Booking the Eurodam Inaugural?

ekerr19

According to information that has now come to my attention, the Eurodam's Inaugural Cruise has been changed from the previously published Baltic cruise and date to the following:

Inaugural sailing is scheduled for JULY 5, 2008

10-Day Norwegian Fjords and Scotland

0 Copenhagen, Denmark

1 Oslo, Norway

2 At sea

3 Alesund, Norway

4 Vik, Norway *Service call for shore ex.

Scenic cruising Aurlandsfjord

Flam, Norway

Scenic cruising Sognefjord

5 Stavanger, Norway

6 Newcastle upon Tyne, England

7 South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland

8 Invergordon, Scotland

9 At sea

10 Copenhagen

Frankly, this doesn't make any sense to me ... it seems ridiculous to call this the Inaugural sailing when the REAL Inaugural will be a July 2-5 cruise from Rotterdam to Copenhagen; a certain member of the Royal Family will be "doing the honors" in Rotterdam on July 2 ... a cruise most of us peons probably won't be able to take.

Hence, this 10 day cruise isn't really the inaugural. :(

According to information that has now come to my attention, the Eurodam's Inaugural Cruise has been changed from the previously published Baltic cruise and date to the following:etc. unqote.

It looks like the agenda of the royal family member has priority on HAL's agenda. (My best guest is the dedication might be done by our future Queen Maxima. )

The new itinary sounds nice too, but not sailing from Rotterdam is a disappointment. The real inaugural sailing wil most likely be by invitation only to many VIPS.

After the dedication of Oosterdam the ship sailed out for 1 night with VIPS and started the inaugural trip the day there after.

After the dedication of Oosterdam the ship sailed out for 1 night with VIPS and started the inaugural trip the day there after.
Now that sounds reasonable. Wonder why they won't be doing this with the Eurodam? It looks like the first cruise after formalities are ended is the inaugural cruise for any ship. This inaugural looks to be a short repositioning, certainly not worth the expense of getting over there even if we could get berths.

A Norwegian Fjords itinerary is one I've wanted to do for a long time. However, this one does not go inside the Arctic Circle, which is a must-do for me. And I really wanted to sail out of Rotterdam. *sigh* It doesn't look like the "inaugural" is for me.

Hmmmm - First a crappy name.

Then no SS's on Deck 8...

...then no sailing from Rotterdam...

...then no Baltics cruise...

...now no Arctic Circle.

Someone at the HAL planning desk is out of their flipping mind.

:cool:

Maybe there will be a delay at the shipyard and this itinerary will be scrapped too!

;)

We're still hoping to sail Eurodam's Inaugural. We'll have to wait and watch and see how things develop.

One of you experts, please help me with definitions.

Is the first cruise a ship sails with passengers the Maiden or is it the first time a ship takes paying passengers the Maiden?

Technically speaking, Noordam took passengers from Boston to New York (though they were not paying). Most worked for HAL, were TA, media types I think. So, that sailing could not have been called the Maiden.

If Eurodam takes private, by invitation guests for three days wouldn't the sailing from Copenhagen be her the Maiden?

If Eurodam takes private, by invitation guests for three days still not make the sailing from Copenhagen the Maiden?

I think that, like the Boston-NYC cruise for Noordam, the 4-dayer is considered a "Preview" cruise, and the Inaugural is considered the first one with 100% paying passengers.

Of course on both cruises, all pax get the Blue Delft inaugural plates:D

Frankly, this doesn't make any sense to me ... it seems ridiculous to call this the Inaugural sailing when the REAL Inaugural will be a July 2-5 cruise from Rotterdam to Copenhagen; a certain member of the Royal Family will be "doing the honors" in Rotterdam on July 2 ... a cruise most of us peons probably won't be able to take.

Hence, this 10 day cruise isn't really the inaugural. :(

They often do these short little jaunts before the real thing though, don't they Greg? I wish they would have kept it as it was, as we would have loved to cruise from Rotterdam. We've cruised from Copenhagen and were looking forward to doing something different... :(

Hmmmm - First a crappy name.

Then no SS's on Deck 8...

...then no sailing from Rotterdam...

...then no Baltics cruise...

...now no Arctic Circle.

Someone at the HAL planning desk is out of their flipping mind.

:cool:

Maybe there will be a delay at the shipyard and this itinerary will be scrapped too!

;)

Having slept on it, I'm feeling somewhat better about it.

HOWEVER ... I think HAL is dancing with disaster by pushing the Inaugural date up over 10 days. One would expect it to be pushed back to later in July, not advanced to the very beginning of the month.

I wonder if these changes are the reason why HAL has delayed communicating with those of us who have already laid down money for this cruise (whichever one it is).

We have cruised into Rotterdam and LOVED it but have never sailed out of Rotterdam. We really were looking forward to that.

