New York Daily News

carol54

Regal Princess had to cancel a cruise due to damages to the ship. Per Cruise Critic, "all booked passengers will receive a full refund including airfare. The line is also offering additional compensation in the form of a future cruise credit equal to 35 percent of the cruise fare paid."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1944

Does this not seem like a more reasonable way to compensate?

And when NCL and Carnival had to recently cancel cruises at the last minute both cruise lines offered a full refund plus a 25 percent on board credits.

I believe the amount of time involved in the change had something to do with the increased on board credit. Both cruises that were canceled recently had passengers arriving at the pier for the next day, both cruise lines allowed passengers on board the first night, and both cruise lines help the passengers to make further arrangements.

However, the Rosie charter was announced months in advance. With the refund, everyone should be able to book another cruise or book Disneyland if they wish. At any time.

Almost every hotel and airline overbook. It is practice of the travel/tourist industry with many last minute cancellations. While everyone feels for these passengers affected by this charter, why does no one feel for the hospitality industry when guests cancel at the last minute?

This street runs both ways. I have read on these forums that some passengers book two cruises to ensure a cruise that week, and despite the penalties, cancel one at the last minute.

As far as the airfare is concerned, if the passengers had properly booked travel insurance, their airfares which don't change much until three weeks before a flight, would be covered. Again, the Rosie cruise is still months away.

Regal Princess had to cancel a cruise due to damages to the ship. Per Cruise Critic, "all booked passengers will receive a full refund including airfare. The line is also offering additional compensation in the form of a future cruise credit equal to 35 percent of the cruise fare paid."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1944

Does this not seem like a more reasonable way to compensate?

Much better.

It is still a sad situation, with the latest denial from Rosie making the topic more newsworthy (or unworthy??).

Any of us have to admit that this type of situation would be terribly upsetting. It seems too easy for some to say get over it, and rebook - it simply is not that easy for working families with children, and the need to pre-plan. Even as retirees, we would not like this scenario at all.

The very task of planning a multi-family get together is daunting.

To have arrived at a date when all could meet, have made all reservations, to include airfare -( which if made at a later date, could be up to twice what was previously paid) - to have selected cabins, and booked same, is a terrific chore. To find out at this late date that it is not going to happen is inexcusable in my book.

Seems if chartering is becoming more and more of a problem, specific ships should be earmarked for such, and passengers who are booking could either opt to take their chances or not. Being forewarned is always a good thing. Many folks would love the challenge, then those with large groups to consider, could avoid being caught in such a scenario.

I still cannot imagine having a planned vacation so disrupted.

Would I be furious, you bet. Would I blame Rosie, not at all.

NCL is making the decision and the blame lies with them.

This in no way would sour me about cruising with NCL, because

to me they are the best game in town but it seems to be the way

of the world that "money" will always talk. I guess NCL had it's "listening

ears" on.

Barb

This street runs both ways. I have read on these forums that some passengers book two cruises to ensure a cruise that week, and despite the penalties, cancel one at the last minute.

As far as the airfare is concerned, if the passengers had properly booked travel insurance, their airfares which don't change much until three weeks before a flight, would be covered. Again, the Rosie cruise is still months away.

If someone books two cruises and then cancells one at the last minute, paying the penality, the cruise line gets to keep that penality yet incures no cost, as the passenger will not be on the ship. Seems the cruise line has protected itself in this case.

As to airfare, there are government rules regarding bumped passengers. Perhaps the cruise lines should be subjected to the same rules. As to being bumped by a charter, I don't know if travel insurance covers this (though I don't know that it does not either).

Without taking sides, I do have to question the actions of some people. I read where someone admitted to purchasing a hotel room via Priceline (non-refundable) one year in advance. That is far to far in advance for a non-refundable booking.

Again, with airfare, I am not booking air until about 90 - 100 days prior to the cruise. The reason is the airlines keep changing their schedules. On my last cruise I booked the air about 60 days out and the day after I booked it the schedule changed. My return flight left one hour later. Worked out well for me. However, several other flights that I was interested in between one year and six months prior either changed their timing or disappeared completely.

