Tell me about Oceania!

julieanne

Dear CruseKrazy,

Oceania only has two areas on the ship where smoking is allowed -- a small area on the pool deck and a small area in Horizons. That's it!!! There is no other ship in service at this time which has a restricted policy like Oceania. I would strongly advise you to let your friends know this before they book the cruise.

Have a great time!!!

Sheila

An interesting side note to this discussion is, when the Hotel Manager called my Travelmate in to warn him about smoking on the veranda, he cited Princess and showed us a picture of their burnt ship. At that point, my companion turn to him and said 'but Princess still allows smoking'. The real issue here is that Oceania and their passengers do not like smokers. When the ships were R-branded (same management) they were entirely non-smoking ships. And yes, I too met some lovely people in the smoking areas, but did not enjoy being treated as a second class passenger and will take my business elsewhere.

An interesting side note to this discussion is, when the Hotel Manager called my Travelmate in to warn him about smoking on the veranda, he cited Princess and showed us a picture of their burnt ship. At that point, my companion turn to him and said 'but Princess still allows smoking'. The real issue here is that Oceania and their passengers do not like smokers. When the ships were R-branded (same management) they were entirely non-smoking ships. And yes, I too met some lovely people in the smoking areas, but did not enjoy being treated as a second class passenger and will take my business elsewhere.

I am a little confused by this post. Because Princess continues to allow smoking does not mean it is safe or the correct thing to do. I believe O is attempting to protect the safety of many, over the wants of a few. If Oceania loses some customers due to this policy, it appears they are ok with that. I know the majority of non-smokers truly appreciate this rule, and makes the cruise line all the more appealing. Certainly one of the reasons I chose Oceania and a Verendah room.

But safety should be paramount. And I believe other cruise lines are putting profits ahead of safety when it comes to smoking.

I am a smoker and while there were times I thought how nice it would be to sit on the verandah with a drink and have a smoke, even I am thankful that Oceania Cruises restricts where one can smoke. Even though I smoke, I hate the smell and when I am on the verandah, I'd rather smell the salty sea air than cigarette smoke.

It's not that big of a deal to go to the pool area to have a smoke or, if I'm so inclined to have a drink and a smoke, I can go to Horizons. Oceania Cruises DOES cater to smokers and non smokers alike. They allow smoking while not annoying those who don't. Additionally, I don't have to worry about someone falling asleep in their beds, (those BEDS), with a cigarette still lit or flicking their cigarette off the balcony and causing a fire.

I think it's a brilliant way to solve the smoker/non smoker guest issue.

Last year I was in Alaska and I had a very rude smoker in the next stateroom on another line. My hobby is photography and during the glacier sailing she smoked non-stop and made it impossible to shoot the glacier - aside from the stench, the smoke was unbearable. I am throughly spoiled by sailing Regent, but, I am thrilled to be on a nearly-non-smoking sailing.

I understand your feelings, and apparently many agree. What I did not add was that my travel companion, an older Man, was thrown off Insignia after only one warning, for smoking on our veranda. Needless to say, he will never cruise with Oceania again. And, as a frequent solo traveler, O's lack of any break for singles makes this a couples only line. So, it's back to Crystal for me, where smokers and singles are welcome...

Caliber 35--Was your companion thrown off the November 24, 06 sailing, and were you on the 8th level? If it's the case we heard about, he was

not thrown off for smoking but rather for what he liked to do in the men's sauna!!!!

One very big reason we are now booking Oceania despite being Elite on Princess is indeed Oceanias strict no smoking policy in staterooms and verandahs

we were on Golden Princess B2B 37 days New Orleans to Buenos Aries via Antartica

Our 1st leg was great with non smokers all around us

2nd leg out of Rio the cabin next door changed to 2 suposedly highly intelligent 4o ish yr old North Americans

He smoked a pipe and she smoked cigars non stop on the verandah

Princess did eventually move us to another verandah cabin but not until we had been made to feel nasty for daring to complain that we were unable to enjoy a verandah we had booked especially for entire ship over a year earlier

Princess should indeed have banned smoking after the Star fire instead they have spent millions on verandah sprinklers and to hell with the health concerns of non smokers

Just wondering how many warnings about the smoking policy Caliber35 thinks would be appropriate? If my travel companion deliberately disregarded a warning and got thrown off the ship, my anger would be directed toward him, not Oceania. Aren't we supposed to be adults?

They should have just garroted him and thrown the body overboard... what about the brig? Isn't there supposed to be a brig? If smoking doesn't get you put in irons in the brig, what the heck does? Arrrggggg matey!

:D

Archived