New York Daily News

carol54

I wanted to respond to this story but all I could think of was curse words and I know I'm not suppose to print those here. Hopefully, the world will now see that with Rosie and NCL that money talks and BS walks.

If I had booked that cruise with my family and got bumped, I would make sure that whatever good, free publicity NCL got from Rosie, that there would be twice as much bad, free publicity from the passengers bumped off. Hopefully, this is the first of many articles and that the local television stations and national media will pick up this story.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bumped from Norwegian this late in the game? Bad form...Makes me really not want to cruise on Norwegian...

The gist of the story is, a family reserved 8 cabins for a family reunion...to celebrate an 84th birthday among other big milestones for a July cruise on Dawn. Part of the family lives in NY where the cruise originates, but part lives in Las Vegas and already booked tickets...Rosie decides last week to book the entire ship for one of her "get togethers" and the poor family gets bumped. Norwegian gives only $100 towards another Norwegian cruise. I'm not even part of this family and it angers me...Here's the whole story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/499072p-420758c.html

I've not cruised with Norwegian...This puts a bad taste in my mouth. Why wouldn't they let people who are already booked stay on? That's not fair. The poor family can re-book...but it would cost them $500 more per person...what a rip.

Bumped from Norwegian this late in the game? Bad form...Makes me really not want to cruise on Norwegian...

The gist of the story is, a family reserved 8 cabins for a family reunion...to celebrate an 84th birthday among other big milestones for a July cruise on Dawn. Part of the family lives in NY where the cruise originates, but part lives in Las Vegas and already booked tickets...Rosie decides last week to book the entire ship for one of her "get togethers" and the poor family gets bumped. Norwegian gives only $100 towards another Norwegian cruise. I'm not even part of this family and it angers me...Here's the whole story.

I've not cruised with Norwegian...This puts a bad taste in my mouth. Why wouldn't they let people who are already booked stay on? That's not fair. The poor family can re-book...but it would cost them $500 more per person...what a rip.

Why get mad at NCL for Rosie's bossy ways? What company would turn down a huge sum of money for complaining cheapskates? Tell Rosie what she did to that family and how wrong she is for being an elitist, and for kicking them off of the Dawn for her cruise, .

<<This NCL board is attracting a certain group of people that are trying to turn NCL cruising into a fiasco:mad: >>

The other thing to remember is that NCL is notorious for switching people's cabins after they have booked and got a cabin number. We know of at least five documented cases on this board and I am sure there are many others since only a small percentage of NCL cruisers belong to Cruise Critic.

What I can't understand is why it had to be THIS summer. Many people plan things a year in advance. The Student Activities office at our high school had to book the location for the 2008 Senior Prom (in May, 2008) last month! Why can't Rosie and her associates look ahead a year and book...why not charter a ship in July 2008 now before people are booked on it?

Chartering a ship only four months out is just plain selfish...but it is Rosie.....

The compensation is what I have a problem with, NCL should pay rebooking costs with associated travel expenses.

<<This NCL board is attracting a certain group of people that are trying to turn NCL cruising into a fiasco:mad: >>

Totally uncalled for attack. The OP was simply stating their opinion and a link to a legitimate published report in the paper. The reason this board has a bad name is that we have to attack everyone who has any negative thing to say about NCL. Yes, there have been "questionable" one hit wonders on here who's reviews seem to have a hidden purpose, but this thread and post is not that at all. If we attack things like this, then this board might as well be owned by NCL instead of being independent.

It does not matter who is at "Fault", this is a poor business practice as far as the general public is concerned, and a money-maker for the company involved; be it a cruise line, or Disney land.

Money speaks more loudly than the middle-class general public will ever be able to. We too would be terribly upset to have a family reunion/celebration disrupted in this manner. For most of us working class folk, planning, and being able to pull off getting our families together is a major feat. Then, to have it taken from us with such a pitiful compensation is a double whammy!

