painful to board the Conquest and then have to get off. Anyway, that new Bayport terminal was really nice!!

We arrived at 1030 and boarded the Conquest at about 1135. There weren't any bottlenecks on the inside.

We went to a wedding last Sunday on the Conquest while it was at Bayport. We were not sailing. It was painful to board the Conquest and then have to get off. Anyway, that new Bayport terminal was really nice!!

We arrived at 1030 and boarded the Conquest at about 1135. There weren't any bottlenecks on the inside.

I met the bride & groom AND the mother & father of the bride as well. They had a great time. I thought the groom should have 'brought us in' on the return though. (Assuming we are talking about the same wedding-he is a harbor pilot) Although re-reading your post your wedding party may have been the weekend we debarked.

Agree, Bayport was wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

You should have called us, we coulda snuck you on :p, in hindsight, you probably needed a vacation!

Okay- now that Galveston is again taking ships- does anyone have any upadates on new lines coming to Galveston- or the new terminal?

I have a friend that works for the city of houston and she had mentioned that the city is really working on getting cruise lines back to Houston and are in heavy talks. But they are not sure when it will happen, probably not til at least 2010. It is ashame they built this $81 million facility and it is just sitting there not being used! Love to see Princess come back to the area and a newer Norwegian ship

I have a friend that works for the city of houston and she had mentioned that the city is really working on getting cruise lines back to Houston and are in heavy talks. But they are not sure when it will happen, probably not til at least 2010. It is ashame they built this $81 million facility and it is just sitting there not being used! Love to see Princess come back to the area and a newer Norwegian ship

I, too, would love to see Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, Holland America, or ANY cruiseline cruise out of the Bayport Terminal.:)

Yea, please bring other ships or change up the itinearies a little. The new Carnival itenarary looks good with the Bahamas and Key West. It seems popular.

Really was great getting to the Panama Canal on Celebrity years ago. Grand Princess 7 day was good too.

Could we do a possible list of ports? How about other US ports beside Key West like New Orleans or Mobile? Combine them with Caribbean ports for nice routes.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like that MSC 10 day. I love cruising out of Galveston, as I am right between Houston and Galveston. plus my husband has a branch office within blocks of Galveston, so we get free parking. But I would love to try something different. We opted to not take a cruise this year as we have "been there, done that" on all the cruises leaving from this area. There are 5 of us, so it doesn't make sense to fly to Florida. We drove to NOLA in January and did the NCL Spirit, but there is Nothing like driving 30 minutes and hopping on a ship! It is truly a shame that we can't get something from here. I looked at some of the bargains out of Florida as compared to Texas, and they are selling at about 1/3 of the price in Florida as they don't have enough market for all those ships. I wish they would get smart and move a few here. :)

The Bayport Terminal is not in the city of Houston. The city of Pasadena claims the port :) It is a very nice facility and when we took the tour it looked great for handling larger groups of people.

Carnival has grown in their fierce loyalty to Galveston and I doubt the would make a major move.

MSC has mixed reviews on their ships and service. We toured the MSC Opera when she was sparkling brand new in Ft. Lauderdale. Strange layouts for food, poor quality of shops and a few other non-traditional things. The Opera did have a incredible pool area, upper deck and great theatre.

Snooze... cruises for a while taken off the planner. Lost my mother to Alzheimers (sp) and my dad is not doing well after all of the stress. 81 year old people get better slowly and worse quickly.

The Bayport Terminal is not in the city of Houston. The city of Pasadena claims the port :) ...

However, the Bayport Cruise complex is run by the Port of Houston Authority and they are in discussion with various cruise lines, not Pasadena. 05.gif

Just my Money_2_cents_prv.gif,

Kat 110105_emYA10_prv.gif

• 3 weeks later...
The Bayport Terminal is not in the city of Houston. The city of Pasadena claims the port :) It is a very nice facility and when we took the tour it looked great for handling larger groups of people.

Carnival has grown in their fierce loyalty to Galveston and I doubt the would make a major move.

MSC has mixed reviews on their ships and service. We toured the MSC Opera when she was sparkling brand new in Ft. Lauderdale. Strange layouts for food, poor quality of shops and a few other non-traditional things. The Opera did have a incredible pool area, upper deck and great theatre.

Snooze... cruises for a while taken off the planner. Lost my mother to Alzheimers (sp) and my dad is not doing well after all of the stress. 81 year old people get better slowly and worse quickly.

Sorry to hear about your mother. Yes it does change things. I lost my mother last year. Oddly I had a cruise already schedule for two days following the funeral. It helped.

Sorry I missed your post, but caught it with this last query.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay- just checking in....

Has anyone heard any new updates? We are planning on a cruise in March. Having to fly to Fort Lauderdale. We are on the MSC Orchestra. Even with all the complainers, we ARE having a great time.

All I need to do is re-read GalvestonCruisers responses. I agree 100%.

All said- I would love a MSC 10 dayer here!!

Any news?????????

Okay- just checking in....

Has anyone heard any new updates? We are planning on a cruise in March. Having to fly to Fort Lauderdale. We are on the MSC Orchestra. Even with all the complainers, we ARE having a great time.

All I need to do is re-read GalvestonCruisers responses. I agree 100%.

All said- I would love a MSC 10 dayer here!!

Any news?????????

Sweet. Orchestra. If we are lucky enough to get MSC we'd probably get The Lirica. The Orchestra would be beyond dreams. But you never know. Enjoy.

Archived