Which cruiseline has the best piano bars?

elycelynne

The only one I've been to so far was years ago on Carnival's Celebration, where I got pretty tired of hearing "Cheeseburger in Paradise" five times a night (not that there's anything wrong with that -- don't want to offend any Parrotheads)!

I'm looking for the sing-along type where the pianist will play standards and show tunes and audience participation is encouraged. Suggestions?

IMO, any ship with Perry Grant playing in the piano bar! He fits your requirements to a "T"-lots of personality, wit and appreciation for the standards and his audience. He was with HAL until last year and I believe he is on one of the Radisson ships at present.

I'm voting Princess. Princess is our cruise line of choice. On the past couple of cruises with them, the piano player has literally had a couple of decks of people singing along and clapping and having an awesome time. Taking requests from the people ~ just simply working the crowd. :p :p :p

It really depends on who's playing. They usually contract on for a few months, usually 3 to 6 at a time. A few years ago, we were on a HAL ship and we had the BEST TIME every evening in the piano bar. We are on the same ship later (different piano player) and it was "OK".

On my HAL cruise whenever I went to the Paino bar and supposabally there was a schedule for the paino player he was never there. My table mate did catch him one night(he was an hour late) and all he did was'' name that tune '' a few bars then guess the singer, composer, Broadway show etc.etc. that and the fact the live band only played before dinner, never later in the evening; is the reason why I have never take another HAL cruise.

I have enjoyed the paino bars on Carnival,Princess and RCCL. We always make requests and throw the guy a couple of dollars. He almost always plays what we ask-only once or twice he did not know the song. Ofcourse you are right someone always asks for Jimmy Buffet but as long as the paino player can play other things I don't care-everyone has a right to hear the music they want.

I have to disagree on music onboard HAL ships. I have taken many, many HAL cruises and there is music in the Ocean bar till 12.30pm, the crows nest from 10pm until? the piano bar from 9.30 until? and classical music in the explorers lounge from 9pm until midnight. ....jean

Not our Alaska cruise on Statendam. Believe me we made the rounds anc checked all the bars. I am just not into sitting in a dead bar sipping on a stupid drink with no entertainment. Only an alcoholic would be willing to do that. We also checked the activites paper. As I said in my previous post the crow's nest only had the live band before dinner. ( We checked there later in the evening too because at least we could go in there and watch the ocean) There was no ball room dancing anywhere. The paino bar had listed several times listed in the activities paper and the player would not be there. We would go back 30 minutes later and still he would not be there. As I previously stated my tablemate said one night he finially showed up an hour late. we had given up by then. We ended up doing boring stuff like playing rummy or watching TV and then going to bed around 11p.m. being so bored. Neither TV or card playing are things I want to do on a cruise. I can do that at home and save the cost of a cruise. I won't say I will never take a HAL cruise again but it is highly unlikely.

The best pianist I've found is Barrington Brown who was on the Sun Princess in 1998. He sat at the white grand piano by a bar, I believe on the Restaurant deck (6). He sang broadway tunes, sing a longs, had cruisers get up and sing to a song. He was great. I missed half of his show each night because we were at the late seating. Mr.Brown is also an accomplished writer of children's books and I bought one for our granddaughter,PLUS, I bought one of his tapes. I use it with my seniors at work, on the singalong side. Does anyone know if he's still cruising and perfoming? Lynne

barrington barty brown was the highlight of our entertainment on the royal princess. we just returned 2 days ago from a norwegian cruise. what a showman.

he is a part w.c. fields and bobby short. he had a singing and laughing all night. and by the way my wife and i won some prizes .

burtshell

Thanks so much for letting me know where "Barty" is. Now, I guess we'll have to consider a cruise on the Royal Princess!!! Probably by the time we make it, he will have moved to another ship! I have fond memories of his show and I agree that he is a great showman!! Lynne

• 6 months later...

Archived