Tell me about Oceania!

julieanne

Please tell me about Oceania. Having 35+ cruises under my belt, I always salivate when I see their ads and specials! I remember when ships were small and I yearn for that experience again! Thinking about the 3/10/08 sailing of the Insignia from Rio to Barcelona......

Hi Julieanne

I see where you are sailing on Splendor of the Seas next month. What you won't find on an Oceania ship are rock climbing walls, 18-hole miniature golf courses, youth activity lounges, shopping arcades, hullabaloo, 2435 passengers, formal nights, fixed seat dining - 'nuff said?

Sailing on Oceania provides a very laid back, classy experience. You will seldom, if ever, have fellow passengers under the age of 40, and the majority will be repeat customers who are well-traveled, sophisticated, and unpretentious. Many itineraries are sold out months in advance.

Cuisine is wonderful - many say it is the best afloat (we agree with that assessment). The two specialty restaurants -- Polo Grill and Toscana -- provide a wonderful diversion from the gorgeous Grand Dining Room. Waves Grill has fabulous burgers, grilled fish, and other specialty sandwiches. And the Terrace has one of the best buffets in the industry, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The "high tea" is a throwback to the glory days of cruising, with wonderful scones, finger sandwiches, and a string quartet to entertain while enjoying a wide selection of teas.

We love the dress code - country club casual. Entertainment is low-key but enjoyable, with a good variety (magician, featured vocalist, classical musician, etc). There are numerous on-board activities, including bingo, trivia, bridge, computer lessons, etc. The library is gorgeous and well-stocked.

Finally, the crew, from the captain on down, is the most professional and friendly of any line we've sailed on. They continually strive to provide the passengers with the ultimate in service.

We're booked on the Rio to Barcelona cruise you're considering, and I hope we see you on board. I can pretty much guarantee -- you, too, will be hooked on "O".

Mike

Thanks Mike! We're in our mid 40's, son is grown, so we're not looking for rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, or roving bands of teenagers! What I am looking for is a lot of what you have given me. Although their site is great, it just seems unclear to me about their dress codes, etc. I would be glad not pack any formals when travelling across the pond! I am stuck on this itinerary and I am hopeful that some cabins will be released closer to sailing. One can always hope:rolleyes:! Hopefully we will get the opportunity to meet on this one!

Forgot to mention - no "cutesy" towel animals, and no shipboard photographers in your face - works for us, but some folks who are used to mass-market cruising might miss these things.

Mike

No towel animals!? That's it, I am not going! I hate the photographers! We get many dirty looks when we brush past them and say "no photos". We have been sailing Celebrity for the past 5 years so I thought I would take RCI once again for a change.....Good or bad, we'll still be cruising, but I'd like to do something different either later this year or early next. We'll se what is in store for us!

Mike...Thanks so much for your description of Oceania's Shipboard Life...

We've been HAL cruisers for a long time & enjoy the smaller ships...We with our very good Friends, decided to try Oceania's "Regatta" next Nov... Your post is getting me very excited about our cruise..

Only problem is DH says I have to cut back on shoes (9 pairs) & clothing..:( I figure if he doesn't need a TUX, Suit or Formal Patent Leather Shoes that will leave more room for me! Don't you agree?

It's 38 weeks till "D" day but who's counting..;) Betty

I definitely agree with you Betty! If you don't have any formal wear, what does an extra pair of shoes weigh! Please let me know your experience even if it is quite a number of weeks away. I don't doubt that it's "worth it", I just would like to hear what everyone thinks!

mikebrill,

I too am booked on the 2008 rio to barcelona trip. And I too live in Palm Springs. We may even have talked on the phone once, not sure. Anyway, this will be my first Oceania cruise and I am looking forward to it. We are dedicated Seabourn and Silversea (less so) sailors and I can't wait to try this line. For us it's a perfect itinerary as it will give us the chance to go back and explore South America before and do some of Spain after.

Hope to see everyone aboard.

Forgot to mention - no "cutesy" towel animals, and no shipboard photographers in your face - works for us, but some folks who are used to mass-market cruising might miss these things.

Mike

I absolutely hate towel animals and feel that it is such a waste of time for the cabin attendants to have to make them up each night. We first saw them on Princess and I was so pleased that HAL didn't have them. It didn't last long as HAL introduced them in 2005. What a wonderful relief not to have to see them on our 35 day cruise next April.;)

Also, I abhor the photographers trying to take a photo of you at every opportunity. That is another big plus for this wonderful cruise line. :)

Jennie

I absolutely hate towel animals and feel that it is such a waste of time for the cabin attendants to have to make them up each night. We first saw them on Princess and I was so pleased that HAL didn't have them. It didn't last long as HAL introduced them in 2005. What a wonderful relief not to have to see them on our 35 day cruise next April.;)

Also, I abhor the photographers trying to take a photo of you at every opportunity. That is another big plus for this wonderful cruise line. :)

Jennie

I guess you just never know when the towel figures will appear. We did not have single one on Grand Princess last week. We did have a great cruise on that large ship. Looking forward to the small ship experience next.

One question about the lounge/showroom entertainament. How is it scheduled? Are there multiple shows? Just one start time and you come and go as you like?

thanks.

Purple Cow,

Thanks for that information. We do like going to the shows and 9.45pm is a good time for us as we like to have dinner between 7pm-7.30pm. We also love the Liars Club. We had a hilarious one when we were on the Pacific Princess in January. It was good fun!

