BAM! The upgrade fairy is alive and well !!

Craigster-diver

Actually, the upgrade fairy may well be out of her mind !!! :D

We (DW, DD, DS and I) had booked a balcony (verandah deck) and an inside cabin on the Westerdam (Dec 17 sailing) 7-day Western Caribbean cruise. We got a smokin' good deal when we booked it...balcony was $758 CDN per person and the inside was $379 CDN per person. These prices were 50% less than the exact same cruise, one week earlier, or one week later. We were thrilled and really excited about our upcoming vacation. :) :)

Our cruise travel agent got a fax from HAL on Friday night....looking for people to move off the Westerdam and onto another sailing -- they'd overbooked. :eek:

We were offered :

* 25% refund of paid cruise fare

* move to the Amsterdam on Dec 19 for a 14-day Panama Canal cruise

* upgrade to a Dlx Verandah Suite (cat SB) -- with all the "suite perks"

* $400 OBC ($100 pp) to compensate for any additional charges the airlines charged to change tickets

* guaranteed early dining

Of course we've jumped at the offer !!

Then we found that there was still a cabana on HMC (Eggshell) available...booked it. :D

So after a frantic morning of re-arranging flights, hotels (both booked through expedia), and cruises ---- all with our travel agent on holidays, but assisting via cell phone. It's finally a done deal !!

Always thought that I'd like to see the Caribbean and eventually the Panama Canal, but didn't think it'd be this soon !!

Have to go and un-register for the western caribbean roll-call and get myself onto the panama canal one.

I think this is a good day !!

Craig

Craig:

Looks like Santa came early for you and your family......:)

Oh Joy! Oh Rapture Unforeseen!

Cloudy skies are now serene!

Not only did you get a fabulous deal, my dear, you landed yourself on the same cruise we'll be on! How lucky can you get???;)

No fear, I promise you I am way more normal in real life than I appear on this board....;) Our roll call is very small, so we've arranged (all three of us who have identified ourselves and agreed to show up!) to meet at the sailway party held near the aft outside pool. Hope to see you and your family!

Karin

Not only did you get a fabulous deal, my dear, you landed yourself on the same cruise we'll be on! How lucky can you get???;)

Our roll call is very small, so we've arranged (all three of us who have identified ourselves and agreed to show up!) to meet at the sailway party held near the aft outside pool. Hope to see you and your family!

Karin

Thanks Karin, we'll see you at the pool !!! We'll be the obnoxious Canadians (is there really such a thing..????) with ear-to-ear grins on our faces. Christine and I are late 30's early 40's, kids are 'tweens (9 and 11).

Do you (or anyone else) know the mix of kids on the ship ?? DD and DS are hoping that there'll be some kids aboard.

This is going to be one fantastic trip !!

We fly out of Seattle on the 16th.....spend 3 days in FLL hotels, then cruise. Post Cruise we're in FLL until the 4th then back to Seattle on the 5th. Maybe drive up to NASA, or Disney-World ??

Ciao for now....

Craig

Hey, Craig!

With the addition of your two kids, there are now a grand total of 76 children/teens on the Amsterdam for our cruise. The largest group is the tween group, there are about 33 kids in that group. Our daughter is 8, and my husband and I are in our late forties. Your pre and post cruise itinerary sounds fantastic!

Karin

ps We like Canadians:) . Growing up, I lived four years in Vancouver, B.C.

To Linda/Vern and Waiting To Retire:

If you want to find out how many children/teens are on your cruise, you need to call Holland America Ship's Services at 1-800-541-1576, and ask them to please give you the numbers. I have called ship's services each time prior to a HAL cruise to ask for this info, and each time the representatives have been most helpful and accommodating. (I have given the service reps my booking number each time, so they know I'm a bona fide passenger.)

Karin

Archived