*Report from the Voyage of the Spammed*

RevNeal

... along the Big Island's shore, heading for the lava fields at a slow 10 knotts.

I can't find any mention of the lava fields after this post Sun, 10:52p EDT. How was it? I've always wanted to see them from a ship.

I can't find any mention of the lava fields after this post Sun, 10:52p EDT. How was it? I've always wanted to see them from a ship.
We saw them at night from a cruise ship in 1992 as we sailed around the southern end of the island from Hilo to Kona. It was very spectacular to see.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I wonder how the viewing was of the lava going into the ocean. In all the times we have been to the Big Island this is something we have never seen and would love to from a ship.

To Mary and Keaka:

I'd like to also express my relief that you both are safe. Mary, sorry you are not feeling well. You were awfully nice to provide a special tour for the "Spamdammers". I'm keeping this short because I've had trouble accessing this site since yesterday evening.

Aloha nui loa,

Karin

ps Thanks also to Rev Neal and all his motley crew who have been posting to this thread. What a journey!

I was thinking the same thing last night. I wonder how the viewing was of the lava going into the ocean. In all the times we have been to the Big Island this is something we have never seen and would love to from a ship.

We've been following this thread and are glad to hear all are doing OK and having a terrific time.

As for the lava - I saw it a few years ago from the Carnival Spirit. At the time, there wasn't much of a flow and none of the pictures or video even came out (all you saw was a small red dot).

Oh well, it was nice to say I was there at least.

Mary,

Very glad that you and your family are safe and sound. Thank you for reporting .

Hope that you are feeling better very very soon :)

RevNeal,

Sorry that your excursions were ruined , but I am definately envious of you all with 5 beautiful days at sea ahead of you :)

So glad you are all safe and enjoying yourselves. The Zaandam is one of my favorite HAL ships. Really enjoying reading the day by day experiences. Could someone please tell me who the Captain, Hotel Manager, Guest Relations Manager and HeadWaiter (Maitre'D) are? Look forward to reading more of your adventures. Thank You.

Last night I attempted (twice) to post this, but could not access Cruise Critic. So here goes:

As we sail away from these beautiful islands we leave Pele and the other gods and goddesses appeased.

The chocolate goddess is also pleased. :D And no, it was not her displeasure that caused the earthquake---no matter what grannynurse tries to sell you. (But I do like being compared to Mother Nature, Heather. ;) )

Some of Lahaina's tours were cancelled due to the earthquake, and others were adjusted. Throw in the torrential downpours and it seemed that every tourist in Maui headed to the Ocean Center. Unfortunately, it was too crowded to enjoy fully, but it is a nice stop.

So, after five days here we have a shipload of exhausted passengers who will lose an hour sleep tonight.

Did I mention I hate eastbound?

It rained and rained and rained buckets all day long, and there were mud-slides and rock-slides which blocked off several roads, making it impossible for our tours to do all the sites we were supposed to do. :(

well look at it this way man.

you had an experience that many didn't.

when we were at Glacier Bay on the Volendam, the wind was blowing hard, the rain/ice was pounding on us. but when i saw the magnificence of God's design in those glaciers I didn't think about it.

The family is going back in 2 years and I think every other comparison to that hour i spent freezing my ass off as we approched will pale in signifigance.

thanks to my wife for finally getting me out of my funk and getting me to take some vacation time.

Dear Ruth,

I did not realize that people would infer that I called you the chocolate goddess, I was referring to the generic chocolate goddess who oversees the distribution of good things brown (or white, as in the swan). I guess though, it's how you'd rather be perceived, the goddess or a bi-coastal superpower. Just no hiccups, PLEASE.

Booked another transatlantic. Enjoy your remaining sea days along with the hoped-for bumps, unless you've had enough bumps....

GN

Well, that and watching Greg get seconds on Dole Whip :D

Pictures, please. ;)

Mary - I wasn't able to log-on to the boards yesterday & was SO frustrated! (Service Unavailable?!) I had no idea how you & your family had come thru the quake & was worried about you. The first post I read tonight was your description of what happened Sunday morning & was so relieved. Good to know that everyone came thru safely. Hope you're feeling better. :)

Brian - Thanks for the pix. They really help illustrate the story.

Copper - Thanks for the maps. John got a good laugh out of the name change. :)

Now that your on your sea days leg of returning home, I wanted to tell you how wonderful it was to read of your journey and cruise. So sorry a few kinds were thrown in it but sounds like you all made the most of it anyway :)

I have especially loved the pictures as I have never been to Hawaii and dream of going there myself one day!

Enjoy your sea days on your return!

I want to wish all you Spammers a wonderful trip home ... enjoy the last several days to the hilt!

I'm headed to my Mom's for several days so I won't be here to welcome you home.

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing trip with us ... it's the closest we could get without being there:D .

It was nice. We arrived around 6 pm and the lava flows into the water were lovely. The steam bellowed rather high, actually. All-in-all it was a lovely sight. You can see pictures of it from 2002 on my website under my Hawaii Cruise on the Statendam. See the link below.

It's PICTURE time!!!!!!

SeaGypsy1 and her hubby sharing a WangWang for the 50th Wedding Anniversary

seagypsy1wangwang.jpg

Cocktail photos (Rustaroo, SirScott, and Longtime Cruiser):

cocktail1.jpg

Here are RevNeal and Sartorial Wit (Christopher)

cocktail2.jpg

Here we are, a video of us dancing at the bar! It's in mp4 format, so click on it to download it, then open it and play it. :)

http://www.revneal.org/zaandam2006/dancingattable.MP4

Great photos, Greg!

Your mp4 file just opens a nasty text screen...and downloads with a .txt ending...for me, anyway(!). If it's on your website, I'll try going to it from there! (Edit: nope, not there yet!)

Keep 'em coming! (and thanks!)

Paul

Archived