Bright Star Alert

fsalzer

We had a "bright star" alert on Oosterdam one evening while dining and I am not familiar with the term. I first thought it could possibly be a death or a fire. Then, some time later we had the "baked Alaska" parade (with sparklers), so I thought it might be a call for the staff to assemble for the parade. I googled "bright star" and found nothing relevant. Would someone please clue me in? TIA.

Fred

Bright star on HAL is a medical emergency. Typically it includes a location on the ship for the emergency team to go. My ex and I were on the Ryndam during a "bright star" and just happened to be right where it happened. Unfortunately the gentleman had suffered a massive MI and could not be saved.

Bright star on HAL is a medical emergency. Typically it includes a location on the ship for the emergency team to go. My ex and I were on the Ryndam during a "bright star" and just happened to be right where it happened. Unfortunately the gentleman had suffered a massive MI and could not be saved.

Something new to be learned each day.........

- Long time HAL cruisers, we've frequently been seated with the Doctor on board and can't recall every having heard a 'Bright Star' call. Is this something new?

I heard this also. About 10 minutes later they came back on the PA and canceled the the Bright Star. I asked someone about this and the said they it was a mistake and the orginal Bright Star should not have been called.

Does that mean that 'Bright Star'was in fact a call for the Doctor?

Does that mean that 'Bright Star'was in fact a call for the Doctor?

Exactly. On Cunard ships they call, "STAR BRIGHT".

"NIAGRA" is the call for a plumber/engineer due to burst water pipe.

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

Stephen

Exactly. On Cunard ships they call, "STAR BRIGHT".

"NIAGRA" is the call for a plumber/engineer due to burst water pipe.

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

Stephen

We had one on the Statendam, on the Lower Prom deck, I was absolutely amazed at how quickly they all moved, it was extemely impressive.

Reference how long HAL has been using "Bright Star"......my first experience was in early 1994 so at least 12+ years and probably before that. My ex was a PhD prepared nurse with emergency room and cardiac care unit experience. I'd been trained with advanced life saving while I was a staff psychologist in a hospital and oversaw the program while in Europe in the late 80's. We assisted the first responding nurse and "corpsman" until the ship's doctor arrived and then backed out so they could do their job. Unfortunately the gentleman had been discovered in one of the forward elevators and had apparently been there some time as he did not respond their efforts. I think I've heard "Bright Star" called two or three other times over my other 6 cruises. I do remember my first HAL cruise was a bit disturbing as we had two deaths during a 10-day cruise. :(

Yes, I do recall them announcing that Bright Star alert for the First Seating Dining Room on the cruise mentioned by Fred. I figured it was either a mechanical or medical emergency. Now I know.

never heard the call --- was it on the last formal nite -(thursday)

I THINK so... not quite sure. I was on the Promenade deck having a cigarette when it was announced. About 15 min. later I heard that the alert was cancelled.

We just returned from the 11 day Noordam cruise and there was a Bright Star alert on day 2 or 3. I am told that there was a death. Since it was one of the very few announcements piped into our staterooms, I knew it must have been a dire emergency. I don't think the Baked Alaska had anything to do with it, since it was during the morning.

We just returned from the 11 day Noordam cruise and there was a Bright Star alert on day 2 or 3. I am told that there was a death. Since it was one of the very few announcements piped into our staterooms, I knew it must have been a dire emergency. I don't think the Baked Alaska had anything to do with it, since it was during the morning.

The Bright Star was an emergency and did not have anything to do with anything other than to alert specific ship personnel to respond.... thus, protecting the privacy of the passenger(s) involved. From what I heard, the staff/crew were very responsive and HAL was very sensitive to all involved.... Another "kudo" for HAL!

The Bright Star was an emergency and did not have anything to do with anything other than to alert specific ship personnel to respond....

Please clarify. The consensus seems to be that Bright Star is a particular class of medical emergency. Death, which I understand is not unusual on cruise ships, would seem to be included in that class.

Fred

Fred - I think the point is that a Bright Star is a medical emergency requiring a team to respond to the patient's location. Could be a number of injuries/circumstances that prevent the individual from getting themselves to the infirmary but require immediate response. While the Bright Star I was partially involved in was indeed a heart attack, that was unfortunately fatal, I didn't imply that Bright Star called for heart attacks.

Please clarify. The consensus seems to be that Bright Star is a particular class of medical emergency. Death, which I understand is not unusual on cruise ships, would seem to be included in that class.

Fred

Fred, think of it as an alert call (notification) to the ship's medical fast response team (doctor, nurse(s), corpsman) sorta kinda like paramedics on land (Except on the ship, they're running on foot, not in a paramedic rig). It's usually for a serious medical emergency!

Archived