Serious Family Illness - Help!

PandJcritics

Hi there... we are set to leave on the Galaxy a week from Monday... just 11 days away. Unfortunately, my father is sick. We are waiting on results of a biopsy, and it does not look good. I, of course, cannot imagine going on a vacation while my father is ill/in the hospital/having surgery. We did not buy the travel insurance (we never do) and of course now I'm kicking myself. The money isn't a big deal. Family is more important. But if we have to cancel, do we lose everything?

I need some advice...

I've never had to do anything like this, so I don't know. Oh - we booked our flights seperately through Continental - in case anyone has had experience with that airline.

Thanks.

I really don't have any answers to your questions; but I just wanted to offer my sympathies to you and your family. Sometimes the anticipation and anxiety during this waiting period can be worse than the actual news itself. For your family's sake, I trust the outcome is better than expected.

Please know that the CC family is thinking of you.

With no insurance, I think you lose everything. You might be able to substitute in a different person to your booking but I think that only works for one person.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father.

You will lose everything if you cancel. Wait until the last minute before cancelling your cruise. You don't know what the results are yet. You don't know the prognosis or when and if surgery will be required. Don't jump the gun and overract.

I just went thru this recentlly my dad was diagnosed with cancer the beginning of last Oct. we had a cruise planed for late Oct. things seemed to be going ok but 2 days before the cruise he took a turn for the worse so needless to say we cancelled out at the last moment Thankfully we had insurance or we would have lost it all. He pulled out of it and he was in and out of the hospital for a few months and finally passed away this past Saturday I know what you will be going thru it won't be easy God bless and the best to you and your family.

If you cancel anytime between 8-29 days prior to sailing, you will get 50% back. So if I were you, I'd cancel now before you lose it all.

As far as Continental goes, sometimes they will give you a complete refund (with a doctor's note) or else they should allow you to cancel and use the tickets within a year.

Good luck and I hope everything works out well with your father.

Unfortunately you will lose everything.

Having been there and done that with two parents now, I say life has to go on and you should go on your trip. There could be months and months of emotional ups and downs here on out. You need that chance to refresh and regroup for what may come down the road.

Some may call it callous, but I make my peace with those close to me everyday should I or they perish unexpectedly. I would take the vacation as you may regret it should nothing serious happen while you are gone.

I wonder if X would let you transfer the payments to a future cruise?

Just a thought.

However, for the cost of insurance ( which is nothing more than a good bottle of wine ) I think you should have purchased it.

I have no further comments.

Dave:eek:

PandJcritics,

Hi there... we are set to leave on the Galaxy a week from Monday... just 11 days away. Unfortunately, my father is sick. We are waiting on results of a biopsy, and it does not look good. I, of course, cannot imagine going on a vacation while my father is ill/in the hospital/having surgery. We did not buy the travel insurance (we never do) and of course now I'm kicking myself. The money isn't a big deal. Family is more important. But if we have to cancel, do we lose everything?

I need some advice...

I've never had to do anything like this, so I don't know. Oh - we booked our flights seperately through Continental - in case anyone has had experience with that airline.

Thanks.

As soon as you know that you can't go (wait for the results of the biopsy), have your travel agent call Celebrity (1) to cancel the booking and (2) to inquire what the line will do for you. When my mom died two days before I was scheduled to go on a cruise, I saw my travel agent to cancel the booking that day. The fare was not refundable, but Celebrity gave me about 75% of it as a credit toward a future cruise in exchange for submission of a copy of the death certificate. Note, however, that my travel agent had to speak to a supervisor at Celebrity's call center to get this answer. You probably will get a similar outcome (that is, a credit toward a future cruise in exchange for documentation from a physician of your father's medical condition), and you can apply the credit toward a cruise that probably will be much needed when your father's medical situation stabilizes so that you can travel again.

Norm.

You could ask if they would let you transfer the booking to a future date. I have heard that sometimes they might.

Your air may be cancelled and allowed to fly within a certain time.

Only the carriers can answer your questions.

Why oh why do people not buy the insurance, you just never know.

Will put your father on my prayer list, keep good thoughts.

Unfortunately you will lose everything.

Having been there and done that with two parents now, I say life has to go on and you should go on your trip. There could be months and months of emotional ups and downs here on out. You need that chance to refresh and regroup for what may come down the road.

Some may call it callous, but I make my peace with those close to me everyday should I or they perish unexpectedly. I would take the vacation as you may regret it should nothing serious happen while you are gone.

I agree! Once you know what the biopsy results are, you will be able to make the decision. Maybe you were meant to go on this cruise! I would not cancel... talk to dad (after results)... and come back, ready to take on whatever comes your way...

Good luck with everything! keep us posted!

Jerseygirl3, I don't think your information is correct. Galaxy cruises March 26 on an 11 day itinerary. According to the info I have, Cruises 9 night or longer have no refunds within 14 days of sailing.....:o

Sorry, I didn't realize this cruise was longer than 7 nights.

