What do you know about Celebrity Quest?

Literary Lynne

Jan: It will be open dining from the start of Journey's Bermuda sailing. There will be no main and lating seatings.

Yes, inside cabins will have butlers. All cabins have butler service and the concierge class amenities found only in CC on the other vessels in the fleet.

Well, the way I look at it, those who prefer the lower price point don't have to give up incabin amenities.. except a window.

In thinking about it you are correct..its just that if someone choses an inside cabin and does not want to tip a butler..what happens then..on Oceania a butler is an additional $3.50 per day per person..

May I ask..what state are you a rep in?

Jan

In thinking about it you are correct..its just that if someone choses an inside cabin and does not want to tip a butler..what happens then..on Oceania a butler is an additional $3.50 per day per person..

May I ask..what state are you a rep in?

Jan

At these price points I don't think we would be dealing with the "stiffers" of the cruising world.

I'm not a rep.. I'm a ta with one of Celebrity's 7 STAR agencies

Two specialty restaurants: Pairings: wine with food, three levels of wine 90 seats. Menus featuring Italian, French, South America, South African,Central American cuisine.

Steak & Seafood: 80 seats, Kobe beef and stone crab claws in season

For the 7 night Bermuda cruises, only 630 spots and 560 spots available for these specialty restaurants, meaning not everybody can be accomodated. How does that work?

For the 7 night Bermuda cruises, only 630 spots and 560 spots available for these specialty restaurants, meaning not everybody can be accomodated. How does that work?

The specialty restaurants are extra fee restaurants. The main dining room which will feature open dining seats 350.

At these price points I don't think we would be dealing with the "stiffers" of the cruising world.

I'm not a rep.. I'm a ta with one of Celebrity's 7 STAR agencies

Nice to meet you and thanks so much for the info.

unfortunately tho I have to disagree with one point, the "stiffers" of the cruising world..cruise deluxe ships also..

I know that most of the people on this board will love the ambiance of the Quest and the Journey..tho small they are quite stable and it is very easy to find your way around and embarkation and debarkation is very fast even when tendering..

Jan

If they are copying Oceania the tables turn in the restaurants 2 or 3 times (6pm 7:30pm and 9pm) so there are more than enough places for everyone..

Jan

The specialty restaurants are extra fee restaurants. The main dining room which will feature open dining seats 350.

While I love the R ships and Celebrity seems to have great itienraries planned for them, I have a big problem with having to pay a fee for the specialty restaurants on these ships. If they are to be "ultra premium - ahem, hack", in service and price (which they are!), there shouldn't be a fee.

I understand and glady pay the fee for their larger ships as I expect the food and service to be better than the main dining room which it is by far. Ditto for NCL, and I love the specialty restaurants on both lines.

So, is that the case for these ships as well? Pay a fee and get better food and service?

I also understand the "pairings" concept and would expect a fee for that, but I doubt that any large number of passengers will pay a fee to eat in that restaurant.

To pay a 30% premium in fare over the other Celebrity ships only to have to pay a fee to eat in the specialty restaurants is, to me, madness.

[quote name=

So, is that the case for these ships as well? Pay a fee and get better food and service?

I also understand the "pairings" concept and would expect a fee for that, but I doubt that any large number of passengers will pay a fee to eat in that restaurant.

To pay a 30% premium in fare over the other Celebrity ships only to have to pay a fee to eat in the specialty restaurants is, to me, madness.[/quote]

Maybe after a few sailings (or before) Celebrity will see the error of charging and change to no charge specialty restaurants

Jan

If they are copying Oceania the tables turn in the restaurants 2 or 3 times (6pm 7:30pm and 9pm) so there are more than enough places for everyone..

Jan

An hour and a half is hardly leisure eating. Consider the menu being different every night, and the size of the ship not made for lots of outlets for entertainment, dinner becomes the main event every night. What does one do after rushing through dinner?:confused:

Since you've been on Oceania so many times, can you comment on the fare differences for let's say a South American cruise ? I just wonder after the extra $$ that one pays for three or four dinners at specialty restaurants over the fourteen days, whether the price gap will be within a few hundred dollars for a balcony cabin.

An hour and a half is hardly leisure eating. Consider the menu being different every night, and the size of the ship not made for lots of outlets for entertainment, dinner becomes the main event every night. What does one do after rushing through dinner?:confused:

Since you've been on Oceania so many times, can you comment on the fare differences for let's say a South American cruise ? I just wonder after the extra $$ that one pays for three or four dinners at specialty restaurants over the fourteen days, whether the price gap will be within a few hundred dollars for a balcony cabin.

On Oceania the specialty restaurant menus never change..so its the same EVERY night and on Oceania there is no charge for Toscana or Polo.. Sometimes we go in at 8:00pm (2nd on the table) and sit until 10:30..they do not rush us ..some people like to eat faster to see the shows..

..not sure what you are asking about price..can you clarify??

Thanks,

Jan

Capacity of the ship is 710. Dining room standard place settings is 350.

The per diem food budget for these two ships is being increased from that of the rest of the fleet. This includes the main dining room and lido buffet areas.

There is a big difference between sailing with 2000 passengers and 710.

