New York Daily News

carol54

From Norwegian Cruise Lines 2007-2008 Cruise Line Brochure.

Page 96

Itinerary Changes

In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or for any other reason whatsoever, NCL has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. NCL shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of it's ports of call. NCL may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel for any sailing and cannot be liable for any guests by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, or substitution. Reservations are subject to change or cancellation in the event of a full-ship charter, and in such event NCL shall refund all passage monies paid by the guest.

You can find this same type of terms in just about any cruise line brochure. Anyone has the right to charter a ship if they have the money to do so and the cruise line has the right to except the charter.

Ironically, one of our lead stories on Today on Cruise Critic -- today -- is called At Your Service: Can you get bumped?

And yes indeedy, you sure can. The practice is by no means limited to NCL; it happens on just about every line. Read the piece here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=340.

In the meantime, though getting bumped is a bummer, a couple of things really need to be said:

*NCL gave folks a generous amount of advance warning (we've seen worse; one couple arrived in Australia to board HAL's Statendam and were told the ship was oversold and they were out when they arrived at the dock)

*We always stress that, no matter what, you should get travel insurance (particularly in Bermuda/Caribbean/Mexican Riviera during hurricane season which this is); that would take care of the change fees.

*All cruise lines retain the right to do this; it's in the legalese in brochures and/or ticket contracts.

*NCL doesn't have wiggle room in terms of allowing some people to stay onboard because it's a full-ship charter. And unless you're part of the demographic that goes on Rosie's R Family Vacations (gay and lesbian parents and kids, along with supportive friends and relatives) you'd probably enjoy a more mainstream cruise anyway.

As I said, definitely a disappointment but -- there's time to find another cruise. I thought the story reporting on it was a disappointment as well. While the Daily News piece adequately conveyed the dismay of the family with eight cabins booked -- it could have offered some useful and practical perspective as well.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic

For those of you sailing from NYC area, we all know summer cruises are always a premium, and the earlier you book, the better.

Sure, the folks who got bumped from this cruise can re-book something else, but it will be at a much higher price at this late date, and they may not be able to get the category they want.

Summer sailings sell out FAST from NYC area!

So, I will have to agree that this was a poor decision made by NCL and R Family Vacations to charter a ship only 6-7months out. If they want to charter cruises, they should pick a date when the cruises are first put out for booking.

But, some people don't think about the needs of others; they are just concerned with their own agenda.

Guest BeckyThane
But, some people don't think about the needs of others; they are just concerned with their own agenda.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/499196p-420758c.html

Ok, let me take a big slug of the Kool-Aid (no pun intended). Those passengers that were booked and confirmed should be happy that they were even allowed to book and be bumped for a celebrity. They should be grateful that they were offered $100 OBC for their trouble. How dare they complain that they have to reschedule their vacations.

I stand behind what I said and I will continue to stand behind the comment. The problem is Rosie's not NCL.
But NCL could have said no to the charter. So NCL controlled whether or not this was a charter. It is 5 months out but still that's a very bad thing to do to other cruisers. I wonder if the cruise wasn't selling well and that was the best week to bump? Bad call NCL. Although they all do it so it's picking the lesser of all evils when you choose a cruise line.
Now why is it that others are allowed to voice their opinions and I am not??? Care to comment?
You're certainly allowed and you have been. ;)

For those interested, the term "Complaining Cheapskates" was referring to the cruisers(cruise cost less than $6-700) that go on the cruise, come back, find CC, and then blast NCL for their perceived bad time.

While I will agree that there have been some who have come on here with an apparent agenda with their negative reviews, there are bound to be negatives to every business. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to hear BOTH sides of an issue. The good and the bad and then use that combined information to make a better cruise for oneself. NCL is far from perfect, but they also put out a nice product.

The OP on this thread simply brought forth an article in a newspaper and stated her opinion. Her opinion is equal to yours, mine, Nita's, Cecila's etc... even Rosies. She is upset about a situation and simply wanted feedback, not personal attacks. I don't believe this OP is one of those here to "deystroy" NCL as you may think.

PLACE THE BLAME WERE IT BELONGS, ON ROSIE NOT NCL WHO IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY TO PAY YOUR STOCK DIVIDENDS!!!!!!:mad:

Sorry, but NCL is equally to blame. They could have said to Rosie: "let's look at some options and see where we might be able to fit you in with minimual disruption to our passengers." Perhaps a cruise later in the summer or next fall when there would be less passengers to work with. Or maybe only letting Rosie have the cabins that were not sold. We are only four months from that sailing, it is bound to be over 60% sold out already is just ridiculous. IN MY OPINION, Rosie is STEALING this cruise ship from others. But that is par for the course for that fat cow Rosie.

