Noordam delayed coming in to NY..PLEASE READ!!

sgttami

It's 839 pm et, and the Noordam is still here. You can get a better look from the Intrepid cam at:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/intrepid

it shows a view of pier 86 where the Intrepid was moved from, then cycles to a close-up view, and finally to a view looking north up the West Side Highway where you can see all the cruise ship piers. Click on the little magnifying glass for en enlargement.

Has there been any word of what time her departure will be?

mamaofami, on our roll call for 2/7, called the New York Terminal, and was told it was to be 9 PM. Guess that didn't happen! So, we're all watching the webcam...and will see what time the Noordam leaves.

My sister and BIL got home around 4:15 PM (Westchester County, NY)..called me that all was well!!

They had a wonderful cruise. Loved HAL!!

The only negative was that they went to Pinnacle Grille and actually liked the dining room better!! They said there was nothing "special" and if they had to do it again, they'd skip it.

Overall, they loved the cruise...(their first HAL ..did RCL, Celebrity and NCL)

Hopefully everyone has smooth sailing on the next journey!!!

I wonder what's going on? The Noordam is usually scheduled to arrive NY at 800 am and depart at 445 pm ( it usually arrives around 700 am), so it has actually lost more time in port.

Bob,

I'm not sure, either. I know the departure time was scheduled for 4:45. She arrived in NYC about 11:30....3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours later than she was due to arrive. Given that schedule, I would think she would have departed by now. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I wonder what's going on? The Noordam is usually scheduled to arrive NY at 800 am and depart at 445 pm ( it usually arrives around 700 am), so it has actually lost more time in port.

Bob,

I'm not sure, either. I know the departure time was scheduled for 4:45. She arrived in NYC about 11:30....3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours later than she was due to arrive. Given that schedule, I would think she would have departed by now. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bob:

She had rough seas coming in to New York, and that delayed her arrival, and which delayed her departure today.

The reason is very simple.

For the International Brotherhood of Longshoreman of NY, it's GOLDEN TIME.

Having been late twice on MAASDAM in Norfolk, it takes hours to get the old passengers off and the new passengers on.

The ship may also have to wait for flights delayed by weather. There may also be the issue of tides.

But in NYC, the most likely culprit is the longshoremen are earning triple time.

Yes, the Noordam was delayed into NYC. We arrived around 11:30 am instead of 7 am. We had a very rough return from the Carribbean with gales of up to 50 mph or knots??? and some 30 foot waves.

The crew of the Noordam handle it all beautifully. We felt safe and happy even though we were rocking around.

In fact, it was quite beautiful to see all of the power of the wind and water.

The staff told us it was definitely the worst storm the Noordam had been through in its life and she held up beautifully.

Loved everything about the Noordam from start to finish.

Congratulations HAL! A standing ovation to each and every one of your hard-working crew, on each and every one of your ships, for sailing through every potential crisis with flying colours.

Hope the passengers onboard now get to leave soon, and hope the crew get home to their families ASAP.

We had a very rough return from the Carribbean with gales of up to 50 mph or knots??? and some 30 foot waves.
On my return in late October, we had almost identical conditions (waves were 27 feet) and we sailed through it quite well. Maybe your storm was a bit longer and coming from a different direction. The ship sailed well, which is a clue as to the direction of the storm.

Does anyone know how the embarking passengers made out? Did HAl provide any food for them at the pier, was there room for everyone to wait inside, did they take the baggage and check it so people were free to see NY? I know some people arrived on flights and buses that could not be delayed. Just curious.

I don't think anyone was let on the boat early.

I disembarked around 4 pm and was one of the last groups to leave. At that time, I didn't see any new people on board.....of course, she is a big boat.

Then I did meet a couple in the taxi line who were going to tour NYC and eat dinner out as they were told at check in that sailing would be at 9 pm.

I was fascinated to see how quickly the ship was ready for passengers.....that is, the public spaces and staterooms.

I suspect that the delay was all of the unloading and loading of items, trash et al from the non-public spaces and storage.

I wonder if anyone has heard from the the group that left last night. I wonder how the seas are for them.

My wife's parents are on this sailing. Despite the delay in the ship the bus schedule did not change. They departed Burlington, NJ as scheduled at 8:45am. Arriving in NY at about 11:00am. They called us and told us that they were taking a shuttle a hotel to wait for boarding to begin. They also told us that they were supposed to get a $25.00 per person ship credit to compensate for missing lunch on-board. They called us at about 10 PM Saturday night and told us the they finally were on their way. They said the embarkation process seemed somewhat hectic to them. They could not process their credit card at ship side b/c computers were stored on the ship...which had not arrived when they did...so they had to go to pursers desk to register....This is their first cruise...

Archived