Tell me about Oceania!

julieanne

Adam of....

Which points are you referring to? I can try to answer any other questions you might have as well.

mikebrill,

I don't remember his name but he was a big man sporting a great beard. We chatted on the pier in Dominica while I was waiting for my dive buddy to arrive.

Excellent review, Nitrodog. Do you recall the Captain's name? We're friends with Dimitrous Flokos,

Mike

Capt Flokos left Jan 28th to go home to Greece for his time off.

His replacement was from Norway but I cannot recall his name

As your "neighbours "in Montreal, I was looking forward to your report.

We did a similar cruise after New Years.

My husband & I totally agree with everything you said.

As we know--the restaurants in Montreal are fantastic.

The food on Oceania was just as good.

We are booked already for Jan 2nd.

It's our favorite line so far.

We just returned from our 1st Crystal cruise on Sunday, & found Oceania to be more to our liking!

Can't wait to get on board again!

Nitrodog..Wonderful review! Thanks for sharing it with us..:)

How long was your cruise? Was it long enough for you to do laundry on board?

We're only planning on taking enough clothing changes for 14 days for our 26 day cruise...Had hoped that "Regatta" would offer a set price on a bag of Laundry as HAL does, so I would not have to do laundry 1/2 way through our cruise..Perhaps it will be best to do our laundry on a Port day..

Would anyone know if Oceania shuts down the laundry while in the Amazon River? On our last cruise to the Amazon they did shut down all laundry service, due to water conditions..

Can't wait to board the Regatta in Nov. to the Amazon..:) Betty

We're only planning on taking enough clothing changes for 14 days for our 26 day cruise...Had hoped that "Regatta" would offer a set price on a bag of Laundry as HAL does, so I would not have to do laundry 1/2 way through our cruise..Perhaps it will be best to do our laundry on a Port day..

we did 32 days and had to do laundry twice plus "my dainties" I did in the sink.

We found ports days later in the day was a good time just don't go early in the morning they are lined up.

DH got there at 2 minutes after they opened at 7:30 and all the machines were full.

I too wish O would do a "BAG SPECIAL" part way through the cruise.;)

we did 32 days and had to do laundry twice plus "my dainties" I did in the sink.

We found ports days later in the day was a good time just don't go early in the morning they are lined up.

DH got there at 2 minutes after they opened at 7:30 and all the machines were full.

I too wish O would do a "BAG SPECIAL" part way through the cruise.

Thanks for the heads up..Will plan to do laundry late in afternoon on Port days..Maybe between now & Nov. Oceania will consider "laundry by the bag" specials;) ..Many folks have mentioned this on these boards..

In any event I'll be happy not having to cook & clean..:) Betty

This of course is my husband's & my opinion of why we prefer Oceania.

Let me start by saying that we had a wonderful time on the Crystal Symphony, but ther are a few things that we prefer on Oceania.

Smaller ship.

Anytime dining.

No formal nights---Crystal passengers are very dressed up. More than I have seen on our previous 45 cruises.We got a kick watching the 4 "host" male dancers, dance with the single ladies( who always sat in the first row in the same seats).

We found the food better on "O". The breakfast buffet & lunch on both ships serve excellent high quality food.

However the dining room meals were just OK, on Crystal. The meats was never cooked "medium rare" as requested.

Once, I ordered a filet & got sirloin.They always offer to change it, but by then, everyone else at the table is finished.

The table settings(dishes & crystal) are much more chic on "O".

It is true that the entertainment is better on Crystal.

Also there are on board credits from the TA & credit card companies that make Crystal an almost all inclusive.Lots of free drinks too.

Our cabin stewardess got our daily requested ice order right on day 4 of a 7 day cruise.

This can happen on any line though.

Little things--but I am comparing the 2 lines.

We will certainly cruise Crystal again, as the overall package is excellent.

Our next Oceania is on Jan 2nd 2008.

In may, we will do a river cruise( our 1st time) from Amsterdamm to Budapest.

I am offering you my opinion so you can have a different point of view. You can read my review of Nautica on the ship review if you want. That said, sister in law and I took an Athens-Rome cruise last May and thought the staff in the dining rooms and cabins were super. We thought the ship was gaudy and tacky (ugly brocades, flocked wallpaper, fake gold, etc.). The concierge and the shore excursion folks were useless - they weren't interested in independent travellers at all. The library was okay except there was not a single tour book for the med - all from Asia (!). The shore excursions were so overpriced it was sad - folks started bailing early in the cruise and many were cancelled as a result. The ship didn't ride the rough seas all that well so you might want to bear that in mind. I do not consider a ship with a 700 pax capacity to be a small ship - that is big to me (Windstar, Cruise West, etc. my choice). The entertainment was lame at best. We did, however, like having a laundry and the fact that we didn't have to dress up for dinner and the big comfy sofas/chairs up by the pool in the shade. The spa was no different from any other which uses the Elemis (sp?) products - pricey and buy, buy, buy. Having said all the above, I urge you to try this ship if you have never cruised on anything but the leviathans - you will understand why a niche exists for a more casual and less regimented approach to cruising.

I also was perplexed with the term "small ship" - 700 seems like WAY too many for me. I also thought that the decor was gaudy. I was a real Cruise West fan, but then I found SeaDream - and that is the best of both worlds. Several steps above Windstar, but relaxed, casual and fun.