Jennie

Please tell me about Oceania. Having 35+ cruises under my belt, I always salivate when I see their ads and specials! I remember when ships were small and I yearn for that experience again! Thinking about the 3/10/08 sailing of the Insignia from Rio to

I really recommend Oceania.I sailed on Nautica on the Christmas /New Years cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong and it was outstanding. It was the happiest ship I had ever sailed on from the Captain right down to the lowest ranking crew member. Being a smaller ship (680 passengers) there were no waits anywhere and we were always able to get a table on time at any of the restaaurants. There was no extra charge for the two specialty restauants and the cuisine was the best that we have ever encountered. It has a great library that is open twenty four hours and an honor system for taking out books which include all the latest bestsellers. Tha spa is as good as you will find in a first class hotel, there is an additional fee but it is well worth it to enjoy the steam room and virtually private whirlpool under the stars. I see Nautica is due to sail again this year on the same date (December 22nd) this time going the other way to Australia. I am very tempted to sail on her again, but I better hurry up as Nautica sells out well in advance. The Price? You will pay a little more but you get a lot more.

Aloha

Hawaian Eagle

Usually don't see folks from New Mexico on this board. You will love Oceania! We're "doing" Buenos Aires to Valpariso in December on the Nautica. Can't wait. It's a world apart from the others we've done which are Celebrity, RC, and Princess. We had one of the aft cabins that faced the back for the first time. We loved that too.

One more thing I love about Oceania- the photography in their brochures.A couple of years ago there was a picture of cherry blossoms over a greek ruin that was beautiful enough to make me sign up for the cruise. I got a mini brochure today and again, the pictures really fire my imagination. I don't know who does it, but they deserve a pat on the back. I also liked the passengers pictured in the latest mini-brochure, wearing t-shirts and shorts instead of the usual Ralph Lauren yacht wear.

I am offering you my opinion so you can have a different point of view. You can read my review of Nautica on the ship review if you want. That said, sister in law and I took an Athens-Rome cruise last May and thought the staff in the dining rooms and cabins were super. We thought the ship was gaudy and tacky (ugly brocades, flocked wallpaper, fake gold, etc.). The concierge and the shore excursion folks were useless - they weren't interested in independent travellers at all. The library was okay except there was not a single tour book for the med - all from Asia (!). The shore excursions were so overpriced it was sad - folks started bailing early in the cruise and many were cancelled as a result. The ship didn't ride the rough seas all that well so you might want to bear that in mind. I do not consider a ship with a 700 pax capacity to be a small ship - that is big to me (Windstar, Cruise West, etc. my choice). The entertainment was lame at best. We did, however, like having a laundry and the fact that we didn't have to dress up for dinner and the big comfy sofas/chairs up by the pool in the shade. The spa was no different from any other which uses the Elemis (sp?) products - pricey and buy, buy, buy. Having said all the above, I urge you to try this ship if you have never cruised on anything but the leviathans - you will understand why a niche exists for a more casual and less regimented approach to cruising.

The concierge and the shore excursion folks were useless - they weren't interested in independent travellers at all.

Thankfully, we had just the opposite experience on our Nautica Southeast Asia cruise (February 2007). Bruno went out of his way to assist passengers, and he was constantly interfacing with them. He has greatly assisted us in the past as well. For example, when we disembarked the Nautica in Hong Kong in April, 2007, he coordinated with the Intercontinental Hotel, so that we could store our luggage there for the day, have them provide a driver and tour guide, and make early reservations at their wonderful Spoons restaurant. And the shore excursion folks were constantly helpful. We almost always do independent touring, and they provided us with comprehensive information so that we could maximize our time on shore - always with a small and "can do" attitude.

Mike

Usually don't see folks from New Mexico on this board. You will love Oceania! We're "doing" Buenos Aires to Valpariso in December on the Nautica. Can't wait. It's a world apart from the others we've done which are Celebrity, RC, and Princess. We had one of the aft cabins that faced the back for the first time. We loved that too.

Oh my! We just moved from California in November! Sort of a semi-retirement for us! So far, so good, although we have had to adjust to the slow pace a bit! There is good and bad in everything and I thank everyone for their opinions! I will read the reviews and a bid wave to Ruidoso!:D

Here's the review I just posted. Hope it helps. By the way, we're already booked the March 10th 2008 crossing.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=26421

Thanks for the very informative review Nitrodog.

We are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise on the Regatta in November and even though I've been reading everything I can find, you managed to touch on a few areas that I had not previously read about.

NO SMOKING policy strictly enforced aboard Oceania ships. I saw a few sad smokers who were relegated to smokers sin bin but it was soooooo nice not to have stench of smoke on clothes, cabin bedding, etc. Captain told us on first day that he'd put you ashore if you violate the rule.

By the by, Bruno was not concierge - ours was some blonde guy and if he isn't gone, he needs to be on his way.

Now, don't be alarmed but spouse and I are doing a repositioning cruise later this year on Regatta - plan to do nothing and I am very good at that. Know what to expect so won't be disappointed/irritated and since shore excursions are virtually non-existent I won't have that to fret over!

We have done transatlantic on little Windstar ships so this should be interesting.

Excellent review, Nitrodog. Do you recall the Captain's name? We're friends with Dimitrous Flokos, and I think he was your captain. He's really a top-notch guy and incredibly capable captain!

Mike

Archived