If you booked using an American Express card, they will refund some if not all the money-it depends what kind of AE card you have. The airlines might give you a problem because they give you the option of taking out insurance but it might be covered under your credit card especially if you booked using American Express.

However, for the cost of insurance ( which is nothing more than a good bottle of wine ) I think you should have purchased it.

I have no further comments.

Dave ~ You must drink really good wine... my local winery stuff is about $18.99 a bottle.

CLEARLY, we should have purchased it. But we figured $100/person on a $799/person booking was a bit much.

Obviously, things have changed.

EVERYONE ELSE ~

Thank you for your help... there are some good ideas in here... I greatly appreciate them since I am not thinking clearly right now.

I need some advice...

Thanks.

Hi PandJ !

I do not have much to add. The suggestions made above, have been excellent. I agree that you should wait to see what the test results are before you undo everything. If need be, then have your TA call Celebrity, and see if they will do anything for you.

I sincerely hope that everything works out well for your Dad. Please keep us posted.

Just remember to focus on what is important, which is your dad. If worse comes to worst and you simply lose the cruise fare, IT'S ONLY MONEY! That doesn't matter at all in the long run compared to your father's health and your time with him.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you...

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

First, the airline. You'll get a credit to be used within a year... usually... depends on farecode booked. When you rebook, you'll be charged a rebooking fee (sounds nicer than a cancellation fee).

The cruise. It depends. Sometimes I have been able to get a future cruise certificate from the cruiseline, but they have really tightened up on "being nice".

Good luck

My post wasn't meant as a dig.

I'm curious though, my last 10 night cruise the insurance was only around 80.00 thru X. Maybe the cost has increased.

But for me a cruise is special no matter how many I do a year. I have ended up using the insurance previously which was a heck of a lot less than what I would have lost.

Think about regular health insurance, car insurance.....would you skimp on that? Thats how I feel about cruise insurance.

Secondly I'm not a doctor, but a biopsy usually means cancer. And if it looks bad...I think you should take your dad on the cruise, postpone any surgery for a week and enjoy yourselves as a family while you can at the worse. Lifes TOO short to be worrying about things we cant change.

PandJcritics, you've received lots of good advice from other posters about the cruise aspect already. I just want to let you know I'll also be praying for your Dad and for you, and hoping for all the best for your family.

My rule of thumb is no cruise insurance for a trip under 5,000..

So I would have not purchased it either........

What a shock.....even though things might look bad you might be surprised at the outcome...my thoughts are with your family and Dad it is difficult on everyone at a time like this.

Best Wishes

I need some advice...

Thanks.

I don't have any practical advise about refunding but having bad news from far away is something I do know well.

I have been in your shoes. I was far away when my sister was diagnosed with cancer. I wanted to run home to her side but didn't. Just a few facts to help "clear your head" from someone who's been there;

-bad news is bad news but treatment isn't always obvious. It took 6 weeks just to diagnose my sister's rare form of lymphoma. Then there was a lot of talk about which treatment would be best. This all took months, not weeks. She had to absorb a lot of information. This is today's reality with cancer. The patient has a lot to learn. There are often options, second opinions and decisions.

-This was a grapefruit sized tumor and there was no surgery. She never spent a night in the hospital. She did have to be kept from crowds during chemo. This was a nasty, aggressive cancer that would have killed her in a matter of months.

-No one wants a cancer diagnosis but it doesn't mean the Grim Reaper is knocking at the door. Even another family member, who is in her last days as I write this, kept her 3rd round with the disease from being terminal for a year. Many terminal cancers are now being treated at chronic conditions. Some patients end up dying at a ripe old age from something else. Some of the cancers that older people get are slower growing and easier to control.

-Being there would not have done my sister one iota of good. She had my mom and her husband there. Sometimes having a lot of family hovering around makes the person feel the need to look and feel strong. Many prefer more "alone" time to digest all the information, make decisions and just to absorb it all. Having people arrive on their doorstep and cancel trips may put more pressure on your dad. If he has support around him already, having you dramatically show up may not be what he needs right now.

Family is first for me too but it's not that simple. I don't want to sound harsh but you have to ask yourself if you'd cancel for him or for you. My sister is now in her 4th year of remission and got married last summer. She's had a lot of counseling and now helps young people newly diagnosed with lymphoma and leukemia. Family members, she's explained, can make this more about them than the patient. One cancer survivor found it more difficult trying to comfort upset family and friends than dealing with her own reality. It was exausting, she told me. Make sure you're not falling into that trap, especially in the first phase of this experience.

Cancer is often a long haul. Even when the battle is fought, there can be psychological wars afterwards. Right now there's drama and a lot of mystery and lost sleep. It is actually the worst part of the ordeal, or it was for us. You all will feel better knowing what's ahead, even if it's not good.

He will need you in the coming months. You will be there for him. Make that clear and make sure of what you decide to do at this point. A few days with a few of the family on a ship may not make that much of a difference in the long run IMHO.

All the best and keep us posted!

Archived