Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

DH booked this cabin for British Isle cruise because, from deck plan, it looked like a larger balcony. From the few photos I have been able to find of that part of the ship, it looks like the balcony has a very limited view and may not actually be any larger than regular balconies... Does anyone have any advice or personal knowledge? Photos? Thanks in advance!

DH booked this cabin for British Isle cruise because, from deck plan, it looked like a larger balcony. From the few photos I have been able to find of that part of the ship, it looks like the balcony has a very limited view and may not actually be any larger than regular balconies... Does anyone have any advice or personal knowledge? Photos? Thanks in advance!

Can't exactly get to your issue. We did a 100% successful British Isles cruise on Caribbean Princess (May 26/June 7: RT Southampton; cabin C753) before the Olympics in London (cruise after us, same ship, had horrible problems and missed Guernsey, Liverpool, and Edinburgh -- hard to tell) we had an true aft balcony and we especially enjoyed watching depart from ports (such as Belfast and seeing famous drydocks of Titanic and leaving Edinburgh). A steady issue is that a balcony adds light and reduces movement discomfort. We have found so far that we have used our balcony the most in an early June Mediterranean (Barcelona/Venice) and a winter holiday Caribbean (with last late July's Alaskan cruise a distant 3rd). Worries asside (we had no difficult seas going over the northcoast of Scotland or in the English Channel) we were quite impressed with how cool and damp this area is in June and now understand the enthusiasm these folks have for a visit to Florida (especially Northern Ireland and Scotland gave us chilly mornings requiring multiple layers) and now realize that a 70 degree F high is a warm day in Dublin! I don't know if your current cabin reflects a balcony with two open sides, so you have a clear aft view (we had one on a small/old HA ship last winter (Maasdam) but that ship has only two decks of balconies and we were the last balcony on the starboard side -- the balcony was somewhat bigger and from the added space was a view of the aft of the ship plus more) I'd suggest you visit Princess forums and research balconies/Ruby. Next June/July we are on such a balcony on the Celebrity Constellation and have seen on CC pictures of this specific balcony (#6030) because the outline of the ship narrows after our cabin and the first eight cabins, including 6030 have a double-size balcony and the last one has both a view out from the ship and from its right side (also a railing) a view all the way down the starboard side of the ship which I hope will be fun on our Norway Fjords experience (know it'll be cold!) late June/early July.

We had a grand time on our British Isles cruise and lucked into a proper and active roll call so I was able over the winter to either organize or join multiple port excursions. If you'd like to send me a note to my travel email with your ports I'll see if I can provide some background (balticports@yahoo.com).

DJ:)

Granted, we waited until the last minute to book.....so we didn't have a choice in this cabin.....sigh.

We've always cruised Carnival and have always had a balcony, usually on deck 5-8.

This time we decided to try out a "Cove Balcony." I researched this on here (CC) and on youtube....most people loved these. All Cove Balconies are on Deck 2.

Cabin 2441 has three major strikes against it (in my opinion).

#1 - right below the galley. 24 hours a day, there was noise coming from there (the deck plans didn't indicate this, until we were getting ready to get on the ship and were given one of the cards with the ship's layout).

Some nights (3am!!!) it sounded like loud scraping, others it sounded like thunder. TOO loud!! MISERABLE.

#2 - While standing on the balcony enjoying the beauty of the water, we had to contend with WARM air being blown DOWN on us from a vent (coming from the galley, we're assuming). So when the cool breezes were coming from the ocean, we had warm, stuffy, humid air being blown on us. UGH.

#3 - This room was right at the intersection of the elevator "lobby" and the hall, and the staircase. A couple of nights, well past 1am, it was very loud because the drunk passengers had forgotten there were others trying to rest.

I hope this helps someone out.....

robin

Three of us will be sailing in the Norwegian Pearl 24 Oct. Our cabin is a balcony, deck 10. Its designation is AFT cabin number 10094. Is this a good cabin? Large enough for 3? And what does the AFT mean? I hope it is in a quiet location and a good view.