We have only done one RSSC cruise, but found the food bland. Usually I have a hard time choosing what to have, on that ship nothing sounded too great. Halfway through the cruise we were asked to fill out a comment card, which I did, mentioning the bland food. The next morning at 8 I got a call from the irate chef asking how I would like him to change his kitchen, as I was unhappy with his food. From then on, every dinner we had servers fawning over us, asking after every bite, 'is it OK?". Irritating. So I guess our view of RSSC is slanted. We also had a huge number of very elderly cruisers, many of whom required walkers. Buffet lines ran like molasses.

We did like SeaDream, but found it a little too small for us- if you make the acquantaince of someone you find you would just as soon avoid, there is no place to hide except your stateroom.

Oceania is our favorite line so far.

Here's the review I just posted. Hope it helps. By the way, we're already booked the March 10th 2008 crossing.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=26421

I have just finished reading your very detailed review. It covers just about everything and we are so looking forward to April next year when we board the Nautica for our 35 day cruise.

Jennie

Interested in hybrn8's and surfklutz's remarks about ship size. I thought 700 would be too big as well when I sailed Regent Voyager last summer but it never felt that way at all.

A couple of months ago I compared Regent Voyager to Oceania Regatta in terms of size, but I didn't really know how to interpret this, then found an old post on the Regent board by Dolebludger that said this:

"The old Ren ships had a much less advantageous passenger to space ratio than anything Radisson has sailed. In other words, they had way too many guests for the over-all size of the ship to meet Radisson standards --- and still do. They are way too crowded. "

Here are the stats I posted:

Regatta: 30,277 tons, 592 ft. long, 410 crew, 684 pax

Voyager: 46,000 tons, 670 ft. long, 447 crew, 700 pax

By the way, Merryecho, which ship did were you on, and ship itinerary? Your food experience sounds pretty unusual to me, for Regent.

Just my comment on the topic!

If you are use to sailing the larger mass market cruiselines then YES Oceania is a "small ship"

If you are use to sailing the lines like Cruise West, Seadream etc with less than 100 passengers then Oceania in NOT a small ship.

It is all relative to what your use to.

The same goes for food...you can have 100 people sit down & have the same meal but they all have different opinions as to the quality and quanity of the food served.

It is so nice to have choices in life!

I am taking the April 18 Athens to Rome cruise and was wondering about whether or not the seas are usually rough in that area at that time. I read what hybrn said about the boat not taking the rough seas well and was wondering about other cruisers experience .

Also, any suggestions on the best sea sickness anectdotes?

Thanks.........:)

Thanks for a great review Nitrodog. We are looking at Regatta January 2008 LA to MIA - final decision yet to be made but it is looking serious.

So far we cannot see any PH suites available so we are looking at concierge. As a fellow canuck (transplanted from UK many years back) your time and trouble on the review is much appreciated Thanks again. Merci!:cool:

So far we cannot see any PH suites available so we are looking at concierge.

You could always ask to be waitlisted for PH.

The Canal cruise was amazing. the locks are not a interesting as some on the Trent system here but still a wonder.

Understand what you are saying about the locks LHT28 - in the days when we were into boating (32 ft is a bit smaller than ANY cruise ship we have been on) we "did" the Trent/Severn system both directions from Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay. A few of the locks are a bit daunting and when approaching the lift locks (to come down) , "the boss" said not a problem unless we are first on and are looking over the drop - you guessed it :eek:- we were always the first on and very carefully made sure we stopped well before the end! We were on the Ryndam through the Panama a few years back and we need to do it again but this time with a more sociable Captain. Suite life on HAL sure pampered us but the first Hamburger in a while (at their private island) sure tasted good! We felt like teenagers compared to the average passenger on that one!

Yes, Nitrodog, that is what we will be doing. We were on phone last night to our TA - who just happens to be our daughter (used to be our manager in the days when we had an agency as one of our enterprises - 9/11 got in the way of that one:mad:) and we will waitlist for a PH. They look larger and have full bath which is nice - not to mention the butler.

I was comparing to the new Celebrity Quest which is doing a similar itinerary but 2 days shorter and using Acupolco as the west turnaround spot. Cost was not much in it on a daily rate basis (allowing for air differential) and of course it is the same style of refurbished "R" ship. Another upside on Oceania is we could spend a couple of days in LA. Overall my inclination is to try Oceania - seeing how fast the sell out there has to be a very loyal group of passengers.

Any idea how much credit one would recieve if air was refused? Tried to do a second run on "My Cruise Planner" but that part of the system appears to be down.:confused:

Any idea how much credit one would recieve if air was refused? Tried to do a second run on "My Cruise Planner" but that part of the system appears to be down.:confused:

Diana & Colin,

Welcome to the cruise. This will be our first Oceania cruise also and my wife and I are looking forward to it with great anticipation.

If you decline the "free" air option, you will receive a total credit of $429 per person. I assume you would be traveling from Tampa. I'm not sure if the credit would be different if you traveled to and from your home in Canada. The total credit is comprised of a $250 air credit plus $179 in air taxes, fuel surcharges and ticketing fees you would have to pay if you took the included air.

Archived