Seems any business should have guidelines which Celebrities or other's must follow - whereby at least a year advance notice to charter or take over any type of business.

This practice would truly leave me in doubt about a company too if this sort of situation affected our plans. Not good business at all IMHO.

Oh, I too would be pissed at this, but there's nothing that can be done except complain and blame Rosie and NCL. But, any cruise line can do this. Even a hotel or car rental agency can do this.

However, it's within the guidlines outlined in your booking agreement. "Insert Cruise Line Here reserves the right to change, cancel etc without warning..." So, it's important to read the guidelines. Heck, they are lucky they are getting anything from NCL because as I read it, their final payment hadn't been made yet so it was just a booking.

Part of the cost of chartering a ship is the cost of making those that are bumped off "whole" again. Surely NCL charged her enough to do that for those that had made plans. These people should be reaccommodated without any funds out of pocket - and then some - on Rosie's dime. That is what a good company does for its customers.

I would say that reason the cruise lines do this is for all of the publicity it generates for them. They don't seem to care about their booked passengers when they know Rosie will be telling everyone about the cruise on TV for months to come.

They're on the Jewel this week also.

It's too bad their reunion has become a difficult thing for them to plan. I hope they're able to make other arrangements and have a great cruise. I do think a bit more credit would be appropriate, or some help in planning another cruise.

Not blame NCL????? Are you kidding? Who else would you blame?!? :rolleyes: They are the ones who make the decision to allow passengers to be bumped from a cruise already booked. And they are the ones who decide what compensation (if that is what you can call $100 off a future cruise) is given when that decision is made. :mad:

Not blame NCL????? Are you kidding? Who else would you blame?!? :rolleyes: They are the ones who make the decision to allow passengers to be bumped from a cruise already booked. And they are the ones who decide what compensation (if that is what you can call $100 off a future cruise) is given when that decision is made. :mad:
I agree completely. And if NCL did not charge Rosie enough to compensate these displaced passengers MUCH more than that, they aren't very good at business - and they don't really care about their customers.

Why get mad at NCL for Rosie's bossy ways? What company would turn down a huge sum of money for complaining cheapskates? Tell Rosie what she did to that family and how wrong she is for being an elitist, and for kicking them off of the Dawn for her cruise, .

Are you kidding me??? Who in their right mind would post something like that? THis poor family and many others have been displaced, and you feel the need to insult them. I guess i would be a cheapskate to under you defintion because i would be livid.

Oh, I too would be pissed at this, but there's nothing that can be done except complain and blame Rosie and NCL. But, any cruise line can do this. Even a hotel or car rental agency can do this.

However, it's within the guidlines outlined in your booking agreement. "Insert Cruise Line Here reserves the right to change, cancel etc without warning..." So, it's important to read the guidelines. Heck, they are lucky they are getting anything from NCL because as I read it, their final payment hadn't been made yet so it was just a booking.

Not only can they, they do; every line and as someone mentioned DisneyWorld. Would I be pissed? You bet but business is business as the old saying goes. Some people on this board are not as experienced with travel as others and don't realize these thing happen all the time. If this happened one month out it would be one thing, it is months away. There is plenty of time to make other plans. NMnita

One cannot find anything positive to say about this, I will be on the sun in march and had this happened back in november i would be on another cruise line as for next year i wont forget this. :mad: Mr Bill.
If you would like to find a cruiseline that doesn't do this you would be hard pressed. Everyone of them, HAL being the worst in my opinion. Hotels over sell and walk you to another or won't even honor the price confirmed. this happened to my daughter about 3 weeks ago: confirmed at one price, called by the hotel reservations dept a week piror to her vacataion and was told the hotel was sold out, the price couldn't be honored bit they had found a similar hotel for only $50 a night more. Long story. Just think everyone needs to know as bad as it is and it is bad, it will continue to happen. What can be done? I don't know but I think it is important for everyone to realize this isn't just an NCL policy. NMNita

Archived