Roll call on 'straight' roll call board ignored??

newfarmers

Hi all'

Has anyone encountered a roll call being ignored on the ship boards?

Call me paranoid but I posted a roll call on the Rotterdam's boards for our Three Continents cruise departing Venice Oct 22. Been read a few times but no response.

Yesterday I checked and another member has posted a Three Continents roll call, just from Lisbon instead of Venice. I thought there was only supposed to be one roll call for a voyage so why start another thread for just the Lisbon-Rio sector.

Ok, yes I am paranoid. Wonder if my intro of "we are a gay male couple...." was a little scary for your 'average' HAL Cruisecritic member to join the call?:(

newfarmers,

I started a thread on the Celebrity roll call board for our April 7 Century cruise, being very open that it is me and Allen (my partner) going on the cruise. No problem with lots of responses, and conversations that welcome Allen and me on the cruise, as well as others. The roll call that I posted on this GLBT board (twice) has gone successfully unresponded to. Though I have invited those who might not want to post here to join us on the roll call on the Celebrity site. So, my experience has been the opposite of yours. I suspect is is a roll of the dice as to what roll call threads get responded to and which ones do not. David

By the way, the "New" Century April 7 roll call I started on the Celebrity site was really an attempt to consolodate two older, separate roll calls that had slipped to the depths of the board. Seems to have worked for the most part. No one seemed to object about beginning what was a third roll call in an attempt to provide a consolodated thread. Maybe try something like that on the HAL board, or simply join the other thread. David

Thanks, Derf. Now I understand why I usually agree with your posts. This will be only the second cruise for Allen and me, but we enjoyed our spring break cruise last year, are really looking forward to the Century this year, and are thinking we will do more cruise vacations in the future. Maybe we'll run into you on one of them, or in Delaware where everyone knows Ruth Ann and there are zero degrees of separation (at least in Sussex County).

David

I consistently post "roll calls" on this G/L forum that seem to get ignored...! :rolleyes: :D

HAHA!

I was going to post the same thing....

From my limted past experience, it seems roll calls on THIS board are more likely to not get any response, compared to the regular roll call boards.

Could be there are just fewer gays and lesbians who check out this board.

Also, remember that its only a small percentage of actual cruisers who read and post here.

Hang in there....and don't be paranoid!

:)

HAHA!

I was going to post the same thing....

From my limted past experience, it seems roll calls on THIS board are more likely to not get any response, compared to the regular roll call boards.

Could be there are just fewer gays and lesbians who check out this board.

Also, remember that its only a small percentage of actual cruisers who read and post here.

Hang in there....and don't be paranoid!

:)

likewise! i have an Alaska Mercury roll call on this board that has been read, but received no responses ... and there are only 2 of us on the Celebrity roll call forum for the same cruise. oh well!

Jeffrey

I agree with "new 2 cruisen". I posted a roll call for an Alaska cruise last fall on the regular roll call and the gay/lesbian board. This cruise included a gay group of 120+. I had only two responses from the gay board and over thirty on the "regular" board. Most posters were aware of the gay group shortly into the post. We even had a Cruise Critic get together onboard and about thirty folk (six gay) showed up. So don't give up, you may get more people logging on yet.

Never had any open hostility on a rollcall about being gay, but HAVE had folks from the general one admit to "lurking" over here, when we had a separate one for GLBT's, to find out what we were up to, and if they could get invited to the parties we were planning!:D

And, especially on other lines than Celebrity, I've had no reponses, even on trips with Cunard.

Plus there ARE a lot of people who get overwhelmed by the search function, and post a new thread without realizing they're duplicating. I actually did that once myself when I first started posting on CC years ago...:o

Andrew

Plus there ARE a lot of people who get overwhelmed by the search function, and post a new thread without realizing they're duplicating. I actually did that once myself when I first started posting on CC years ago...:o

Andrew

I have made many suggestions about roll calls

1. Standardized date format

2. Every cruise had a roll call already made. In order. CruiseCriters are only allowed to add posts not create new threads.

3. One roll call for straights. One for lesbians, one for gays ..............

ISO 8601 (a recommended standard from the International Organization for Standardization)

from

http://lyberty.com/meta/iso_8601.htm

sorry for opening another can of worms...

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. My partner thinks I'm obsessed (maybe I am) with the site now but I really find everyones thoughts and ideas very helpful.

We didn't know CC existed before we took our first cruise and would have been much better prepared.

Nevertheless, we had the most amzing time and I would take a cruise every holiday if I was allowed (LOL).

We're now in the midst of getting clarification from our airlines on how much luggage we can take. We're flying Qantas, British Airways, LANChile and then Qantas and web enquiries have ranged from one 20 or 23 kg bag each to two of 32kg each. The sublime to the ridiculous! I like LAN's the best - 2x23kg, best of both worlds.

Thanks again everyone for your advice

Pete (and Al - who I know goes on and reads my posts)

It really is hit-and-miss when it comes to these roll calls. There is a roll call for my 5/20 Noordam Alaska sailing on both boards. So far I haven't gotten a single response from the G&L board. The folks on the other roll call are also not "overly responsive" so the thread has been slow. However, the "straight" roll call for the week before me has been extremely active and the week after me, which I know a gay agency is selling as a gay group week has had no postings here.....so go figure.:rolleyes:

I just continue to read and post all over the board and meet as many people as possible. That way when I get onboard I'll have all the resources I need and hopefully meet just as many gay & straight new friends there!:D (although I really DO wish someone would join the gay rollcall!:p )

It really is hit-and-miss when it comes to these roll calls.

That's what I think too! Some "straights" are scared off but I don't think every one of them are. I had a great roll call that I joined on my last cruise and decided for the first time to set one up for my next voyage. I wasn't sure how far I was going to introduce myself but I did make mention of us being two guys. The cruise doesn't seem to attract a lot of attention but I have had one person join up whom I have been corresponding with. We've also had a lot of visitors from my previous roll call. I think these things just really depend on who is actually booked and the general overall interest in a particular cruise and there's no rhyme or reason as to why one roll call is popular and why another is ignored.

David

Yep, I think you're being paranoid! LOL.....I posted to this thread because we have many on our "other"roll call who are GBLT. We haven't had many responses on this board, however, our other board took off 4 months before the cruise! If you scared some away, so be it. You will probably experience a surge once you get closer to sailing day! :)

Yep, I think you're being paranoid! LOL.....I posted to this thread because we have many on our "other"roll call who are GBLT. We haven't had many responses on this board, however, our other board took off 4 months before the cruise! If you scared some away, so be it. You will probably experience a surge once you get closer to sailing day! :)

Agreed. I know this sounds odd, but the straight chick in the group for our cruise is the one that started the roll call in this forum :D. The other forum was just clicking so well that I had already contacted and chatted with a couple in CT, and a local gentleman in Tampa, only to have a few more folks join in on the fun.

The "Friend of Julie" thread you see going is fairly minimal in comparison to our 35 page thread.

Just give it some time, and let things warm up a bit.

-Steve

Archived