Booked Eurodam Inaugural cabin today!

cruznon

[quote name='sailaway5']I'll look forward to a great review and pictures ...[/quote]
With all the CCers going on this cruise, (I believe over 40 already) this should be one of the most well-documented sailings in HAL's history!

[quote name='Bill S'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]DW has accused me of booking HAL cruises just to meet CCers--guilty as charged, but she is excited, too! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I've done it more than once! And never regretted it, either. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Welcome to our jolly litte group. But refresh my memory, will you? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Didn't you have a little problem on an Alaska cruise a few years back? Something about going dead in the water a few hours after sail-away? :confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]And wasn't there another problem on another cruise of yours? :confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]And don't things happen in threes? :eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Or am I confusing you with someone else? :o [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='travelingfast']I'm new to all this, but I have one question. It seems like a person could take 2 or 3 cruises for the price that some will be paying for this inaugural. Is it the itinerary, the inaugural, or what that is your reason for wanting to go on this cruise? I have been reading this thread and some people say the air fare alone is $1500, plus hotels being $1300. I'm just curious -- is it worth it, and what makes it worth it? It sounds like most people will be spending around $10,000 just for this one cruise. The itinerary, in my opinion, would be great, but I can't help thinking that this is an awful lot of expense. I guess I'm trying to decide if maybe I should be going.[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]Our TA did get us (and some other CCers) a nice savings.

The hotel cost you cited was an example of how much one [I]could[/I] pay for a room - [B][U]IF[/U][/B] one so desired. Someone had asked about additional expenses and CCers were pointing out that there isn't any way for us to say - as each of us has different standards/tastes. We'll probably stay at a nice hotel in Copenhagen in the $200-250/night range. I have NO doubt that others will pay more and still others will pay less at the hotels of their choosing.

The air cost you stated seems a bit high. Current costs from our home town (not a major airport) are several $100 less pp than that. We may use FFmiles, but I still looked at air costs just in case we don't.

Will we spend $10,000? - NO and we even have a verandah cabin. We'd save about $1000/pp by getting an inside - or save a bit less by getting a regular outside cabin.

We're REALLY loking forward to this cruise, but everyone has to decide what works for them.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Bill S'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] . . . . . then join 'em!!!!!! That's what we did today! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]This looked like too much fun to pass up, so we booked it. Our TA said she is going to a presentation on Thursday about the Eurodam, so maybe she will share some information with us! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]DW has accused me of booking HAL cruises just to meet CCers--guilty as charged, but she is excited, too! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

That's why I booked this cruise, too!:rolleyes:

I'm curious, does anyone have any extremely tiny glimmer of a doubt that HAL will actually have the ship ready by 5 July? Has this ever happened to HAL? I've read in the past where occasionally a cruise line won't have a new ship ready in time for its inaugural trip.

I'm curious, does anyone have any extremely tiny glimmer of a doubt that HAL will actually have the ship ready by 5 July? Has this ever happened to HAL? I've read in the past where occasionally a cruise line won't have a new ship ready in time for its inaugural trip.

I have very little doubt that it will be ready. It's not an entirely new design or anything in the way of a major difference from the Vista class ships, so there shouldn't be an unforeseen reason that it won't be ready on time.

Now, if there were a problem that did delay the Inaugural Voyage I expect there would be some bennies to make up for my disappointment. :) I can live with that.

There's always a risk to everything. Living is a risk. Sure it could happen....... BUT let's not even dream of thinking like that!!!

I believe Rotterdam VI may have been delivered late but I think she was the last HAL ship to have a delayed delivery........

Except maybe Zuiderdam? Wasn't her delivery date moved ahead some months out? I could be mistaken but I have a niggling idea in the back of my mind that months in advance they announced she'd be delayed a little.

I believe Rotterdam VI may have been delivered late but I think she was the last HAL ship to have a delayed delivery........

Except maybe Zuiderdam?

Correct; both were late. The commonality is that they were both first in their class.

Fire during construction is always a danger and can cause delays (Diamond/Sapphire Princess comes to mind) HAL's Westerdam caught fire during her construction in Fincantieri's Marghera's (Venice) yard. To Fincantieri's (it's workers) credit, that did not cause a delay in her construction and acceptance!:) Here's hoping to no mishaps during Eurodam's construction and here's to Marghera's Vigili del Fuoco for not letting it happen!

Fire during construction is always a danger and can cause delays

So are locusts, boils, frogs, rivers of blood, hail..... Oh wait, those were biblical plagues. Let's see, in today's world we could have worker strikes, flooding in Venice ;) , material not arriving on schedule, all kinds of things.

I don't think HAL would have set an Inaugural Voyage date eighteen months out if they weren't sure they couldn't have the ship at the dock on that day ready to accept pax. We're willing put money on it. Oh wait. We did. :D

• 6 years later...

So do I, Mary, but I can't figure out why someone would drag it up six years later. But now we're stuck with it on Page 1 until people say "enough is enough" and no longer post on it!

Cruise Critic really should not allow this to happen. On the other hand, that was an interesting time and had lots of "Good Nuts" on it that you and we have cruised with since that time!

Archived