Btw Dwrist, in honor of you I emailed Mr. Daly, the author of the article, and I sent him a detailed listing of the five documented cases that we have had here on Cruise Critic about the cabin switches, which includes the very little compensation that NCL offered those of us affected. I will keep you posted as to what I hear. I was thinking about doing it anyhow, but your continued attacks of the OP convinced me that more needed exposed about NCL. Thanks for helping me make my decision.

I don't know why Rosie is being blamed. I assume she or her company went to NCL or a number of cruise lines and got the best deal she could for a full-ship charter. It is the company--NCL--that took people's money in exchange for reservations that didn't reserve anything. The fact that other cruise lines may do this does not make it right or good business. From another board I read of one luxury cruise line that is apparently notorious for canceling booked cruises in favor of charters--they are off my list of possible future cruises. Customers should complain when they are treated badly and others should take note of the lines that treat customers badly and make their cruise choices accordingly.

BTW, gay charters always charge more than the regular rates because of the special, extra entertainment; to make up for empty cabins since they have to pay for the entire ship, booked or not; or because the specialty market will bear it. NCL is not charging extra, R Family is. It is a hot topic on the gay board as to whether gay and lesbian customers are being mistreated by gay businesses.

While I will agree that there have been some who have come on here with an apparent agenda with their negative reviews, there are bound to be negatives to every business. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to hear BOTH sides of an issue. The good and the bad and then use that combined information to make a better cruise for oneself. NCL is far from perfect, but they also put out a nice product.

The OP on this thread simply brought forth an article in a newspaper and stated her opinion. Her opinion is equal to yours, mine, Nita's, Cecila's etc... even Rosies. She is upset about a situation and simply wanted feedback, not personal attacks. I don't believe this OP is one of those here to "deystroy" NCL as you may think.

Sorry, but NCL is equally to blame. They could have said to Rosie: "let's look at some options and see where we might be able to fit you in with minimual disruption to our passengers." Perhaps a cruise later in the summer or next fall when there would be less passengers to work with. Or maybe only letting Rosie have the cabins that were not sold. We are only four months from that sailing, it is bound to be over 60% sold out already is just ridiculous. IN MY OPINION, Rosie is STEALING this cruise ship from others. But that is par for the course for that fat cow Rosie.

Btw Dwrist, in honor of you I emailed Mr. Daly, the author of the article, and I sent him a detailed listing of the five documented cases that we have had here on Cruise Critic about the cabin switches, which includes the very little compensation that NCL offered those of us affected. I will keep you posted as to what I hear. I was thinking about doing it anyhow, but your continued attacks of the OP convinced me that more needed exposed about NCL. Thanks for helping me make my decision.

Since when is postings on a public forum, documented cases??:D MAybe by your standards, but any journalist worth their weight in gold would not accept these cases as documented.

Keystone you have more sense then to believe anyone would honestly believe posts from disguised people on an open public forum where anyone with a grudge, any school child, any college student, any person of any race, creed, gender, sexual persuasion, religion, can post what ever is on their mind, true or false. Do you seriously believe everything on this board that is posted? Or do you only believe what you want to believe? :rolleyes:

You're welcome, I think.

< i guess we disagree again. maybe we need to cruise together to battle our differences out on a ship:D in the middle of deep blue water with drinks in hand>

Why the fuss? Those who have been canceled have plenty of time to move on and make other arrangementss.

. . .Yeah, if you have no job, no children, aren't flying in, aren't on your honeymoon, or part of a reunion or other large group:)

Easier said then done!!!! Especially in the NY area where the window between the last day of school and active hurricane season is razor thin. For people traveling with children or with groups, there are multiple school and work schedules to take into account, making 'other arrangements' can become a logistical nightmare!!!! For my June 2 cruise, it appears several cabin cats are sold out and the catagory I am booked in is several hundred dollars more this week than what I paid for it the a couple of weeks ago!

Just my 2 cents but, just because all the other cruiselines, hotels, and airlines are doing it, doesn't make it right! And yes, to someone as type A as me 5 months is extremely short notice! As for the fine print in the brochure. . .I'm still waiting for the one I ordered 3 months ago to get here;)

I really hope the news media continues to put faces to the people bumped from this cruise. It will educate the public about the 'ugly' side of the cruise industry.

Good luck to those affected! Keep us posted!

Looking at this from my selfish perspective. I have for years have had to bid for vacation weeks prior to the new year. It is difficult to get a week of vacation in the summer if you don't have the seniority. I would be upset for sure if I had to scramble to rebook on another line at a higher price because a 'celebrity' booked a charter at almost the last minute because she feels her interests are more important than mine. Legally NCL can do this as has been stated, but they don't have to. NCL is just asking for bad publicity as a result of this.

Bad customer service is bad customer service and is not a good business practice. While all cruise lines do this, NCL seems to be doing it more and doing so this close to the cruise date is unacceptable.

I really enjoyed my cruise on the NCL Star. I can think of three more cruises that I would be interested in taking on NCL. However, I also have a right to vote with my wallet. If this is how NCL is going to treat its passengers, then perhaps I will have to think twice about booking with NCL.