We also have sailed from Copenhagen and wouldn't mind doing that again. It is one of our very favorite cities. So lovely; so walkable. Beautiful, beautiful Copenhagen. :)

So if I understand the Rev and his updated Intel correctly, Euromast, I mean dam, will be christened by Princess Maxima on July 2nd, 2008 in Rotterdam on the Wilhelminakade. She will then sail her 3-day maiden voyage up north to Copenhagen with invited guests only. Once arrived there, she is sheduled for a 10-day cruise (05-15 JUL 08) up the Norwegian coast (but not all the way up to the Arctic Circle), cut across the mighty North Sea to the isle of the Brits, make three stops there (including two in the land of the kilts) and then cut across the other way and end that cruise back in Copenhagen.

Actually sounds like a pretty nice cruise (like Jim, would have liked to have gone up to the Arctic Circle) but it's still a good itinerary. We're still game! Also sounds like the actual ceremony in Rotjeknor will be tough to get into (invited guests only)

We have cruised into Rotterdam and LOVED it but have never sailed out of Rotterdam. We really were looking forward to that.

We also have sailed from Copenhagen and wouldn't mind doing that again. It is one of our very favorite cities. So lovely; so walkable. Beautiful, beautiful Copenhagen. :)

Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen ... sounds like a song!!! :D

Well ... you'll just have to be aboard the Preview cruise, too.

Actually sounds like a pretty nice cruise (like Jim, would have liked to have gone up to the Arctic Circle) but it's still a good itinerary. We're still game! Also sounds like the actual ceremony in Rotjeknor will be tough to get into (invited guests only)

John -

We are still game too - Sonny has always wanted to go to Edinburgh, so now he'll have a chance...

So if I understand the Rev and his updated Intel correctly, Euromast, I mean dam, will be christened by Princess Maxima on July 2nd, 2008 in Rotterdam on the Wilhelminakade. She will then sail her 3-day maiden voyage up north to Copenhagen with invited guests only. Once arrived there, she is sheduled for a 10-day cruise (05-15 JUL 08) up the Norwegian coast (but not all the way up to the Arctic Circle), cut across the mighty North Sea to the isle of the Brits, make three stops there (including two in the land of the kilts) and then cut across the other way and end that cruise back in Copenhagen.

I'm not sure, John, if it's "invited guests" only. But that's kinda how it sounded to me ... they're trying to keep out those of us who are "riff-raf." While I may be "game," I'm not sure I like the idea of flying all the way over and not getting to at least see the ceremony. And, like others, I was looking forward to sailing out of Rotterdam. I'm disappointed with that. And, I don't want to go that far to just do a 10 day cruise and then fly back to the states. If I'm going that far I want to do something longer. But 20 days (b2b with another cruise, let us say) is not so much of an option because Christopher can't get away for that long. And, frankly, neither can Brian. So ... I'm stuck with a shorter cruise. Two days shorter isn't much shorter, but it's enough to be annoying.

If, however, I can get on the "Preview" cruise (and with my friends), then it becomes a no-brainer. If I could push the right buttons to get the Chaplain job, that would be even better.

I'm not sure, John, if it's "invited guests" only. But that's kinda how it sounded to me ... they're trying to keep out those of us who are "riff-raf." While I may be "game," I'm not sure I like the idea of flying all the way over and not getting to at least see the ceremony. And, like others, I was looking forward to sailing out of Rotterdam. I'm disappointed with that. And, I don't want to go that far to just do a 10 day cruise and then fly back to the states. If I'm going that far I want to do something longer. But 20 days (b2b with another cruise, let us say) is not so much of an option because Christopher can't get away for that long. And, frankly, neither can Brian. So ... I'm stuck with a shorter cruise. Two days shorter isn't much shorter, but it's enough to be annoying.

If, however, I can get on the "Preview" cruise (and with my friends), then it becomes a no-brainer. If I could push the right buttons to get the Chaplain job, that would be even better.

Got ya! There's always "ways" to get into that inaugural ceremony in Rotterdam and I'm sure there are ways to get onto that 3-day cruise. Would be nice to be able to combine that one plus the 10-day out of beautiful, beautiful Copenhagen - It definitely helps if you have the right "connects";)

I love the new itinerary. Ashamed to say that though I am of Scottish heritage and very proud of it, I've never been to Edinburgh. Won't get there on this journey either, but it sure would be tempting. Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Just a little too expensive for our blood. We're old and we're poor14 and healthy enough (fortunately or unfortunately) that our $$$ have to last us a good long time01.

We'd LOVE to see the Tattoo.

What a treat that would be.

We'll have to wait and watch and see how the final plans all develop. It's still early and they have time to change around a bit but soon, it will become harder to rearrange the plans.

It'll be fun waiting and watching. We have all hopes of sailing Eurodam's Inaugural no matter where/when.

It'll be fun waiting and watching. We have all hopes of sailing Eurodam's Inaugural no matter where/when.

Sail -

Agreed. We will be happy no matter what, when or how. It is unlikely we would secure an invite to the festivities or the preview cruise, even with the days we will have by the time the Eurodam sails (about 150 - 160 days each) - I know it will not be enough for us to be considered - and I'm certainly OK with that - we just want to be on the first voyage. :)

Archived