Fingers crossed

stoneharborlady

I will keep my fingers crossed that no one takes this post to be insulting or ignorant, it certainly is NOT meant to be, but I would like to know, if visiting one of the beach clubs on Cozumel, and buying lunch, is it chancy? I grew up hearing "Dont drink the water, or eat the fruit in Mexico" Is it really a potential problem, or is that an old wives tale? Have never been to Mexico, and if we spend the day, will certainly need lunch. We plan to go to Paradise Beach, which looks lovely, and the website says the water is 100 percent purified. Im sure many of you have been there.

Excellent question.

If you go to a place frequented by cruise ship tourists, you'll probably be fine regardless of what you do.

To be safer, order alcoholic beverages or bottled water (brought to you with the cap still attached) and avoid raw leafy vegetables. Fruit is iffy - if it's something you can peel and only eat the inside, it's fine - if it's a fruit where you eat the whole thing, I probably wouldn't.

Most likely, you won't have a problem - but if you stick to well cooked food and avoid the local water (and ice) - you should do very nicely.

We also have a cruise to Mexico coming up. I have to admit, it is the one place we don't have lunch on land unless it is a ships sponsored excursion. False sense of security maybe? Just not worth taking the chance of becoming ill for me. We stick to bottled water and have a large breakfast before we leave the ship, and then head to the buffet when we return.

Since I'm from California, I've been going down to Mexico for years. My favorite place is Cabo. I eat and drink everything at the resort and in town, including salads and I have never gotten sick. But I'm careful where I'm eating and drinking. Last year in Cozumel we went to one of those pay to get in type of beaches, Playa something, that included a full bar and a lunch buffet. We drank Margaritas and ate the lunch buffet and we were perfectly ok.

I agree, better safe than sorry. I travel frequently to Mexico for business. My tip is to avoid anything that might come into contact with tap water. As the previous post noted, lettuce is one of the most dangerous things. Many people get sick trying to be healthy eating a salad and end up very unhappy. There are still penty of things you can eat - burger and fries, seafood, etc. Mexico has some great food, just play it smart and it will be a great experience.

I will keep my fingers crossed that no one takes this post to be insulting or ignorant, it certainly is NOT meant to be, but I would like to know, if visiting one of the beach clubs on Cozumel, and buying lunch, is it chancy? I grew up hearing "Dont drink the water, or eat the fruit in Mexico" Is it really a potential problem, or is that an old wives tale? Have never been to Mexico, and if we spend the day, will certainly need lunch. We plan to go to Paradise Beach, which looks lovely, and the website says the water is 100 percent purified. Im sure many of you have been there.

You'll be fine at Paradise Beach - DH and I have visited twice and both times had drinks and lunch with no problems what so ever.

I just did Princess' Passion Island excursion that included drinks and lunch and once again everything was fine.

Go, have lunch, relax and kick back! Then tell us all about it when you get back. ;)

Paradise beach is wonderful - we ate and drank and everything was fine - food is very very good - I would like to recommend you have the double stacked club quesadillas - they were AWESOME!!! Make sure you say hello to harley and Tom (the Manager) he is a great host. We can't wait to go back!

Been to Paradise Beach 4 times, no problems whatsoever. Have had burgers, fries, quesadillas with the pico (tomato/onion), frozen drinks, beer and bottled water. The food was very good, everything is clean (new bathrooms/showers are complete) and the manager is American. He loves Chef Boyardee ravioli and sometimes CC members bring it to him. His name is Paradise Tom. He strolls around and asks everyone if they are having fun. Tell him you are a CC member and he will chat awhile. :)

DW and I were in Cozumel on Valentines day:o . We had lunch and quite a few Margaritas:D (with ice) and had no problems. I agree with another poster, if it is a place where the cruise ship market goes, you shouldn't have any problem. Have a blast. Cozumel is a lot of fun:) .

Certain places in Mexico use filtered water for ice, some for food prep. Places like Cozumel & Canaun have mostly filter water but don't drink the tap water. The other thing to watch is making sure cold foods are cold and hot foods are hot. It's not like there aren't food born illness out breaks in the US.

I would look at get a Hepatitis A shot not just for Mexico but in general to protect yourself.

We've always eaten breakfast on the ship and take our traveler's cup with ship ice and water to drink. We generally return back to the ship shortly afternoon to grab a bite to eat and fill up on another water bottle. We discovered at some ports that we went to on our Western Caribbean trip that the bottled water, Cokes, etc. were not made in the USA. We did on our 3rd trip finally have a margarita at Carlos 'N Charlies and we were fine. We still do not plan to eat off the ship and will take our water bottles with us again on this upcoming trip.

You COULD also ask the buffet kitchen to wrap some sandwiches for you to take onshore....

Negative, agricultural laws prohibit the introduction of foreign foods into their country without inspection. There are similar laws in the US and yes, even in Canada. It is listed on the Patters not to bring prepared food to the ports.

The bottom line is that one needs to be safe. Do not purchase any food products from street vendors. If you want to be pro-active, drink some Pepto-bismol prior to the ingestion of foods while at the port. This way you can coat your stomach and prevent your body from experiencing a reaction to the different oils use in their cooking.

NO ICE! Sorry about the shouting but after taking a Princess excursion in Cabo years ago to a nice resort that had filtered water and drinking a canned soda over ice, I got Amebic dysentary (spelling?) It took 8 weeks and a hospitalization to get the little worms out of my system! I'd check the CDC first for recommendations on water in Mexico's resorts and if nothing was shown one way or other I'd stick with NO ICE!:eek:

NO ICE! Sorry about the shouting but after taking a Princess excursion in Cabo years ago to a nice resort that had filtered water and drinking a canned soda over ice, I got Amebic dysentary (spelling?) It took 8 weeks and a hospitalization to get the little worms out of my system! I'd check the CDC first for recommendations on water in Mexico's resorts and if nothing was shown one way or other I'd stick with NO ICE!:eek:

Yuk, sorry about what happened to you. I would be happy to do without the drink, and will settle happily for a can of coke if they sell it that way, a burger and fries will be perfect. We do have to buy lunch in order to use the chairs, umbrellas and facilities. Karen

I've been all over Mexico, 3 weeks in Acapulco, 2 weeks in Puerto Vallarta, 2 weeks manzinillo, Ixtapa, Cancun., 1 week in Mexico City. I have never been ill - ever.

We just stick to the main stream restaurants and nice hotels, we don't eat at the local dives.

You'll be fine at Paradise Beach - DH and I have visited twice and both times had drinks and lunch with no problems what so ever.

I just did Princess' Passion Island excursion that included drinks and lunch and once again everything was fine.

Go, have lunch, relax and kick back! Then tell us all about it when you get back. ;)

How'd you enjoy it? We did that one last year (on Carnival) and absolutely had a BALL!!!!!

Archived