Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

NCL Breakaway cabin 14738 - a beautiful haven spa suite with haven access etc - with whirlpool bath in the room etc - the bad news, there are 8 treadmills above the cabin as it directly under the gym. Get ready to be awake at 6am every morning with continuous footsteps of treadmills

Don't book 12241 on the Norwegian Epic. It is a large balcony stateroom on the hump. Indeed the balcony is huge, but the entire cabin vibrates insanely whenever the ship is sailing. It is not possible to sleep. Even the reading lights can not stay in place because the cabin is vibrating so badly. The cabin is not over an engine, so it is a bit of a mystery, but we had the ship desk come and look at it. They agreed it was not as it should be and we were moved to another cabin.

Hello.

Asking if someone following this thread has actually sailed on a specific ship and a specific cabin is asking a lot of the gods of chance! Better, consider some general guidelines and know your own sensitivities. (1) Passenger cabins best to avoid are those either directly above and/or directly below public venues, especially entertainment areas (with speakers mounted on ceilings)! Our experience being close to midship elevators on the Star Princess (last week) was we never heard them. Did hear a few enthusiastic passengers in the hall (to be expected), but this was a basically family-oriented Alaska cruise (RT Seattle) and to my surprise, the food was absolutely wonderful -- maybe the quality of the produce out of Seattle had something to do with it? (2) Cabins up at the bow will absolutely feel the greatest impact of oncoming waves, and similarly balconies near the front of the ship are most likely to suffer from excessive wind (so don't have dreams of a nights rest there while cruising the Caribbean!). If you are so sensitive to noise that the banging of the next cabin door will wake you up, have no solution. I would like to suggest ear plugs, but I'd like to hear a captain's message broadcast at 3am? Last winter (14 nights RT Ft Lauderdale: Maasdam) we drew the last balcony aft, which was across from a service area -- this meant our balcony faced starboard and aft and we really enjoyed it. Also, we had access to fresh fruit and ice! (3) Hearing about soot and aft balcony on the (new?) Royal Princess was obviously troubling. By "aft" do you mean (as cruise lines say) a cabin located in the back 1/4 of the ship, or do you mean a cabin with a balcony that faces aft (that is, you see the white water)? These have become our favorite balconies and we have the 2nd largest for a regular cabin on the Jewel of the Seas (December 14 RT San Juan PR).

DJ:)

We had a room under the stage one time and the noise was horrible. I guess they were moving the stage or the band pit or something. One night I went to bed early and it woke me....actually scared me. I didn't know what it was and asked the steward who told me.

Hi,

Has anyone stayed in the extended balcony (7281) on the Carnival Legend? Any input?

Thanks!

Erin

I love the extended. 50% more balcony. I would avoid one that is right next to a regular balcony as it does obstruct your view. 7381 is 3 away from a standard so not a bad location at all IMHO.

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I had 7192 (I think) on Miracle for my first ever balcony. Honestly, I wouldn't pay extra for the extended again. All I did was sit out there and even with my long legs, there would've been plenty of room to sit on the regular one.

And I actually would prefer an unobstructed view down into the water. No, I don't spend lots of time standing at the balcony rail, but when I do, I don't want to be looking down at the top of a lifeboat. I'd personally either just go with a French Door cabin for the fresh air or, if I thought I just HAD to have a balcony (I don't), I'd go with a regular on Empress.

Don't book 12241 on the Norwegian Epic. It is a large balcony stateroom on the hump. Indeed the balcony is huge, but the entire cabin vibrates insanely whenever the ship is sailing. It is not possible to sleep. Even the reading lights can not stay in place because the cabin is vibrating so badly. The cabin is not over an engine, so it is a bit of a mystery, but we had the ship desk come and look at it. They agreed it was not as it should be and we were moved to another cabin.

I have this cabin booked for June of next year (2014) and am now concerned about the vibration you mentioned. I have not seen any other mention of this problem. Was there any indication of what may have caused the problem. I have plenty of time to change but have friends staying nearby ..... as well as the big balcony was a nice amenity also.

Thought???

I have this cabin booked for June of next year (2014) and am now concerned about the vibration you mentioned. I have not seen any other mention of this problem. Was there any indication of what may have caused the problem. I have plenty of time to change but have friends staying nearby ..... as well as the big balcony was a nice amenity also.

