RCCL is telling everyone not to show up at the pier until 2pm??

I’m scheduled to go on the Explorer of the Seas on 1/28/07 with some friends. One of my friends received his ship boarding docs and inside was a pink paper stating not to show up at the pier until 2pm because the disembarking and cleaning of the vessel will take longer than anticipated.

I like getting to the pier around 11am and usually on the ship by 12-1pm. Has anyone been thru this or heard about this?

I think they are doing this to discourage most people from getting there too early. If you are warned not to get there early, and then there is a delay (for customs, cleaning, etc) you are less likely to get upset and be unprepared than if you there is a delay and they didn't tell you not to get there before 2pm.

The sooner you get to the pier, the earlier you will board. However, earlier on board may mean waiting in line for a large part of the morning. It all depends on your airline flight, hotel the night before, how anxious you are to board.

They advertise the 2 p.m. time to spread out the boarding process, not wanting everyone to show up at 11 a.m. If you stay the night before, sleep in a little, have breakfast in your hotel, and leisurely make your way to the pier, and do a little shopping in Miami, as we did, you can still get on board in plenty of time. We did this for the Brilliance in January last year, and had a very easy boarding process.

I just called them today to ask a question and I also ask how early I can arrive and check in. They told me that they will be there by 11:00 but I may not be able to start checking in until 12:00 noon!

Happy sailing

Every set of boarding documents we've ever gotten has indicated 2:00.... We've only had one cruise were we haven't been able to board by 11:30 or 12:00. It was on Navigator in 2005 and it was about 1:45 before they started boarding. We heard later that there was an issue with customs clearing the ship because of drugs found on somone getting off.

I think because RCCL can't control some of those types of things, they always say 2:00. You can get there earlier, but you take your chances. Go earlier than 2:00 only if you are ready, willing and able to wait in the slight event that you may have to...

We are always ready, willing and able... ;) :D ;)

We sailed on the Voyager on December 16th and had received the orange notice telling us that boarding would begin at 2:00. We were at the port by 11:30 and were eating lunch in the Windjammer by 12:30.

I always tell my clients to get to the port by 11:00 if they can. I have been on 14 RCI cruises, and numerous other lines, and always get on early. I think it might be a crowd control tactic. I have been told by some clients, that they had delays boarding, but due to unforeseen problems with clearing the ship. Have a great time!

One of my friends received his ship boarding docs and inside was a pink paper stating not to show up at the pier until 2pm because the disembarking and cleaning of the vessel will take longer than anticipated.

this is the same RCI who suggests two formal nights in the dining room and no one under 13 in the specialty restaurants... rules? what rules?

Get there at 11:30 and you'll be in great shape. Chances are you won't be able to get to your cabin until 1:00 p.m., but almost everything else is accessible...

Enjoy your cruise!

LL

I’m scheduled to go on the Explorer of the Seas on 1/28/07 with some friends. One of my friends received his ship boarding docs and inside was a pink paper stating not to show up at the pier until 2pm because the disembarking and cleaning of the vessel will take longer than anticipated.

I like getting to the pier around 11am and usually on the ship by 12-1pm. Has anyone been thru this or heard about this?

Yes, but chances are if you get there around 11AM you will be on no later than noon.

EVERY 5pm departure has told us not to get there before 2pm. We ignore that, and arrive at least by noon! This is your 1st day of what you've paid for! Use it! As soon as they clear the ship of departing passenger's they will allow you to start boarding. You may not be able to go to your cabin, but all public areas will be open. Go!!! Enjoy!!!

Docs for our Vision cruise said board at 1 pm. Since you can't get into your cabin until 1 anyway we arrived at 12:45 and were in our cabin by 1:15. I think some of the ships (Freedom and Explorer) and some of the ports have problems getting ready so some of you get pink slips saying wait until 2 pm.

Archived