Tell me about Oceania!

julieanne

Thankyou very much DaveFR - you must be an early riser to respond this early from the West Coast!

I'm sitting here looking at snow - at least it is only on the ground today though more expected tomorrow - from my office window - don't mind too much as we come back here to make the money so we can go cruising again! This is the only time I love taxes!

Thanks again - CC members really are helpful!:)

Reunion- We did Athens to Istanbul last spring- weather was about what you would expect, pleasant days, cool nights, a bit windy. Seas did get a little bouncy. I get very seasick and will not cruise without phenergan. Get it from your doctor before you go. For me it has no side effects other than making me a carefree cruiser. It is what a doctor on board will give you in shot form, but at $75.

Re: airfare- on this summer's cruise we received an $800 airfare credit for Seattle to Athens.

Diana & Colin,

If you decline the "free" air option, you will receive a total credit of $429 per person. I assume you would be traveling from Tampa. I'm not sure if the credit would be different if you traveled to and from your home in Canada. .

HMMM

We got $250. pp

Oceania Cruises truly provides a taste of luxury at affordable prices. That said, it is not a true luxury line as in Crystal or Regent. The cusine is not any better than what I have had on Celebrity. The cabins are small, unless you have a Penthouse or higher. The beds are the best I've slept on onboard a ship. Service was very good, crew very attentive and professional, but I must disagree about the fellow passengers. Perhaps it was just my sailing, but I encountered some the rudest people on Oceania of any of 25 cruises I have taken. And, if you enjoy smoking, be aware that this line is militantly anti-smoking. For me it was a mixed bag of a nice, smaller ship with good food and service, but far from the excellence I have experienced on Crystal.

I must disagree about the fellow passengers. Perhaps it was just my sailing, but I encountered some the rudest people on Oceania of any of 25 cruises I have taken. .

Having sailed on 4 Oceania cruises in the past two years, we've experienced the total opposite, and I can't help but agree that it was just your sailing - a true aberration.

Mike

HMMM

We got $250. pp

Lyn,

It's true that you received a credit of $250 off the base fare of your Panama Canal cruise. However, what you're missing is the fact that had you chosen to take the "free" air option, you would have been charged an additional $179 for air taxes, fuel surcharges and ticketing fees. Thus, the total savings or credit for not taking "free" air is $250 + $179 = $429.

Here are the figures for an A1 cabin for the January 28, 2008 Panama Canal cruise:

With free air:

4399 (fare) + 304 (govt fees & taxes) + 179 (air taxes, etc) =$4882

without free air:

4149 (fare) + 304 (govt fees & taxes) = $4453

The difference is $429 which is the total savings or credit from not taking the "free" air option.

Lyn,

It's true that you received a credit of $250 off the base fare of your Panama Canal cruise. However, what you're missing is the fact that had you chosen to take the "free" air option, you would have been charged an additional $179 for air taxes, fuel surcharges and ticketing fees. Thus, the total savings or credit for not taking "free" air is $250 + $179 = $429.

Thanks the the explanation

On the invoice the passenger only sees the $250. air credit as you don't usually see the taxes etc spelled out - the $179.

just the total taxes on the cruise price.

An agent might see the difference

:):)Booking was made this morning for the January 28 Panama Canal cruise.

After all the advice and answered questions (MANY thanks to all fellow CC members:D) we have managed to snag without air a Penthouse PH3 guarantee! We realise this may mean we get any PH suite and will probably not know which one till much later but at least it will be a PH.

The Oceania site showed no availability but my marvellous TA came through! She had better be marvellous or we will disinherit our daughter (same person) sometimes it is who you know not what you know;)

Now all I have to do is to find the dollars to pay for it:eek:

:):)Booking was made this morning for the January 28 Panama Canal cruise.

After all the advice and answered questions (MANY thanks to all fellow CC members:D) we have managed to snag without air a Penthouse PH3 guarantee! We realise this may mean we get any PH suite and will probably not know which one till much later but at least it will be a PH.

They are all good! ;)

One good thing ..you will not have to fight the crowd at the front to see the canal!

Enjoy the cruise.

Lyn

It is true t it probably was just your saling. As for the smoking, that's why so many of us sail on O. They don't try to encourage smokers and that makes the non-smokers like us very happy.:)

I understand your feelings, and apparently many agree. What I did not add was that my travel companion, an older Man, was thrown off Insignia after only one warning, for smoking on our veranda. Needless to say, he will never cruise with Oceania again. And, as a frequent solo traveler, O's lack of any break for singles makes this a couples only line. So, it's back to Crystal for me, where smokers and singles are welcome...

I understand your feelings, and apparently many agree. What I did not add was that my travel companion, an older Man, was thrown off Insignia after only one warning, for smoking on our veranda.

It is too bad that your companion chose not read/obey the rules on the smoking policies of Oceania.