Thought???

No one even speculated as to what may have caused this. They just acknowledged the problem and gave us another room which turned out to be an upgrade. The cabin was on the hump and we surmised that it may not have been bolted in firmly enough which means that someone may have fixed it, but there is no way of knowing that. If it were me I would change to a different cabin.

Does anyone have info on Cabin 2298 on Freedom of the Seas?

I notice its across from the Ice rink, and a blank space is across from it on the deck plans, looks like On Air club is above it on the next deck with Studio B, close by also on deck 3.

This room :( looks good on paper as it's larger than the other rooms of that class, but it's L shape makes it impossible to put the bed anywhere except next to the wall. I had to climb from the bottom of the bed or climb in over my husband to get into bed.

If that wasn't enough, it's right under the kitchens, and the noise was awful - they started at 5 AM and didn't finish until after midnight.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not book balcony 7347 on the Breeze! It looks great on paper! Mid-ship, tucked inbetween floors with staterooms above and below. I thought I had done my research...

Imagine my surprise when I found out we are right across the laundry room! Very loud! It is supposed to close at midnight but I constantly saw people doing their laundry at all hours of the day (who does laundry at 2am on vacation?) The machines are very loud, but the people gathering in the hallway chatting are louder. Several times I had to complain to guest services to lock the door at midnight so we could get some sleep.

Oh and don't book anything next to it either. The inside cabin across from us was flooded on the 3rd day of sailing. The poor guys who stayed there came back from dinner to find all their items drenched in water. A water pipe had burst in the laundry room and flooded the entire room :( They were moved to another cabin - I hope it was an upgrade!

Booked in 4010 on Grandeur OTS, right under the theater. Any idea how bad this is going to be? Anyone stayed in a cabin under a theater on any ship?

Thanks.

I have no direct knowledge of this cabin, but took a peek at deck plans for this ship. It isn't directly over the stage from what I can see, but might be close enough to be pretty loud. Do you tend to retire before midnight? If yes, it might not be a bad idea to move further back. But not too far. I'd rather be beneath the theater than beneath the galley. At least the stage noise will knock off eventually; galley noise may never quit.

I have no direct knowledge of this cabin, but took a peek at deck plans for this ship. It isn't directly over the stage from what I can see, but might be close enough to be pretty loud. Do you tend to retire before midnight? If yes, it might not be a bad idea to move further back. But not too far. I'd rather be beneath the theater than beneath the galley. At least the stage noise will knock off eventually; galley noise may never quit.

Really good point about the galley. I did not even think about that. Thanks so much.

Had cabin over theater once. Wasn't bad, just remember hearing music while getting ready for dinner. Usually by 11pm the theater is empty. Actually depends where the speakers are located.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Good point about the speaker location.

Thanks. Good point about the speaker location.

We had selected an aft balcony cabin on the NEW Magic and knew that below it was an entertainment venue. Never thought that if the speakers were attached to the ceiling that insulation would not compensate? Surprise! All night long the floor vibrated and the music and especially the base filled the cabin. You can't tell speaker placement from a ship's deck plan? Just avoid these cabins!

We had selected an aft balcony cabin on the NEW Magic and knew that below it was an entertainment venue. Never thought that if the speakers were attached to the ceiling that insulation would not compensate? Surprise! All night long the floor vibrated and the music and especially the base filled the cabin. You can't tell speaker placement from a ship's deck plan? Just avoid these cabins!

I leave tomorrow and will come back and report my experience. I would never have booked this intentionally but this was a guarantee inside so I guess it's an upgrade but not if I cannot sleep. Wish me luck.

I leave tomorrow and will come back and report my experience. I would never have booked this intentionally but this was a guarantee inside so I guess it's an upgrade but not if I cannot sleep. Wish me luck.

No matter what, I'm sure that you will make the best of what you get! I understand about a "guarantee" as we did a balcony guaranty last winter and saved $2,000 on a 2-week Caribbean cruise. Except for sleeping, I'm sure that you will find pleasant places on board and hopefully will have a good time at your ports! Early September is often a great time for a cruise in Europe or maybe Alaska while its hot and storm-prone in the Caribbean!