Planning a vacation, especially one that involves several thousands of dollars means PLANNING. Not just okay, this is what I want, here is my credit card. Now, having gone through all of that, what kind of customer service is it to then tell these people, okay, we like Rosie better than you, so she gets to cruise and you don't. Too bad. Here is $100, be happy we are willing to give you even this much.

NCL is not the only cruise line out there. If NCL wants to wait until a few months prior to a cruise to tell people too bad, then people are free to book other cruise lines. Perhaps if NCL notices a drop in its non-charter bookings it will take notice.

The bottom line is that EVERYONE of those who were bumped can easily rebook through Rosie and still enjoy the same cruise most likely at a higher price. Rosie's cruise will have much better entertainent aboard.

Better entertainment??? - maybe - I would suggest "Different" entertainment.

Heaven forbid - Entertainment of all sorts can be good for some, but not all want to be exposed.

Thanks, but no thanks. And, to think, you could even pay more for this pleasure.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree with Casshew. Rosie could have chartered the rest of the shp leaving those already booked a nightmare. I would rather be bumped.

As I recall Rosie chartered this cruise a couple of months ago. NCL has had a lot of changes lately, besides the Rosie charter, involving three ships involved in the Sun's change in itinerary.

Its amazing how many do not keep up with the shipping news. I think the only reason why this thread has developed over this week is the Daily News tabloid story.

I have traveled a lot. I cannot count how many times I have had flights canceled, bumped with or without my approval, missed connection flights, and delayed. Or how many times I have bumped out of a hotel. Its been so much, I have lost count.

If you are not willing to roll with the punches traveling, frankly, its my opinion you shouldn't travel.

I agree with Casshew. Rosie could have chartered the rest of the shp leaving those already booked a nightmare. I would rather be bumped.

As I recall Rosie chartered this cruise a couple of months ago. NCL has had a lot of changes lately, besides the Rosie charter, involving three ships involved in the Sun's change in itinerary.

Its amazing how many do not keep up with the shipping news. I think the only reason why this thread has developed over this week is the Daily News tabloid story.

I have traveled a lot. I cannot count how many times I have had flights canceled, bumped with or without my approval, missed connection flights, and delayed. Or how many times I have bumped out of a hotel. Its been so much, I have lost count.

If you are not willing to roll with the punches traveling, frankly, its my opinion you shouldn't travel.

Agree on being bumped for this particular cruise. No way would we want to be on this cruise.

As to not staying up on all of the shipping news, that is not amazing at all to me. Many of us only care about our particular cruise - and most probably aren't the least bit interested in the ins and outs of the industry.

Rolling with the punches is a given, but in this particular instance, of an entire family, after much planning, etc., being bumped, is much more than two or three folks, rebooking an event. Not the same at all IMHO.

Stating that folks should not travel seems a bit unkind towards the given circumstances, to me.

Glad that we are each entitled to our opinions here.:)

Guest BeckyThane
As I recall Rosie chartered this cruise a couple of months ago.

Don ~

I think you're confusing this charter with a previous Rosie's Family charter, e.g., the Jewel's current sailing Feb. 18-25. If this particular charter were done several months ago, why would NCL have continued to accept reservations, and only notified booked passengers last Friday??? :eek:

~ Becky

This happens dozens of times a year with all the cruise lines. The majority of time you'll never know the organziation or company whose doing the charter because it's either an incentive trip or being marketed to a very small niche of people. It states in all cruise line brochures that trips can be cancelled due to charters. Don't take it personal, hotels cancel reservations for conventions all the time and theme parks close for VIP groups on a regular basis too.

Take care,

Michael

This happens dozens of times a year with all the cruise lines. The majority of time you'll never know the organziation or company whose doing the charter because it's either an incentive trip or being marketed to a very small niche of people. It states in all cruise line brochures that trips can be cancelled due to charters. Don't take it personal, hotels cancel reservations for conventions all the time and theme parks close for VIP groups on a regular basis too.

Take care,

Michael

Its my opinion five months is still a long time before a cruise. Frankly, I usually book a cruise around a month before, about the same time I book a flight.

