*Report from the Voyage of the Spammed*

RevNeal

Always a good time when local bands come out and serenade the ships' pax.

For Oosterdam's maiden call at Santo Tomas de Castillo during our gay charter cruise, we listened to a band on the pier that included a massive wooden xylophone as we enjoyed breakfast on our verandah. **At first we couldn't figure out what song they were playing....

...then it came to us:*

"New York, New York"

:eek: :D

I'm seeing reports of a quake from 4.5 to 6.5 with power outages. Seems to be centered on the west side of the big island.
Uhhh, that's where the Spamdam is today... OK, what are you guys up to?:eek:

The reports I'm hearing mostly concern power outages on Maui.

I can't imagine the "Spaamers" going ashore today.

I can't get through to Scotty, Martha or Greg - I'm sure the power outage has shut down cellular services on the island...

I'm betting that the Captain is putting out to sea again where it's safer for the ship and her passengers...

We just received word that we will not be allowed to go ashore in Kona today. We are now raising anchor and proceeding to cruise to observe the volcano from sea later tonight.

Thanks so much for the update - glad you're all safe!

Sorry you all have to miss Kona one of my favorite ports, but much better to be safe than sorry. You are gonna love the volcano.

Mary: When we have lunch together in Nov. you will have to spill all the beans about this CC group :) . Hope everyone is safe on the islands.

Thanks so much for the update - glad you're all safe!

Evidently a few onshore (not sure if pax or shore ex staff) and in process of getting them returned to ship and then stow tenders and pull anchor. Captain saind 6.1 magnitude. We can still feel some minor aftershocks on ship. Cruising today for viewing of volcano. Aloha..

Of all the days I have spent in Hawaii yesterday must have been the best by a long shot. There are not enough superlatives in the English language to convey what a gracious hostess and guide Aloha Pride (Mary), her husband Keaka, and sister Kristen were.

They picked us up right on time and took us to so many places---places the HAL tours never get to. I went splashing into the waves on the North Shore (er, thanks for the help getting out, folks ;) ).

After that we (I!) climbed up to Wiamea Falls and, with the extensive help of our three guides, managed to climb through the mud and over the rocks to the cold water. It was so cool! (teenage use of the word.) Did I mention I wasn't wearing my swimsuit?

Thank you Mary, Keaka, and Kristen for letting your Spirit of Aloha flow to me.

Yes, we had an earthquake this morning. All is well aboard.

I was at the bathroom sink when I felt the ship starting to break apart. :eek: I have been in a lower aft cabin during docking; I have been near the front when the anchor drops. This time I am dead (did I say "dead"?) center and should not have felt a thing. A few minutes later the Captain came on to inform us of the quake, it was 6.3, and shoreside operations were being assessed.

Since then he has kept us well informed right up until the cancellations.

So, I got up way too early for nothing. :rolleyes: Yawn.

From ABC News....

The U.S. Geological Survey says several aftershocks followed it, including one that measured in at 5.8 in magnitude.

There's no word yet how much damage they may have done. The quake hit just a few miles north-northwest of Kailua Kona, a town on the west coast of the Big Island, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, part of the U.S. Geological Survey. Blakeman says researchers are still trying to determine just how many aftershocks hit.

He says there's no risk of a Pacific-wide tsunami, but the tremblers could mean significant wave activity in Hawaii. The quake occurred about 155 miles to the southeast of Honolulu, the state capital, in Oahu.

I hope we hear from AlohaPride. She's right in the midst of it, from what I'm hearing.
The news services are starting to get there act together now. There were reports of damage and mudslides on Oahu, but that has now been changed to The Island of Hawaii. (Big Island) Methinks some of the news people don't know the difference between the islands.

Archived