Can't comment on the specific cabin but aft can mean one of two things. Your cabin is on the side of the ship but towards the stern from midship or it could be a true aft facing cabin at the very back of the ship. If in fact the latter is the case you have been truly blessed in my mind. We only sail in true aft cabins. You will find it very quiet back there as only the "locals" and staff will use the area. Balconies on these cabins are for the most part the largest on the ship. You do feel a little more motion back there but for us it's the only way to cruise. Have a look at the deck plans for your ship on the NCL web site to see exactly where it is and what is above and below it. Preferably you want cabins above and below you as if there is a common area noise could be a potential issue.

Can't comment on the specific cabin but aft can mean one of two things. Your cabin is on the side of the ship but towards the stern from midship or it could be a true aft facing cabin at the very back of the ship. If in fact the latter is the case you have been truly blessed in my mind. We only sail in true aft cabins. You will find it very quiet back there as only the "locals" and staff will use the area. Balconies on these cabins are for the most part the largest on the ship. You do feel a little more motion back there but for us it's the only way to cruise. Have a look at the deck plans for your ship on the NCL web site to see exactly where it is and what is above and below it. Preferably you want cabins above and below you as if there is a common area noise could be a potential issue.

Thanks for you response. I did look today, at the deck maps and the cabin seems to be located at the elevator/stairs lobby towards the rear of the ship. Might be a noisy area, perhaps? And there ARE cabins located above and below us. Hopefully it will prove to be to 'busy' an area.

Thanks for you response. I did look today, at the deck maps and the cabin seems to be located at the elevator/stairs lobby towards the rear of the ship. Might be a noisy area, perhaps? And there ARE cabins located above and below us. Hopefully it will prove to be to 'busy' an area.

If it is near an elevator, I think you are fine.

We like being near an elevator - makes finding the cabin easier.

WE've never been bothered by noise & our cabins are usually right at the elevator.

We've done way too many cruises on NCL to count & I think you will love it.

Have fun!

BTW - No such thing as a bad cruise!

You don't cook, clean or drive the "boat".

LOL

Judy

If it is near an elevator, I think you are fine.

We like being near an elevator - makes finding the cabin easier.

WE've never been bothered by noise & our cabins are usually right at the elevator.

We've done way too many cruises on NCL to count & I think you will love it.

Have fun!

BTW - No such thing as a bad cruise!

You don't cook, clean or drive the "boat".

LOL

Judy

Very good to know that the cabins are not subject to noise penetration, Thanks!

I really AM looking forward to experiencing this ship and this cruise line. In the past we have used RC.

I love cruising!

Very good to know that the cabins are not subject to noise penetration, Thanks!

I really AM looking forward to experiencing this ship and this cruise line. In the past we have used RC.

I love cruising!

We've done both RCCL and NCL.

We are casual folks & prefer NCL because of that.

We loved our RCCL cruise, but things were a little more formal.

We don't take "dress up" clothes.

Enjoy.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pretty savvy and pretty lucky so far on selecting cabins on HAL's ships.

I thought I was being smart to select a balcony cabin on deck 5 of the Eurodam, nothing but passenger cabins above and below me, so far so good.

What I failed to take into consideration was the ICE ROOM directly across the hall from my cabin. And the cabin steward who, every single day, anywhere between 6:15 AM and 6:45 AM would wheel his cart down the hall, fling open the Ice Room door, and then proceed to shovel ice from the big bin in the room into his smaller cart.

I threw open my door on day 2 and startled the crap out of him, and I asked him if he really needed to be doing that, this loud, at this hour, and he just looked at me as if I were an alien from outer space. Granted, I was annoyed and in a sleep stupor.....

I got used to it, and I am an early riser, so on the positive side, I never needed to worry about setting my alarm....but this is a warning for others, pay attention to everything around you, both on top, below and across or next to you. If you're sensitive to annoying noises, take some of these suggestions to heart. My deck plan did not indicate any specifically named room across the hall from me - next time I'd prefer to pick a room where there is an interior cabin or cabins across the hall. Much safer choice.

