Is Princess better than Celebrity?

terrierjohn

Just enjoyed our first cruise on Celebrity Millennium and now, as promised I need to compare it with Princess & P&O, our last three cruises. Difficult choice as each one has its plus points. For service I think Celebrity just has the edge, on food again I would give Celebrity the top ranking, as regards ship décor and style then probably Princess gets top marks mainly because of the Atrium, when it comes to ease of getting around the ship then Princess is well out on top, for friendliness of the staff I would give this to P&O, but as that cruise was 14 days you do get to know the staff better.

As regards negatives, for Celebrity it has to be those so called art photos along all the corridors, we had a large photo of a run down warehouse outside our cabin, on Arcadia it has to be the interior design, a bit like Hampton Court maze, as regards Princess it has to be the shower curtains.

Is there an overall winner, possibly Princess by a nose because of anytime dining but we have enjoyed traditional on our last two cruises, and it will also be traditional on our upcoming Tahitian Princess cruise. Final verdict dead heat Princess and Celebrity, but I would be happy to sail Arcadia again if the price was right.

Link to my review of Millennium:- http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=26631

As regards negatives, for Celebrity it has to be those so called art photos along all the corridors, we had a large photo of a run down warehouse outside our cabin

Celebrity definitely has the worst collection of crap that they refer to as an art collection of any cruise line that I have sailed with.

I have sailed Princess three times. Twice on the original Crown Princess and once on Sapphire. I have sailed Celebrity five times and have booked my sixth trip for July.

Hands down I prefer Celebrity. Better vibe. Better crew. I like that Celebrity feels like an Ocean Liner with lots of views of the sea. Princess has pretty but compartmentalized ships that leave me feeling that there is no center of activity. Crew members weren't as polished and the friendly stood out. Most were disinterested.

I would never cruise Princess again. They have horrible customer service.

preferable by FAR to the other line.

The service is definately more polished and less aloof and friendlier; the other line's crew are disinterested... mostly, except when they're not!

I gained 5 lbs. in a week on the better line the food was SO-O delicious and on the other line I only gained 4.8 lbs.

The decks plans and cabins are better on which one of the two? YOU guessed it - the better line!

So - if you can't tell, I prefer the Better line over the other line which I've been on numerous times until I determined the better was preferable.

There you have it!

But sometimes - once in a while - one of the line's itinerary I prefer better over the better line's itineraray. Then I suppose I have to go with the line I prefer over the one that's usually better.

I hope this helps. ;)

preferable by FAR to the other line.

The service is definately more polished and less aloof and friendlier; the other line's crew are disinterested... mostly, except when they're not!

I gained 5 lbs. in a week on the better line the food was SO-O delicious and on the other line I only gained 4.8 lbs.

The decks plans and cabins are better on which one of the two? YOU guessed it - the better line!

So - if you can't tell, I prefer the Better line over the other line which I've been on numerous times until I determined the better was preferable.

There you have it!

But sometimes - once in a while - one of the line's itinerary I prefer better over the better line's itineraray. Then I suppose I have to go with the line I prefer over the one that's usually better.

I hope this helps. ;)

What?

Superjerryw,

We just came off the Galaxy and my wife just spent her time walking around the ship saying, "I could have done that" We have never been impressed with the artwork of X

I like a lot of the artwork on Celebrity. At least they try to be creative. By being creative there are some duds but they take chances. Princess ships are very beautiful but it all very much the same from one Princess ship to another.

I like both cruise lines and each has it's good points. I have to say that Princess does have the best itineraries of the two lines.

All four of our Celebrity cruises were the most memorable. But I haven't been on an X ship in 5 years now and my last three cruises were on Sapphire Princess :o Those three were just as memorable and hopefully we'll be on another X ship in a couple of months to see if anything with X's service, food etc. has changed!!

Both my favorite lines!

Princess has more entertainment choices, has more seafood, their big ships have so many pools, that are open even at night. Also P enforces no kids in adult pools rule. Crew are great on both, may be on X is a bit more "white glove" in DR.

With most of the mainstream lines, I think it does come down to personal preference, and that the differences aren't HUGE, but some differences are more noticeable if that particular one is important to you.

For instance, I HATE the art on the Constellation, and I've said it many times. But the art has very little to do with my cruise experience, so I don't count it when I "rank" my favorite.

On the other hand, if they'd get rid of those "art" auctions, I'd look at a thousand dead weed sculptures, five hundred sculptures that look like they're clay-mation and made out of play-doh, and at least a hundred of those gorillas, and still be happy!:D blech!

Andrew

On Caribbean Princess there was not one regular art gallery, but several rooms of wonderful pieces of art... we loved going there just to watch it. :)

I love how shrimp cocktail was always on the menu!

I loved loved love watching movies on MUTS under cozy MUTS blanket!!!

Before going on Princess I was absolutely sure X was my #1.. Now as much as love going on Century again there will be things I'm going to miss.

We have been on two ships for comparison- Celebrity Zenith and Tahitian Princess. Although the service on the Zenith was very good, the Zenith was not in the same league as the Tahitian Princess on all counts- cabin, food, on board amenities.

Have also cruised on the Star Princess and Island Princess, but ships are too large to compare with Zenith. Will be better able to compare with our Constellation cruise

To me, questions like this get harder to answer all the time. Not all that long ago I could put together a list of what made one line better than the other and find members to agree with me on either side.

About that time there was a general feeling by a number of members that they were all gravitating towards a center position and that one day they would all be the same.

(Does anyone remember this besides me?)

I don't remember if I agreed with that at the time but maybe now I could be talked into it. It seems to me like Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Cunard (steerage) are neck and neck with Carnival and Norwegian right up there with them in many areas.

For example, we all know food is a really subjective topic with a wide difference in personal experiences but beds, for another example are not. Look how all of them have upgraded their bedding lately. I think you'd have to try hard to find a bad bed on any of those lines.

Anymore it seems like the deciding factors are itinerary, timing and maybe price....not so much "quality" or "value" as they ALL do a good job in their own way. Like mentioned above, they've all got their own little way of doing stuff that makes for a nice variety.

Still, the majority by a long shot of our most recent cruises have been Celebrity or Royal Caribbean and of those Celebrity is in the lead. But I'm also looking forward to a Princess cruise we have coming up in the fall. So I guess I am really of no help at all huh?

I agree but like HAL better than Celebrity overall. Princess is great too.

Donna

I've never been on HAL's smaller ships (70 and less), but their Vista ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam,Noordam and Westerdam) definitely don't provide better experience... In fact out of our all cruises including NCL and Carnival we had THE WORST and the slowest service in the DR, and our room hasn't been made 3 times during the same week until I called at 12:00 PM.:(

Leaving San Jaun, monday the 26 March, 2007 on the Galaxy for the second time. This will be the 5th X cruise, far superior than Princess, in fact we would put X above Silver Seas, which was absolutly horrible. Nothing about SS was better than Celebrity except the grill at the pool. Here every burger was individually grilled and brought to you by a waiter. These were the only people on board, who actually provided good service.

Archived