Even looking at the new Royal Princess per diems vis a vis her HUGE sisters, you will find her per diems are higher.

Not everyone wants to cruise with the masses...and now thankfully, the consumer has two new choices. However, I know that some of my customers, typically those who jump on whatever Happy Hour rate comes out, won't be booking Journey and Quest. However, I have other clients for whom these ships and pricing are a perfect match. Especially with the even higher staff to passenger ratio than the rest of the Celebrity fleet.

I was very excited about these ships until I discovered theopen seating plans. For us, having our own waiter and Maitre D that we can explain DHs food allergy to on day 1 is such a bonus. We only ever eat in our suite or at the dining room at night because of this. We have had so many scares in the open seating lunch/breakfast in the main restaurant we have given up eating there. I will be interested to hear how others get on with the open seating. We are booked for 2007, it is 2008 we are looking out for

The per diem food budget for these two ships is being increased from that of the rest of the fleet. This includes the main dining room and lido buffet areas.

Even looking at the new Royal Princess per diems vis a vis her HUGE sisters, you will find her per diems are higher.

Not everyone wants to cruise with the masses...and now thankfully, the consumer has two new choices. However, I know that some of my customers, typically those who jump on whatever Happy Hour rate comes out, won't be booking Journey and Quest. However, I have other clients for whom these ships and pricing are a perfect match. Especially with the even higher staff to passenger ratio than the rest of the Celebrity fleet.

And the per diems (fares) have increased as well. That I understand and accept.

I've cruise countless times with X (platinum founder's ultra-elite, blah blah blah), HAL, Princess, and other more upscale lines such as Crystal, Regent, and lately have been favoring Oceania. Regent is true luxury and the fares reflect that. Crystal and O are both in that same "ultra-premium" segment (despite what some may say, Crystal is not "luxury") as Journey/Quest and offer a similar product with exceptional food, service, amenities and smaller, human scale ships. Neither charge for specialty restaurants.

At these fares, being charged for a specialty restaurant is what gets my goat cheese souffle! Princess charges for their alternative dining rooms because the food is better. So does HAL. So does X. And Royal Princess, you're paying more solely for the ship size (same as Pacific Princess) but the product is not billed as superior to that of her HUGE running mates.

So, by X continuing this charge, I can only assume that the food in the alternatives will be better than the main dining room as opposed to Crystal and O, where there is no charge and while the experience is different, the quality of the food across the board is the same whether you're in an alternative, the main dining room or lido buffet.

I've cruise countless times with X (platinum founder's ultra-elite, blah blah blah), HAL, Princess, and other more upscale lines such as Crystal, Regent, and lately have been favoring Oceania. Regent is true luxury and the fares reflect that. Crystal and O are both in that same "ultra-premium" segment (despite what some may say, Crystal is not "luxury") as Journey/Quest and offer a similar product with exceptional food, service, amenities and smaller, human scale ships. Neither charge for specialty restaurants.

At these fares, being charged for a specialty restaurant is what gets my goat cheese souffle! Princess charges for their alternative dining rooms because the food is better. So does HAL. So does X. And Royal Princess, you're paying more solely for the ship size (same as Pacific Princess) but the product is not billed as superior to that of her HUGE running mates.

So, by X continuing this charge, I can only assume that the food in the alternatives will be better than the main dining room as opposed to Crystal and O, where there is no charge and while the experience is different, the quality of the food across the board is the same whether you're in an alternative, the main dining room or lido buffet.

..not sure what you are asking about price..can you clarify??

Thanks,

Jan

I got that worked out by comparing the per day rate between Celebrity Infinity and Oceania Insignia South American cruises. Roughly $60 difference per day. Since Journey is being marketed as a notch above Infinity, the fare difference then becomes minimal when one compares apple to apple.

The one noticeable difference is there will be more people going to main dining room since the specialty restaurants have extra charge, and passenger capacity being 710 instead of 684 on Oceania. I just wonder if at peak dining hours like 7-8pm whether one will have to wait long for a table.

Open seating is difficult for anyone cruising solo. Do we eat alone or suffer the embarrasment of asking "may I sit at this table " for every meal?

The there are all the extra fees! I do not complain about paying for wine, drinks, tea in the Cova etc, but "dumbing down the quality " in the main dining room in order to justify a fee for some other dining room? No dress codes? This is not the kind of cruise I would do.

We sailed an R-ship 6 years ago and loved the open seating. To be honest, we haven't sailed Celebrity before so I can't judge their dining service in comparison. However, I was not impressed with more recent service on RCCL. Thirty years ago on RCCL the waiters did indeed learn our idiosynchrasies (e.g. I like lemon in my water). However, recently there doesn't seem that attention to detail. So for us, the open seating did not represent a loss of any service. We enjoyed choosing our time to eat depending on what our day was like. If it was a relaxing day at sea we often went to dinner earlier. We also met new friends that way and then would meet them for subsequent dinners.

I am thrilled that Celebrity has 2 R-ships. We have booked the South American cruise next Jan and can hardly wait. However, I too was at first put off by the charge in the specialty restaurants. Later, though, when I compared their price to Oceania's for the same type cruise, I realized the extra cost is built into Oceania's fares.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Quest as I'm sure it applies to Journey as well.

Archived