Elation Gangway slip hurts 4 at Port Canaveral

JTJ

There has to be something missing from the story. The gangway dropped 1 foot and four people are missing their cruise because of it. Were these people like 102 ys/o? Did the thing fall farther than a foot? Deffinately something missing. I do feel sorry for them. Bet they're going to be looking for a lot of on board credit for the next cruise.

There has to be something missing from the story. The gangway dropped 1 foot and four people are missing their cruise because of it. Were these people like 102 ys/o? Did the thing fall farther than a foot? Deffinately something missing. I do feel sorry for them. Bet they're going to be looking for a lot of on board credit for the next cruise.

A sudden 1 foot drop would be damaging at any age, since most people are not holding onto railings or the like when they are on the gangplanks. They would've effectively been lifted up in the air and then slammed back down. They could've banged their heads on the ceiling (if there is one), fallen down and broken limbs, etc.

A sudden 1 foot drop would be damaging at any age, since most people are not holding onto railings or the like when they are on the gangplanks. They would've effectively been lifted up in the air and then slammed back down. They could've banged their heads on the ceiling (if there is one), fallen down and broken limbs, etc.

Like I said, we're not getting the whole story and injury report. But I did learn something new, the gangways are the ports responsibility.

Like I said, we're not getting the whole story and injury report. But I did learn something new, the gangways are the ports responsibility.

cruisinbuddy signature.

Is there anything better than cruising? I doubt it.:D

It's only funny till someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.

Well you are right we have not got the whole story But I see that you think it's hilarious when someone get's hurt. I guess I understand why you are this thread.

I'm sure that the correct people have the whole story or are in the process of getting it. The rest of us are just on a "need to know" basis. I doubt they care that others are left out of the loop.

Like I said, we're not getting the whole story and injury report. But I did learn something new, the gangways are the ports responsibility. Is there anything better than cruising? I doubt it.

It's only funny till someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.

And if it were your aunt, mother, or grandmother who broke both wrists, a hip, and cracked a pelvis in the mishap would you think it was hilarious? She was in surgery and had a plate inserted in her hip, screws in her wrists, and Carnival is paying. Does that make you happy to know more about the story?

Ms B

And if it were your aunt, mother, or grandmother who broke both wrists, a hip, and cracked a pelvis in the mishap would you think it was hilarious? She was in surgery and had a plate inserted in her hip, screws in her wrists, and Carnival is paying. Does that make you happy to know more about the story?

Ms B

Carnival is paying?? That is odd... the gangway is the responsibility of the port... Why wouldn't the port authority be footing the bill??? :confused:

Ms B

Ms B, it's not as if the poster actually posted that in this thread... it's in his/her signature... and has been for a long time, and was not put in the signature just for this event. Someone else pulled the quote out of the signature to point it out. The saying has been around for a long time, and I can't remember which comedian said it... but alot of people use quotes in their signatures that are meant just for humor... I'm quite sure the person in question isn't some horrible ogre that laughs everytime someone gets hurt.

Falling one foot is not a big deal, unless you're old or frail. That's about one stair step. I fall that far all the time.

But, it is enough to throw someone off balance, and if you are 6 feet tall, it is like falling 7 feet. Ouch!

I sure hope everyone is OK. Glad the back-up safety ropes held firm. I hope they figure out why the weld gave way.

Who wants to be there is a new "only 1 person on the gangway at a time" rule that comes from this? Might make for longer lines getting on and off.

Falling one foot suddenly onto a hard surface while probably holding carrying on lugguge + God knows in their hands=not able to catch themselves as they fall. Easy for any age to crack a knee cap (extremely painful and long healing), break an akle,wrist, skull fracture, I could go on. One foot may seem short, but combine that with sudden jolt while holding heavy things in your arms=painful injury. I imagine carnival is paying out of good will but their insurance will get it back from the port. I would say the port owed these ppl an extra vacation on top of the one the were planning. Just for the pain, the anguish of not getting to go on their cruise when they had planned etc. It certainly wasn't the ppls fault they were injured due to ports negligence. I am just grateful no one was seriously injured or holding an infant when that happened.

Ms B, it's not as if the poster actually posted that in this thread... it's in his/her signature... and has been for a long time, and was not put in the signature just for this event. Someone else pulled the quote out of the signature to point it out. The saying has been around for a long time, and I can't remember which comedian said it... but alot of people use quotes in their signatures that are meant just for humor... I'm quite sure the person in question isn't some horrible ogre that laughs everytime someone gets hurt.

I apologize for jumping CruisinBuddy, there was no excuse for it and I'm sorry.

Ms B

I apologize for jumping CruisinBuddy, there was no excuse for it and I'm sorry.

Ms B

It happens... it's Sunday which means tomorrow is Monday, always makes me a little crankier!!!!! :D

Now... did you know one of the injured people?? I really hope the woman is going to be okay... very sad :(

There has to be something missing from the story. The gangway dropped 1 foot and four people are missing their cruise because of it. Were these people like 102 ys/o?

Probably. I was on that cruise and I think every travel agency in FL. had a group on there. There were so many wheelchairs that it looked like a nursing home.

What this incident will do though (hopefully) is make us all a little more aware of our "surroundings" as we board.

I know I had no idea this could even happen, much less be prepared for it.

We are usually in a blissful glee rush to get on the ship that we don't think about "what is carrying us". We will pay more attention from now on!

Archived