HAL can't do teatime

laidbackin LA

I have been on five HAL cruises and two Cunard. I would like to grouse about HAL not doing afternoon tea in a proper manner.

They adhere strictly to 30 minutes. As soon as time is up, the tablecloth is whipped out from in front of you.

They pass a box of teabags so you can pick just one. They don't bother to have all the kinds in the box, and I have to ask for the regular teabag to be brought, as the regular HAL teabag is the only one for a real tea flavor. But that requires an extra trip, and then you are ten minutes into the 30 allowed.

The water is brought, and it is not nearly hot enough in those silver teapots. By the time you dip-and-dunk, the water is tepid. And there is no time for you to get a second little pot, to have the amount of tea you REALLY need.

If you ask for another pot of water, they say, " Sorry, we're busy serving other guests." WHAT?? I am the guest they should be serving. What do I care about all the other guests? I am the one trying to have tea served to ME.

On the ill-fated Oosterdam, they moved the tea party from the Explorers' Lounge to the Vista dining room. They were squeezing us at dining tables so tight that I just cannot relax.

They pass snacks, but I don't care so much about them as trying to get the proper quantity of HOT tea.

Also, in another example of cheapness, at the Mariners' Club so-called party, I got only one shrimp. They passed to me an almost-empty tray of appetizers. I did grab two bloody Marys and threw them back, but I did not get ANY BUZZ WHATSOEVER. There was no alcohol in those drinks.

I can't stand the many little signs of cheapness showing up. Is Celebrity a step up that I might consider?

I go to tea quite often on board. If you don't wish to "dunk" a pre made tea bag, they do have a marvelous black tea all made and ready in large pots. It is quite good and I have no trouble getting seconds or even thirds. This said, I do prefer to bring my own "special" tea and I just use that a lot. Sometimes it is a little difficult to get a waiters attention at tea time but once you do I haven't had a problem getting what I want.

I go to tea quite often on board. If you don't wish to "dunk" a pre made tea bag, they do have a marvelous black tea all made and ready in large pots. It is quite good and I have no trouble getting seconds or even thirds. This said, I do prefer to bring my own "special" tea and I just use that a lot. Sometimes it is a little difficult to get a waiters attention at tea time but once you do I haven't had a problem getting what I want.

I agree - I've always enjoyed tea in the Explorers Lounge...

...tho you cant be late because its over with in no time flat!!!

One of the things that I looked forward to doing on the HAL ships is tea time. While I never had a problem with tea or the finger foods, I agree that it's kind of rushed.

To me, tea time suppose to be a relaxing time to enjoy yourself. But I have to agree that at the end of the 30 minutes, the tables are being cleared and they are constantly asking are you done. I think they should allow at least one hour for tea.

I have been on five HAL cruises and two Cunard. I would like to grouse about HAL not doing afternoon tea in a proper manner.

. . .They pass snacks, but I don't care so much about them as trying to get the proper quantity of HOT tea.

A "proper manner" for what? English tea? Certainly not required, as HAL claims only to provide a Dutch tea (whatever that is). The only references I can find on the internet to a Dutch style of taking tea is this (from the Stash Tea Company website):

"Dutch inns provided the first restaurant service of tea [around 1680]. Tavern owners would furnish guests with a portable tea set complete with a heating unit. The independent Dutchman would then prepare tea for himself and his friends outside in the tavern's garden."

A proper manner for getting a whole bunch of HOT tea with teabags from the Lido, never mind the snacks? Well, why not follow the Dutch tea tradition, skip the unwelcome finery and just head up the Lido yourself, where you can make and toss back as much tea as you like until at least dinner time. The entire Lido is also relatively empty in the afternoon, thus providing plenty of sprawling room without the annoyance of other guests who may have the temerity to request a bit of service for themselves. Or you can even take your tea outside in the Dutch manner. ;)

Teatime on board the Cunard line is wonderful and a huge part of the onboard culture. Brewed, hot tea is served, and I think that afternoon tea was 45 minutes. There was a huge space for it in the Queen's Room. It was very sociable and relaxed. The scones are a dream, with real clotted cream - ah, poetry!

