*Report from the Voyage of the Spammed*

RevNeal

My girlfriend is visiting her sons in Chicago. She called me this morning and said it was snowing. She was not a happy camper. :)

Sounds like everyone is having the best "Spammer" time. That's GREAT!!!

Greetings from Hilo!

Just got in from a lovely little shore excursion and discovered the Island based WiFi can be picked up in my cabin. SO ... here I am, sitting on the Verandah, laptop in my lap, reading CC and posting. :)

Now that I'm through the 294 e-mails that piled up since yesterday, here's a "catch-up" post to last night's festivities.

Our Cocktail Party was in the Explorer's Lounge at 5:30 pm. It was VERY well attended ... I think everyone was there and we all had a wonderful time. The ship gave us a GREAT selection of hot hors devours, but the greatest of all were the Spam hors devours!!!! Yes ... I said "Spam!" And I've got pictures to prove it!!!! :D

After the cocktail party 17 of us descended upon the Pinnacle Grill for a wonderful evening dinner. Supposedly we were the largest group the Pinnacle has hosted in its history aboard the Zaandam ... so, chalk up another first for us!!! :D It was a great meal, and I believe everyone had a good time. A few steaks might have been overcooked, and the same for some of the aquatic food, but everything tasted great. I know Ruth and I enjoyed the Chocolate Volcano!!!!

Later last night Christopher, Scotty, and myself made our way up to the Crows nest to enjoy an evening of music, after dinner drinks, and dancing ... however, the place was rather much "deadsville." :( It seems like most of the ship must have turned in around 11:30 pm, so it wasn't much later that we did too. And, a good thing ... for the Zaandam pulled into Hilo beginning at about 6:30 am, coming to a stop pier side at 7:30. I was up and out on the Verandah for most of it ... what a lovely approach!

Christopher and I were among the first off the ship this morning to join a tour of Rainbow Falls, the Lyman Mission House and Museum, and the obligatory "Macadamia Nut Factory" tour. It was a nice, quite, simple little tour beginning at 8:15 am and ending at 1 pm. We re-boarded the Zaandam and headed straight to the Lido to eat. The ship is deserted right now, as most people are still ashore, but that's ok ... it means the decks are nice and quiet. :)

Take care, everyone! Things are going VERY well here on the Zaandam, and I DO wish you all could be here!

So glad your now having a Hilo of a good time there!

WiFi is os nice and especially at that price. Who is the firm there which does it?

SPAM on the SPAMDam Yummm a perfect fit.. yes thats it.

WOW your the Pinnacle at the Pinnacle history setting events now there !

Are the Macademia trees wonderful in the green Deep color and they do take Twenty years to produce... again you saw History in the waking hours making.

Ah ha so your not above approach *S*:cool:

Thank you for your wonderful skill it is always a thrill.

(The ship isn't quite deserted. Greg. I'm in the Exploration's Cafe typing. :D )

I was going to post about our cocktail party and dinner, but I see that Greg beat me to it. :eek:

This seems so strange having many Spamdammers all reporting at once! Can this be another first?

First Cruise Critic/HAL group cruise to sail, largest-ever group in the Pinnacle---what will we come up with next!

Today was back to real life---at least as far as getting up in the morning goes. The alarm went off way too early at 6:30 in order to be able to join my tour in Hilo.

I went off in a small van that took me (back) to Rainbow Falls then out to, over, and through the lava fields. We were so very lucky to have a bright, sunny day as I understand it has been raining for quite a while. We were able to see the top of the volcano with all the plumes spewing forth. We also saw the steam/sulfur/gasses arising where it ended in the sea.

All in all a good tour.

Tomorrow we get to meet Aloha Pride! :) I can't wait.

Did I mention there were no chocolates on my pillow again last night?

Ruth, my dear ... post your version of last night! :)

Don't let me reporting it keep you from reporting it!!!! :)

You know ... there wasn't a chocolate on MY pillow either!

Maybe they're OUT of chocolates!!!???:eek:

AHHHHHHHH!

Abandon ship!

:eek:

Greg and Ruth, Please say Hi to Tija and Pat from Tom and Lisa. Tell Tija I miss her:)

So glad you are enjoy Hilo and the Big Island. All the things you did today Greg I could picture because I have done them too.

Thanks for reporting in, we are truly enjoying this.

P.S. You might want to warn the H/M that we will be on board Nov. 16th. I am just hoping they can get plenty of my champagne;)

Great pix Greg - thanks for sharing. Now, just put some names to those faces. Please?

Loved that photo of the volcano on approach to Hilo. :)

Does the crew know they are playing with fire by not giving Ruth her pillow chocolates? Does her steward have some kind of death wish? :eek:

Great pix Greg - thanks for sharing. Now, just put some names to those faces. Please?

Susan, I suppose I could do that ... but some people seem to be VERY touchy about their names and faces floating around on the internet. :)

No pillow chocolates? AGAIN?? Something is wrong. Terribly, terribly wrong. :)

Thanks for the memories, Greg and Ruth. Isn't it amazing how the topography changes within just a few miles? What a lovely place. Like Lisa, Kona is my favorite on the Big Island. You'll have that to look forward to before long. If you want to eat on shore, may I suggest Bubba Gump's? It's fun, and the food is marvelous.

Greg,

I've enjoyed reading your postings on the spamdammers cruise! What fun you're all having!

And, I must say, I've been enthralled by all the HAL photos of your cruises on your website...and your website and your website as well!

Keep up the good work!

Innlady

• Administrators

It is wonderful to hear that you are having a great time together on the Voyage of the Spammed! I was thinking about you all, particularly when someone on our FOS ROLL CALL mentioned it was snowing in Chicago and may snow in Ohio -- look at you all, basking in that Hawaiian sunshine!

Thanks, Greg, for taking everyone along with you on this voyage -- we are enjoying every minute of it!

Laura

Archived