They Overbooked Our Cruise . . . .

debshomespun

Going on the Westerdam on 10-29-06, only 5 more days, in a VF balcony guarantee. Still anxiously waiting for our cabin assignment. My TA called me last night to let me know they have oversold the cruise, and HA was offering us a 25% credit, to switch to an oceanview cabin! I said absolutely not! She agrees that we would not be happy in an oceanview, even with the credit. They have to put me somewhere, any suggestions? I am perfectly fine with any VF balcony cabin, but NOT an oceanview cabin! I wonder how many cabins are overbooked, and how many guarantees there were.

Does this happen very often on Holland America? This is our first time with this line. What do they usually end up doing?

Never ever heard about HAL overbookings so that they would want to DOWNgrade someone! Sounds terrible! :eek:

I would insist on my VF cabin or then an UPgrade if they don't have any VF's (I do understand that quite possibly all higher cabins are booked but still I would insist on my VF or higher). I'm sure that someone will be glad to take the 25% or even the 50% but that wouldn't be me... Let's hope that they are calling a lot of people and that you will get your VF cabin.

My TA called me last night to let me know they have oversold the cruise, and HA was offering us a 25% credit, to switch to an oceanview cabin! I said absolutely not!

Does this happen very often on Holland America? This is our first time with this line. What do they usually end up doing?

I have never heard of this happening!! This would mean a guarantee is not a guarantee!! I'd say just do nothing and they'll have to give you a free upgrade or renege on the guarantee! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not only are balconies oversold, and your sailing completely sold out, but the next two (November 5, 16) are sold out as well. Only suites are available on November 19, then November 26 is also sold out. It looks like a balcony or two is still available December 3.

Unlike missabby, the only way you'd pry my balcony away from me is to offer an upgrade :D to a suite. But :( that looks unlikely to happen on your sailing.

I think HAL will keep doing what they already tried with your TA - look for volunteers who will take an oceanview cabin in exchange for a credit. They may keep sweetening the deal until they get enough takers.

(Sorry - I type slow - two posts before I clicked reply....)

Don't worry. This happens. They'll just keep upping the offer until they get enough takers. Eventually the offer will get tempting enough that enough people will act and the ship will no longer be oversold.

Not only are balconies oversold, and your sailing completely sold out, but the next two (November 5, 16) are sold out as well. Only suites are available on November 19, then November 26 is also sold out. It looks like a balcony or two is still available December 3.

Okay, I mis-read the OP. I thought she meant just the VFs were oversold. I agree with the other posters --- hang on to either keep the VF or wait for a LOT sweeter deal than 25%. :D

Going on the Westerdam on 10-29-06, only 5 more days, in a VF balcony guarantee. Still anxiously waiting for our cabin assignment. My TA called me last night to let me know they have oversold the cruise, and HA was offering us a 25% credit, to switch to an oceanview cabin! I said absolutely not!

I agree with you. Even though I booked an OV guarantee this time for our Nov 5 trip, the balcony experience is so different than an OV that a 25% credit wouldn't begin to compensate for the difference. Besides, I'm guessing that the price difference between an OV and balcony must be around 20 - 25%. That's another reason that the downgrade offer wouldn't be very enticing.

Reminds me of the time that United was offering $500 to people who would downgrade from Business Class to economy on a international flight from Asia to the US. Of course, no one was interested, so they had to keep increasing the offer until right before the plane was to depart.

Looks like HAL did a good job of selling out their ships. In early Sept, I was checking the sailings from late October to early Nov and there still seemed to be a LOT of cabins available on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam.

Enjoy your trip. Hope you get a nice cabin assignment.

If you booked and paid for a VF guarantee you should at least get the VF, you could get higher. We were told our 9/17 Westerdam was sold out too, we had an SZ guarantee. Many people we met on board, including the 2 couples who were our table mates, were upgraded. The 3 couples at our table went from VA and SS and SZ to full suites. There's always hope, especially on a Vista ship. The longer you wait for your assignment the better the upgrade usually is. You're still about a month out, watch for your cabin assignment in about 2 weeks. Do you know you can check the Immigration form on HAL's website for your room status? Your documents will probably say 0-VF instead of a cabin #. When you get your assignment check the deck plans on the website for location and start planning your routing around the ship. Have fun, it's way too early to get frustrated.

GN

Don't worry. You will have at least the category that you have for guarantee.

It happens from time to time they are oversold same as on airlines. They will continue making offers until they find enough people willing to take their offers. There are always some flexible people who will accept. As time gets closer and they still need cabins, common sense says the offers have to keep getting better.

Tell them you would be willing to take a complimentary upgrade if that would help them out. :D

Let us know 'the end of the story'.

Don't worry. You'll be fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I am not worried about getting a cabin. I WILL NOT be downgraded. I will graciously take an upgrade! We are sailing w/my BIL & SIL and they booked an inside guarantee, and got upgraded from deck 4 to deck 7. They got their cabin assignment 4 days ago. Only 5 days til we sail and not sure when we will find out where they are putting us. Since we booked a VF guarantee, any balcony is fine w/us, but a suite would be really nice. We will not give up the cruise since we are sailing w/others, and will not take an OV cabin, unless it is LOTS more of a credit!

Will let you all know how things turn out when I find out!

Never ever heard about HAL overbookings so that they would want to DOWNgrade someone! Sounds terrible! :eek:

I would insist on my VF cabin or then an UPgrade if they don't have any VF's (I do understand that quite possibly all higher cabins are booked but still I would insist on my VF or higher). I'm sure that someone will be glad to take the 25% or even the 50% but that wouldn't be me... Let's hope that they are calling a lot of people and that you will get your VF cabin.

It does happen but rarely. Yes, they will offer incentives: 50% I doubt, but maybe. I think it is unusual for them to be offering this so late, usually it is a couple of weeks or more in advance. I doubt they can force you to change cabins, but they will offer the bonus to as many as it takes to accomodate everyone. There are many people out there that would give up the balcony for a savings of 25%. Keep us posted.

Nita

There is a very slight chance that they will not get enough takers at any price and they would have to cancel someone with a full refund. On the rare ocassions that cruiselines have had to do that, they usually start with people that are local to the port so that there are fewer hassles about airfare. etc. the last time I checked, HAL had no ports in Ohio, so you should be safe:D

Archived