Should I be moving to Celebrity?

Teatime on board the Cunard line is wonderful and a huge part of the onboard culture. Brewed, hot tea is served, and I think that afternoon tea was 45 minutes. There was a huge space for it in the Queen's Room. It was very sociable and relaxed. The scones are a dream, with real clotted cream - ah, poetry!

Why not stick with Cunard?

Hi Laid Back:

My parents cruised on Celebrity's Mercury a year ago. My mother's description of the "high tea" experience on Mercury sounds similar to what you endured on Holland America. My mother, who is Dutch, and quite the stickler for a "proper" tea, did not enjoy the Celebrity teatime. She said it was very rushed, almost like an afterthought. We cruised with HAL this summer, and had intended to check out their tea ritual, but just plain ran out of time.

I agree with Hammybee. I would stick with the Cunard tea service. If anyone knows proper tea, it should be Cunard. I understand that Princess, which used to be owned by Cunard before Carnival stepped in, also provides a nice tea service.

Karin

ps If you're lucky enough to be in a full suite on HAL, you can have "high tea" brought to you there, and enjoy it on the balcony.

I'm hoping your thread is a bit tongue in cheek. Our experience with HAL's teas have been a lot better than with anyone else (except Cunard and Crystal). Celebrity's is no better. May I suggest you do as we sometimes do - go up to the Lido or whatever it is called on your ship and fix your own tea and get the goodies you want. When we have a balcony, we bring it back there and enjoy the tea in peace.

If you don't wish to "dunk" a pre made tea bag, they do have a marvelous black tea all made and ready in large pots. It is quite good and I have no trouble getting seconds or even thirds.

Thank you so much for this tip! I usually forego tea for my cruise, because of the odd (to me) practice of bringing the hermetically sealed bag to unwrap with your own hands, alongside cooling water. Now I know I can get my fix in the afternoons.

Has anyone found a way of ordering steeped tea in the dining room?

I know that I have mentioned this before and some here are tired of me repeating myself but I shall.

Neither of us drink Bloody Mary's and like to have a regular drink -- many times we are lucky if we get 1 drink -- most times we get nothing.

As for appetizers, most times, no matter where we sit, we are passed over or when they get to us they are but 2 or 3 "somethings" left.

And if the parties are held in the mornings, we no longer go to them.

I never bother with Afternoon Tea aboard ship anyway since I have early seating for dinner and Heaven knows there is only so much one person can eat in a 24-hour period. However, I have to agree that 30 minutes for what should be a relaxing experience is just ridiculous. Why not just do away with it?

The Royal Dutch Afternoon Tea is a totally different experience. It is held in the Dining Room and apparently lasts for an hour or two (I honestly don't know for sure since I have only quickly checked out one or two just to see what's going on). There appears to be tons and tons of food - tiny sandwiches and canapes and trays and trays of delicious looking pastries. I have no idea what they are pouring although coffee would be my choice instead of tea.

No blasphemy intended in my last sentence since I was born and raised in the U.K. and can "do" Afternoon Tea with the best of them. Unfortunately I just got tired of drinking tea, it being the beverage of choice of my parents;).

MOM (Karin) High Tea and Afternoon Tea are two totally different kettles of fish, so to speak. Afternoon Tea is a charming, civilized way to spend time with friends just chatting and gossiping; High Tea is more like a light supper which is eaten with family rather than friends.

At the Mariners' Party I could not care less about the appetizers since once again I have early seating for dinner, however, I do order a double scotch on the rocks (naming my favorite brand) and then totter off to dinner. If the Party is held during the day, like KK I usually just forego it.

As far as the question raised by the OP, should he/she consider Celebrity as a step up? You are kidding aren't you - Celebrity a step up, where on earth did you get that idea? Why not do what Hammybee suggests and stick with Cunard, or if that doesn't please you then do as Stevesan suggests and go for it if you think it will make you happy.

Valerie:)

I know that I have mentioned this before and some here are tired of me repeating myself but I shall.

Neither of us drink Bloody Mary's and like to have a regular drink -- many times we are lucky if we get 1 drink -- most times we get nothing.

As for appetizers, most times, no matter where we sit, we are passed over or when they get to us they are but 2 or 3 "somethings" left.

And if the parties are held in the mornings, we no longer go to them.

After cruising for so many years on many many cruises...we skip the welcome party and the tea. 'tis better to have it brought to your suite if you have one...or enjoy it in the Neptune. If you don't have a suite...get it in the Lido. I enjoy a nice quiet time for tea and I don't want to be rushed...and I don't get anything out of the welcome parties any way.

Oceania must have taken a cue from Cunard. Their one-hour tea time is fabulous, also with real clotted cream, scones, finger sandwiches, music, etc - all very relaxing in the Horizon's Lounge. They also have a wide selection of teas from which to choose. So if you're considering moving to Celebrity, you might also want to check out Oceania's 684 passenger luxurious ships.

Mike

Valerie, thanks for the clarification between high and afternoon tea.:) I will definitely check out the Royal Dutch Afternoon Tea on our next HAL cruise. I'm learning a lot here! Mike Brill, thanks for the Oceania recommendation. Maybe a good line for us to check out when the young 'uns are grown.

Here's a great recipe for scones, if anyone's interested. I adapted and modified it from the book How To Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson:

3 1/3 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda, 4 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 cup sugar, 6 T butter, 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 large egg (beaten), round cookie cutter (I use the bottom of a glass), 1 lightly greased baking sheet.

Preheat oven to 425. Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar into large bowl. Rub in the butter, until consistency resembles coarse sand. Add milk, and mix briefly. Knead on a floured surface. Roll out to about 1 inch thickness. Dip cutter in flour, and cut out scones from dough. Place on baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake about 10 minutes. Eat hot and fresh! You can add dried fruit or grated cheese for variation. Makes about 10-12 scones.

Enjoy!:)

Karin

Those scones sound wonderful........ But where can we get REAL clotted cream? I haven't had any since our trips to London and that's been too long between. I am willing to forego all calorie counting and all 'healthy eating' just to spread a thick layer of clotted cream on a fresh scone. :)

Those scones sound wonderful........ But where can we get REAL clotted cream? I haven't had any since our trips to London and that's been too long between. I am willing to forego all calorie counting and all 'healthy eating' just to spread a thick layer of clotted cream on a fresh scone. :)

Is there a Whole Foods Market located in the Boston area? That's where we get ours. It's pretty good.

Karin

YES....I have a Whole Foods about 20 minutes from me. I never saw clotted cream in the case but I'll be looking next time I am there......which will be very soon. ;)

Thank you, Karin.

Check the refrigerator case near the cheese counter -- that's where ours has it -- right next to the previously impossible to find "quark". Not sure why they don't have it near the cream or sour cream, but :confused:. At least they have it.

My DH and I enjoy afternoon tea whenever we can find it but we were not very happy with it on HAL. That is except for the Prinsendam where tea was served in the Crow's Nest. We had tea and then drinks before dinner enjoying the great view. It is much too rushed on the other ships.

I have always looked forward to afternoon tea when cruising. Unfortunately, I have always been disappointed. But I always go to tea at least once or twice each cruise. Hoping someday, "they" will get it right!:rolleyes:

Sometimes the tea is brewed, sometimes its bags and tepid water.

What I find most frustrating, is the way the food is served haphazardly.:eek:

I would like my savories (open faced sandwiches) then scones and finally some sweeties (pastries/cookies). Everytime I have attended an afternoon tea on all the cruiselines I have sailed, the food is brought in whatever order. Sometimes the waiter is trying to give me a pastry even before the tea!

Several of the hotels in Boston serve afternoon tea. The food is served on a 3 tiered plate. That way you can have savory, scone and then sweet.

All I ask is for a relaxing time with a nice cup or two of tea, some finger foods served from savory to sweet and maybe a little relaxing music.....Is that REALLY too much to ask?:o

Archived