I do feel for those bumped as I have been bumped many times by airlines and hotels, it is common in the travel industry.I have also missed a train connection in Chicago on Amtrak, and have had a train trip canceled due to weather. No one has ever given me more than a total refund. No airline, no hotel, not even the US owned Amtrak. Its unfortunate, but protesting here won't accomplish anything. I suggest if you are so concerned send an email to Congress.

Well thankfully I'm not that kind of person either. What I can't understand is how many people here are defending the cruise line. Yes, they can cancel because of a full charter, but that is no reason to defend their doing so this close to sailing. It's ridiculous NCL would care so little about those loyal enough to book far in advance to pull this sort of garbage, and I'd have no interest in sailing with a company that treats it's customers with so little respect. the rest of you can go on and sing their praises, but the bottom line is that they couldn't care less about each and every one of us. If you thin they still deserve your blind loyalty rant away at how ungrateful the bumped passengers are.

Well thankfully I'm not that kind of person either. What I can't understand is how many people here are defending the cruise line. Yes, they can cancel because of a full charter, but that is no reason to defend their doing so this close to sailing. It's ridiculous NCL would care so little about those loyal enough to book far in advance to pull this sort of garbage, and I'd have no interest in sailing with a company that treats it's customers with so little respect. the rest of you can go on and sing their praises, but the bottom line is that they couldn't care less about each and every one of us. If you thin they still deserve your blind loyalty rant away at how ungrateful the bumped passengers are.
I think NCL made a bad decision by pulling this so close to sailing. However, you'd be hard pressed to find any cruise line that hasn't had this kind of issue or something equally as bad. Just like with the airlines, you have to pick the less of all evils in your eyes and spend your money with them.

This isn't just about being bumped. Its about being told that your reservation is no good, BUTTTTTTTTTTT if you want to go on this cruise you still can. BUTTTTTTT you have to rebook with Rosie's travel agency and pay more money..

If I get bumped off a flight there is no way I can get on that flight. Lets not try to overly simplify it. Greed, Greed and more Greed.....

I'm sure God Mother Rosie has enough hooks with NCL that she can charter a ship before the bookings ever open to the public...then no one gets hurt...

Aren't you going to place some blame on the cruisers who wish to book vacations a year or more in advance? Most businesses think in quarters, not many corporations or people for that matter book reservations beyond three months.

I have been answering different threads each week for months when will the itineraries be posted beyond April 2008. No wonder this happens, anyone wanting to charter a cruise has to do so two years in advance.

Of course, you will turn this around saying cruise lines should not post two years of itineraries.......

How can anyone charter a cruise without a itinerary posted? Is it the chicken and the egg, which came first?

Better entertainment??? - maybe - I would suggest "Different" entertainment.

Heaven forbid - Entertainment of all sorts can be good for some, but not all want to be exposed.

Thanks, but no thanks. And, to think, you could even pay more for this pleasure.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't be confused, this is a family cruise, one for gay people and their children, the entertainment hired by rfamily cruises isn't going to be the "different entertainment" whatever that is, that you may be thinking of.

MAC

Its my opinion five months is still a long time before a cruise. Frankly, I usually book a cruise around a month before, about the same time I book a flight.

Just because you are in a position that is flexible enough to book with only one month's notice does not mean everyone is. Some people have to plan their vacation the year before. Taking a ship off the market less than six months prior to sailing is not fair to those who have to make their plans the year before. Once inside nine months the cruise lines should not allow a full ship charter.

Which is it. six months or nine months cruiser2? NCL did it with five months to spare.

What about all of those who booked reservations further than nine months out? Or is it six months?

How can anyone charter a ship without a itinerary? Yes, it is the chicken and the egg, which came first.

I wish I was so flexible also. It is kind of hard when you need a quad cabin at the last minute. Sure I am not the only one. Anyway, there is some interesting information on the charter company's customer forums. People have been discussing this cruise since last July! NCL is just now notifying people last week? Something seems very wrong here.

http://www.rfamilyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Archived