Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

Melting Chocolate cake...now available on Holiday, and prob all CCl..as alternative desserts, on rt side of menue..just had another visit with pal Chef Georg, menus have been re-vised and added to...Georg is pleased, as well as alll the pax on board. took too much time for larger ships for all the little dots, plops, foams, and garnishes, and held up the galley teams for plating times for orders. We salute alllllll the CCL chefs for their dilegence to please us. Here Here!

Yes, it's fairly new on the menu. We just got off the Legend yesterday:(, and our waitress said it was so popular, that they decided to offer it every day. I had it every night. The taste is identical to the flourless chocolate cake, and usually the consistency was the same, but some nights it was much more runny. I didn't care...I still wanted to lick the little ramekins out...:D

Well we too fell in love with the chocolate melting cake on our recent cruise. We were shopping at BJ's (like a Sam's club or Costco) and long behold there was a Kit called ...... Chef james Molten Chocolate Lava Cake Kit. the kid INCLUDES 4 porcelain 6oz ramekins, 2 puches of chocolate cake mix and 2 pouches of chocolate lava bits, the picture on the box looks exactly like the dessert on carnival!!! and here is the real kicker.........the whol kie which servers 8 was only $4.00. As you can imagine, I bought a few kits LOL!!! The box says it is Chef James a Division of Xcell International Corp. Westmont, IL 60559 (if some of you don't have a BJ's near you. Good LUCK!! I am going to make it soon.........looks pretty easy per the directions!

• 3 weeks later...
I am still dreaming of warm chocolate melting cake...they also make a Gluten Free recipie for anyone who has Celiac disease. My hubby is not much of a dessert person but our waiter brought him a GF one on the second night & he LOVED it...had one each night.

Would love to find the gluten free version so I can make it for him on Valentines Day

Well, it's a little late for Valentines, but there is a website called glutenfreeda.com that has a ton of gf recipes. You may have already heard about it, but they have a wonderful recipe for a flourless chocolate cake that sounds a lot like what everyone on this post is talking about. I'm so glad that they will make a gf version. I can't believe how much more accommodating Carnival has gotten since my first gluten free cruise last May. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

I am sooooo sadistic! Went with friends on the last cruise and they fell in love with the cake as well - OK I admit it, I loved it too! So as a way of tormenting her for not going on the next cruise I am compiling all the posts about warm chocolate melting cake to make her crazy!

I mentioned this on another WCMC thread that didn't last as long. This is the same thing as The Chocolate Stuff as described in the Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love and also Big-A$$ Cookbook and Financial Planner. March yourself out and buy one of those books, and voila! you have your recipe!

This stuff rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

This also happened to be our favorite desert. My wife purchased the carnival cookbook but this one was not in there. The maitre d copied a page from their recipies for my wife.

1000 servings

Semi sweet chocolate 70#

Butter 70#

Eggs 700

Sugar 18#

Flour 25#

Method:

Melt chocolate and butter

mix half egg and sugar and whisk for few minutes and add flour. then add the balance egg

add egg mixture in the remekin cups

bake directly in the oven at 200 deg C for 15 to 20 minutes

Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz remekin cups

Garnish

Sweet chocolate

chocolate run out

powder sugar

I am not sure how many cups of sugar or flour are in say .45 pounds of something, but if someone can figure that out and reduce the recipe we would be grateful.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the official recipe scaled for 10 servings

Remember, weight is a more accurate measure than volume (especially with dry ingredients). Just use a kitchen scale and weigh everything instead of measure. It makes things more consistent. :)

.7 lbs Semi-sweet chocolate

.7 lbs Butter

7 Eggs

.18 lbs Sugar

.25 lbs Flour

Method:

Mix half the eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes and add flour, then add balance of eggs

Put mixture into ramekins (about 2/3 full)

Bake at 390-395 degrees for 15-20 minutes

Serve with Vanilla ice cream.

I have not made this yet but it may take some fine tweaking on baking time and how full to fill the ramekins. All good things are worth the effort and this dessert is no exception. :D

Here is the official recipe scaled for 10 servings

Remember, weight is a more accurate measure than volume (especially with dry ingredients). Just use a kitchen scale and weigh everything instead of measure. It makes things more consistent. :)

.7 lbs Semi-sweet chocolate

.7 lbs Butter

7 Eggs

.18 lbs Sugar

.25 lbs Flour

For those of us who use metric measures that would be

318 gm semi-sweet chocolate

318 gm butter (unsalted?)

7 eggs

82 gm sugar

114 gm flour (all purpose?)

Method:

Mix half the eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes and add flour, then add balance of eggs

Put mixture into ramekins (about 2/3 full)

Bake at 390-395 degrees for 15-20 minutes

Serve with Vanilla ice cream.

I have not made this yet but it may take some fine tweaking on baking time and how full to fill the ramekins. All good things are worth the effort and this dessert is no exception. :D

If you haven't made it yet, what is the source of your measures?

I was on 2 Carnival cruises this winter and enjoyed this dessert every time I dined in the dining room....it's great. I have found a very similar tasting product since returning home. It's made by Better Crocker and is very easy. It makes just a 1 serving dish but tastes and looks amazingly like the Carnival dessert. It's about $1.50 to buy. Try it - every time I eat one, I'm reminded of my cruises.

Gail

I tried this chocolate melting cake on our cruise this past week. Oh it is so good. At first I did not know what to expect. I was thinking it was just a piece of chocolate cake. Little did I know. When they brought it out I saw the ice cream with it. After the first bite and then alittle ice cream with that bite, I knew it was the best. I was looking forward to trying that at our first dinner however we did not make it to the dining room the first night.

I have tried this recipe a few times since returning from the conquest and falling in love with this dessert. I had to much around a little with the timings etc, but have got it down apt now.

250 gm chocolate

250 gm butter

5 eggs

90 gm sugar

115 gm flour

Mix eggs and flour and add sugar

Melt butter and choc together

Add egg mixture to melted butter/choc mixture

Grease ramakins and add mixture

Cook in 200 celcius oven for 10 minutes

Eat and let your memory take you back to your last cruise :)

I was on 2 Carnival cruises this winter and enjoyed this dessert every time I dined in the dining room....it's great. I have found a very similar tasting product since returning home. It's made by Better Crocker and is very easy. It makes just a 1 serving dish but tastes and looks amazingly like the Carnival dessert. It's about $1.50 to buy. Try it - every time I eat one, I'm reminded of my cruises.

Gail

What is this Betty Crocker dessert called? I must go out an buy it! Is it frozen or dry? Do you have to make it or just reheat it? Wow am I obsessed! :eek: