HAL can't do teatime

laidbackin LA

Having grown up as a Dutchman for the first eighteen years of my life, I can tell you that only the Brits know how to do a "proper tea party". So, LaidbackinLA, you should probably seek out Cunard where you can enjoy them typically British tea soirees. I'm not sure how much the Greeks (Celebrity) know about making tea - I do know they are very good at throwing parties where they are happily tossing all kinds of glassware against a wall:eek:, dancing the Syrtos, having a (or more than one) glass of ouzo, and everybody is having a good ole' time! Hoppa!

BTW, didn't know that you can get a buzz from a Bloody Mary!;)

Phew!

Only two posts and all this negativeness................hum.............

Myself, I've always wondered just HOW they can fit a tea into such a busy schedule................seems one meal just wraps up and they are preparing for another.

If you want good tea on HAL all you have to do is go to the Lido. They have the wooden boxes full of all kinds of EXCELLENT tea; you choose, you make, you enjoy.

I thought all cruises were like that...............wrong! We cruised on Princess and when I asked just where to get an herbal teabag I had to wait for them to summon the head of the buffet who came with a key, unlocked a cupboard and grabbed me ONE herbal teabag.........no choice of flavors.

Now, if I'm not on HAL I take a zip-lock bag of herbal teas and take my own up for the experience............using the hot water provided by the ship.:)

I learned the "hard" way that not all lines operate like HAL; we love HAL.

Phew!

Only two posts and all this negativeness................hum..............

Yes, two posts both in this thread. And the username "laidback"?

How many people who truly enjoy an elegant tea are also looking to get a buzz from bloody marys? And how many truly helpful folks at this board come onto one cruise line's board to brag about another line, then bait the hook by asking if they should try the main competition? :rolleyes:

Celebrity does a nice formal tea, with pastries, finger sandwiches, white gloved waiters, musicians. I think that it's about an hour.

That happens once during a 7-day. Otherwise, it's just laid out at the buffet, I believe.

Maybe it's just me, though, but on my scale of things to influence my choice of a cruise or cruise line, the existence of a daily tea wouldn't be anywhere near the top. I certainly wouldn't abandon HAL because of lukewarm, indifferent tea.

As to the receptions, if you don't like the Bloody Marys or what they're serving, ask for something else. Typically you'll get what you request.

On the Zenith some years ago, there was a late morning reception at which Bloody Marys were served. My associate and I went, but our wives were ensconced in deck chairs and wanted nothing to do with it. Owing to rough seas, the event was poorly attended and the bar waiter put the entire tray of drinks on our table. The seas became considerably calmer after that.

I have never enjoyed the scheduled tea time on HAL, and I could never figure out why! Now I think I know. HOWEVER, what I do enjoy is ordering hot tea at the end of a meal in the dining room. The waiter brings the tea box with many flavors to choose from......and I think it is a wonderful ending to a wonderful meal.

Hi Laid Back:

My parents cruised on Celebrity's Mercury a year ago. My mother's description of the "high tea" experience on Mercury sounds similar to what you endured on Holland America. My mother, who is Dutch, and quite the stickler for a "proper" tea, did not enjoy the Celebrity teatime. She said it was very rushed, almost like an afterthought. We cruised with HAL this summer, and had intended to check out their tea ritual, but just plain ran out of time.

I agree with Hammybee. I would stick with the Cunard tea service. If anyone knows proper tea, it should be Cunard. I understand that Princess, which used to be owned by Cunard before Carnival stepped in, also provides a nice tea service.

Karin

ps If you're lucky enough to be in a full suite on HAL, you can have "high tea" brought to you there, and enjoy it on the balcony.

Yes, Karin, it's true....Afternoon Tea on the Princess is lovely. It's not rushed, , not crowded, and lots of yummy finger sandwiches and desserts, and tea.

Innlady

Someone mentioned earlier the three tiered serving plates. We had a high tea delivered to our cabin ( as part of a package ) WELL, let me tell you, it was higher than a kite. They brought the entire box of teas, they brought the three tiered plate full of finger sandwiches, another one full of sweetened breads ( you won't catch me using the term sweetbreads again after the last time ;) ) and scones; yet a third full of little cakes, chocolates, and a large chocolate layer cake all by itself.

After we ate and drank our fill and then some, we knocked on the doors of our neighbors and handed out goodies to those that wanted. It was great fun and we met some great people next to us. Did I mention that we both gained a little bit more weight than usual that trip? :confused:

Afternoon Tea is a charming, civilized way to spend time with friends just chatting and gossiping; High Tea is more like a light supper which is eaten with family rather than friends.

Valerie:)

My. I never realized there was actually a charming and civilized way to indulge in the vice of gossip.

I have appreciated the comments on cruise teas here. Yes, I had tongue-in-cheek when I started my comments.

The poster who mentions making your own afternoon tea in the Lido describes what I have oft done. But there is no elegance to grabbing your own teabag, opening sweetener packets, pumping milk from the pump-jug, and having to go to the Terrace Grill for french fries. The garlic bread is a good teatime option, as are potato chips from the Sandwich bar. I need this meal as we are late seating diners. But this is not comparable to afternoon tea in a charming venue with a feeling of relaxation and sociability.

As to the Royal Dutch Tea, a poster mentioned that it was a wonderful source of food items. Still, you are required to dip-and-dunk, and in under 30 minutes. HAL sets out a mountain of food at this gala, but there is not enough time for people to eat it before they whip it all away. Very strange, and cost-effective, I imagine.

My. I never realized there was actually a charming and civilized way to indulge in the vice of gossip.

My, my! According to WordNet:

"Meaning #1: light informal conversation for social occasions Synonyms: chitchat, small talk, gab, gabfest, tittle-tattle, chin-wag, chin-wagging, causerie"

Don't see anything there which would qualify as a vice....

Valerie, thanks for the clarification between high and afternoon tea.:) I will definitely check out the Royal Dutch Afternoon Tea on our next HAL cruise. I'm learning a lot here! Mike Brill, thanks for the Oceania recommendation. Maybe a good line for us to check out when the young 'uns are grown.

Here's a great recipe for scones, if anyone's interested. I adapted and modified it from the book How To Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson:

3 1/3 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda, 4 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 cup sugar, 6 T butter, 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 large egg (beaten), round cookie cutter (I use the bottom of a glass), 1 lightly greased baking sheet.

Preheat oven to 425. Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar into large bowl. Rub in the butter, until consistency resembles coarse sand. Add milk, and mix briefly. Knead on a floured surface. Roll out to about 1 inch thickness. Dip cutter in flour, and cut out scones from dough. Place on baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake about 10 minutes. Eat hot and fresh! You can add dried fruit or grated cheese for variation. Makes about 10-12 scones.

Enjoy!:)

Karin

Have you made these scones? I make them in my scone pan using scone

mixes of various flavors, but they are the shortbread type. In Brown's Hotel

and various other venues in London, scones are round and more biscuity (if

that's a word). There is a definite difference. I look up scone recipes all the

time, and they all appear to be the kind I already make.

Have you made these scones? I make them in my scone pan using scone

mixes of various flavors, but they are the shortbread type. In Brown's Hotel

and various other venues in London, scones are round and more biscuity (if

that's a word). There is a definite difference. I look up scone recipes all the

time, and they all appear to be the kind I already make.

Hello Jagsfan, yes, I have made these scones many times. My family loves them. The cream of tartar gives them a kind of "mottled" or "wrinkled" look, but it also makes them very light. Nigella Lawson, in her original recipe, omits the sugar and uses vegetable shortening as well as butter, but I have found that my family prefers my variation. As the weather gets colder here, I'll probably finding myself making them again for my youngest daughter's afternoon snack when she gets home from school. And then, of course, I'll have to eat a couple myself to keep her company.;)

Karin

Those scones sound wonderful........ But where can we get REAL clotted cream? I haven't had any since our trips to London and that's been too long between. I am willing to forego all calorie counting and all 'healthy eating' just to spread a thick layer of clotted cream on a fresh scone. :)

Sail there are some specialty stores in Boston that do have it. Also I think Vermont Dairy is also producing some locally. :)

Boy, am I out of the loop...there are two teas?!?

I always thought the High Dutch tea (with buffet style open faced sandwiches and pastry) was the only one...when (and where) is the one everyone is griping about?

Sorry to be confused!

Yep, there's a tea service in Explorer's lounge every afternoon about 4:00 - 4:30.

It may not match the London Ritz or be truly "authentic", but we certainly enjoy it.

I especially enjoy the "unauthentic" scones and clotted cream w/strawberry jam. Yum, Yum!!!!:p

There's also a decent selection of teas. Okay, okay, I know it doesn't include the Indonesian High Mountain Ultra Deluxe Special, but we find it more than adequate.

My, my! According to WordNet:

"Meaning #1: light informal conversation for social occasions Synonyms: chitchat, small talk, gab, gabfest, tittle-tattle, chin-wag, chin-wagging, causerie"

Don't see anything there which would qualify as a vice....

I'm afraid I've never heard of WordNet. However, now I've looked it up, and in the rest of its definition that perhaps you didn't see, it says the following:

"(n) gossip, comment, scuttlebutt (a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people) "the divorce caused much gossip"

(n) gossip, gossiper, gossipmonger, rumormonger, rumourmonger, newsmonger (a person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others)"

I'm afraid I've never heard of WordNet. However, now I've looked it up, and in the rest of its definition that perhaps you didn't see, it says the following:

"(n) gossip, comment, scuttlebutt (a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people) "the divorce caused much gossip"

(n) gossip, gossiper, gossipmonger, rumormonger, rumourmonger, newsmonger (a person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others)"

I believe we're all aware of the many meanings of gossip, but typically meaning #1 would be the most frequent current use of the word. There was nothing in the original posting to indicate that anything other than chitchat, or small talk was what was intended to be conveyed. You evidently assumed the OP meant something malicious, while I suggested that certainly the benefit of the doubt was on the OP's side...

Picture it (and I bow my head in homage to Sophia of The Golden Girls):

Scenario #1: "Did you hear that Mrs. Smith's younger daughter is getting married? They met at University and I understand that Mrs. Smith thinks that he is a wonderful young man and that there may well be wedding bells in the spring, isn't that wonderful?" GOSSIP!

Scenario #2: "Hey did you hear that Mrs. Smith's younger daughter and her boyfriend are in the family way. Oh boy, I can hear those shotguns being loaded right now". MALICIOUS GOSSIP, and totally uncalled for!

See, there are two sides to every coin. Just think, you learned something today. Isn't education a wonderful thing?

Valerie:D

I believe we're all aware of the many meanings of gossip, but typically meaning #1 would be the most frequent current use of the word. There was nothing in the original posting to indicate that anything other than chitchat, or small talk was what was intended to be conveyed. You evidently assumed the OP meant something malicious, while I suggested that certainly the benefit of the doubt was on the OP's side...

Thank you,

You did indeed read my post correctly. I suppose I should have said "chitchat" or "small talk" but it never occurred to me that someone would jump to the conclusion that gossip must always be bad, or a "vice".

Valerie:)

Archived