Room 1053 on Carnival Conquest was backed by a service hall, we were awakes very early every morning to carts, doors slamming, carts banging into the wall that our headboard was against! During the day we often tried to take a nap since we were awakened so early and it almost always was loud music and what sounded like a crew party was right on the other side of the same wall . The cruise was great, location great, just be prepared to be awakened early and don't try to take a nap in the room during the day.

It seems that what is disruptive depends on the depth of your sleep and how you play your trip. People who are very sensitive to sound (even raised kids, heard everything in the house while others slept) and are the up-all-night party-goers who intend to sleep in the next morning, you should be very careful in selecting your cabin. For all others, there are still some simple guidelines (that I also have violated, with poor effect) and most certainly, if you benefit from a guaranty category, its just a matter of luck!

ALWAYS look above and below cabin of choice. We've been in a brand-new Carnival ship (Magic, first winter) and foolishly thought that new construction means sound insulation -- no so! We had one of four lovely balcony aft cabins directly above an entertainment venue where the loud speakers are attached to the ceiling. Now this is what one calls disturbing in that the base and the treble came right through the floor! I guess that we should have taken blankets and slept out on the wonderful balcony? To make matters worse, I didn't pay any attention and realized this was a New Year's week party-on cruise from our homeport to the west Caribbean (beer and beach, etc.). I'm afraid this permanently soured me on any Carnival cruise again. Even when there is no other option, I now know just to stay home. We enjoy the shipboard experience, but mainly see the ship as a convenient way to visit many new locations.

As for the service compartment being right across the hall, last summer we were on a very old/small HAL vessel (Maasdam) for 14 days, and ended up in the last (aft) balcony right across from ice and fresh fruit. We easily kept ourselves in both!

Very important to learn from your own experience and then to know your own needs? Better to be on the defensive side -- since winter of 2011 I always review all three decks (cabin deck and decks above and below). Will never voluntarily select a cabin above or below an active public venue. We also now just prefer a balcony or other deck-access cabin just in case as it adds to flexibility.

DJ:)

I am looking at a Family Suite on Serenade of the Seas. They are at the very front of the ship on decks seven and eight. One of them in above the Theater. Not sure how much movement is felt right at the front. Also what are the views like right at the front. And is above a theater a big issue as I gather the shows wrap up by 11pm? Any help would be great!

You could hear noise above the theater and just not during performances. There are many activities that take place in there during the day including live rehearsals. The front of the ship feels the most movement of anywhere on the ship especially if it were to get rough and you are ploughing thru high seas. If motion sickness is an issue for anyone this might not be the best location. Two adjoining cabins mid ship might be better. Lastly if the balcony faces forward some are unusable when you are at sea due to the wind. Some lines actually lock off forward facing balconies when the ship is at high speed. If the balconies face the side of the ship this is a non issue. Hope this helps

Edited by Gunner22aa

• 2 weeks later...

Interior spa rooms on Carnival Splendor are fantastic. However, if you are a light to moderate sleeper don't get cabin 1051. On the map it is next to an seemingly innocuous blank space. That space is the entrance to the crew area and they are not gentle with the door. All night you will hear a whole lot of slamming. If you're a heavy sleeper though, it is a great room--excellent location.

You could hear noise above the theater and just not during performances. There are many activities that take place in there during the day including live rehearsals. The front of the ship feels the most movement of anywhere on the ship especially if it were to get rough and you are ploughing thru high seas. If motion sickness is an issue for anyone this might not be the best location. Two adjoining cabins mid ship might be better. Lastly if the balcony faces forward some are unusable when you are at sea due to the wind. Some lines actually lock off forward facing balconies when the ship is at high speed. If the balconies face the side of the ship this is a non issue. Hope this helps

what ship and what cabin number