NCL may have a contractual right to do what it did, but I (and everyone else) also has a right to book on other lines. There are business that I will not deal with because of poor customer service. I don't mind paying a little bit more to be treated with respect.

I already have my cruises for this year and next year planned. Neither is on NCL, but that has nothing to do with this. However, I have nothing planned for 2009 and beyond. I'll see how all of this plays out. If NCL does right (and from another board I read where someone bumped from this cruise was treated very fairly by NCL) then NCL will stand on an equal footing with the other cruise lines I enjoy. If NCL does not treat its passengers with the respect that they deserve, then I'll just book on other lines.

I can think of at least twelve cruises I would like to go on in the coming years. Whether or not three of these cruises will be with NCL remains to be seen.

By the way, I have been to one of those organization booked times at Disneyland. During the non-summer months, Disneyland closes to the general public at 6:00pm. Organizations can book the park after 6:00pm. So no one gets bumped by this. Some days/nights are well known far in advance. Grad night is one example. These blocked out dates are known a year in advance. A few months prior to a cruise is not, in my opinion, fair notice.

Could it even be contemplated that maybe it is time that government got involved in all this. Not just this case. The whole travel entertainment industry.

This could not be a bipartisan issue, but an international issue. It is time the whole fiction of flying foreign flags was hit head on.

This is a consumer issue, plain and simple.

Where are you FTC? If the Public Health Service can be involved, why not other agencies?

Write your congressman. This should be an easy one for them.

I don't see any difference whether Rosie booked out the ship or whether NCL scheduled a dry dock for the ship that week. Why are so many upset with Rosie or NCL? This charter was announced a few months ago, not last week.

Book an airline flight a year in advance, there will be a good chance that flight's schedule would be changed too. Since its a long time before the cruise, everyone has the opportunity of a refund plus $100 credit to change their cruise and flight. Its not like all of the summers cruises and air flights are booked out.

My only regret is that Rosie could have picked another week not so close to a holiday.

Hm...This makes me wonder why we are just now having this "news" story? Why didn't they complain a few months ago and make it headline news then? (And sorry, but no, I don't think this is "news"; OTOH, I don't think the whole Donald-Rosie "feud" is news and I don't really give a you-know-what about Brittany Spears--their goings on are not news for crying out loud!)

Anyway, IMO if there is any "blame" here (and most of us know that these kind of charters happen from time to time with all cruise lines; not that we have to like it, but this does happen), then the blame lies with NCL and no one else. It is entirely at the discretion of the cruise line that this charter was scheduled. For me though, if in fact the charter was announced a few months ago (I'm guessing maybe last December?), then that is more than 6 months out from the cruise date and gives bumped pax time to alter their plans one way or another.

Believe me, I'd be ticked too, and I think that coverage of air change fees plus a small OBC (perhaps $75 p/p) and the option to book another week on that ship or a different ship for the original week at the lowest available rate (either the current fare or the original fare, whichever is lowest) would be far better customer care and generate much better responses. It's a small price to keep more cruisers (and in some cases long-time customers) happy and saying, "Well, we got bumped, but NCL made it right for us."

I do understand that many people have to request and plan vacations far in advance and don't have much opportunity to change dates. That's why I mention the option to book another NCL ship cruising on (or about) the original cruise date. That would help people who simply can't change their vacation dates.

What a pain for all those pax.

beachchick

With millions watching her show every weekday lts likely NCL will book other ships quicker as she promotes NCL every day on her television show.

One cruise, probably at this stage, a quarter booked, or about 250 cabins, say times $800 each, times 2 for double occupany, comes to $400,000. A year's worth of television advertising would be at least ten times that amount. Marketing nationwide is not cheap.

Nobody spends $4 million in television advertising unless they suspect to generate even more revenues, much more. From a business decision, NCL gains more revenues with much less marketing costs.

Marketing is one of the best avenues to grow a business.

Sounds like a good class action suit.

I don't like this whole situation either, but on what grounds would it be class action? NCL (and the other cruise lines) cover themselves by specifically and explicitly stating that pax can bumped in the event of "full ship charter" and that the only responsibility of NCL is to refund any money which bumped pax have paid. Where's the cause of action?

Also, for those who say it's time for the US government to get involved. Does anyone reasonably expect that the issue of bumping booked customers for charters or conventions or special events will be addressed? Considering how many influential Americans own resorts and resort chains in the US, and considering that they are allowed to do the same sort of thing under US laws, can we believe that federal laws will be changed to say "Nope; once someone books with you, that's it no matter what"? I don't because it would hurt big travel industry owners, and it is the owners who have the influence rather than the rest of us. (Mind you, I am not under any circumstances saying it is right; just saying that's how it is. And until our government becomes business friendly again, rather than business owner friendly, I do not expect to see any changes that will benefit the "little guy." It's disheartening though, that's for sure.):(

beachchick

Archived