I am glad that Oceania enforces it rules on smoking in the cabins/balconies ..it is too bad other lines do not do the same.

Just wondering how many warnings about the smoking policy Caliber35 thinks would be appropriate? If my travel companion deliberately disregarded a warning and got thrown off the ship, my anger would be directed toward him, not Oceania. Aren't we supposed to be adults?

So happy to hear that Oceania is actually "throwing someone off the ship" for smoking on their veranda. We were aboard the Nautica when word came that there was a disastrous fire on the Princess which apparently started on a veranda. Oceania responded that they would be giving notices to ALL passengers upon embarkation officially giving everyone the smoking RULES. Too bad for Caliber35 that his friend refused to abide.

Sheila

Oceania is adamant about the non smoking rules..it is amazing that people go on a cruise and think they can flaunt the rules..I tell ALL of my clients dont even smoke once or there will be nothing anyone can do to help you..

Jan

Being an ex-smoker after too many years of "smelly clothes and dirty pockets" (any pipe smoker would understand that one) and being squeaky clean for well over a dozen years I can claim almost religious fanatacism about smoking - if I can do it anyone can quit!

Having vented about that let me add that quitting smoking is probably one of the hardest, if not THE hardest thing, that one can do and I congratulate anyone who can do it and stop acting like they are in control and not the weed controlling them!

Well done Oceania for enforcing the no-smoking policy. Even my smoker son has complained about chain smoking smokers on adjoining balconies wrecking his families cruise pleasure.

The recent action of the Marriott hotel chain in making all their hotels smoke free has reinforced our favouring that group for our requirements wherever possible. They WILL charge guests $250 (I think thats the number) if they smoke in the room! They, like Oceania, may lose a few diehards (word chosen intentionally!) but I wager the savings from no cigarette burns in the furniture and bedding etc. (not to mention the fire risk) more than compensate!

Three cheers for Oceania (and Marriott).:cool:

I understand your feelings, and apparently many agree. What I did not add was that my travel companion, an older Man, was thrown off Insignia after only one warning, for smoking on our veranda. Needless to say, he will never cruise with Oceania again. And, as a frequent solo traveler, O's lack of any break for singles makes this a couples only line. So, it's back to Crystal for me, where smokers and singles are welcome...

Thanks for this info. This could be a deal breaker. Personally I don't smoke and am married. However the group cruise I am trying to arrange contains some influential group members who are single and smokers. Will now take a look at Crystal. This could cost Oceania 30 plus fairs if it's true.

Dave

Thanks for this info. This could be a deal breaker. Personally I don't smoke and am married. However the group cruise I am trying to arrange contains some influential group members who are single and smokers. Will now take a look at Crystal. This could cost Oceania 30 plus fairs if it's true.

Dave

I have heard Crystal is very nice! :)

Enjoy your cruise

Just wondering how many warnings about the smoking policy Caliber35 thinks would be appropriate? If my travel companion deliberately disregarded a warning and got thrown off the ship, my anger would be directed toward him, not Oceania. Aren't we supposed to be adults?

Believe me, I was angry with my travel companion, not Oceania. He behaved like the rules did not apply to him. I am a smoker, and did not find the need to smoke in our cabin, but he did and suffered the consequences. The Officers involved were more than fair, and very professional in the way they handled the situation. In fact, they were very nice towards me and went out of their way to accomodate me after his departure. He left me with my own private Penthouse Suite for the second half of the cruise, which I thoroughly enjoyed! The bottom line is that if you like to sail solo, and enjoy smoking, Oceania is probably not for you.

Dear caliber35,

So glad your cruise worked out fine for you -- you had a PH all to yourself for half the cruise. We had a man smoking a cigar on his OS veranda when we did the Beijing to Hong Kong cruise in March 2006. When I saw him smoking, I called the front desk and it didn't take three minutes before someone was in my cabin checking out the veranda below our aft cabin. I heard him complain on the bus into downtown Kobe the next day how upset he was that he couldn't smoke on HIS veranda. Rules are rules and Oceania is sailing fully booked on most of their cruises with long wait lists.

Sheila

Upon further research, looks like it is standard cruise industry practice to restrict smoking to designated areas for fire safety reasons.

If someone flaunts known smoking rules to the risk of other people on the whole ship, I support strong sanctions. Will be very likely booking our group on Oceania - safety first! :cool:

I wouldn't say that Oceania is not the ship for smokers. I was a smoker this last Fall and cruised from Barcelona to Venice. Sure it was a slight inconvenience to go to the pool deck to smoke but the plus, and it was an enormous plus, I met some folks I probably wouldn't have met otherwise. We met to chat and puff each day and no they weren't the scourge of the earth as many non smokers would portray. I am now a non-smoker but I will always on future cruises go to the smoking area to visit because of my good experiences. My two cents and I realize I open myself to cross fire. Bad choice of words. Jule

Archived