White Clothing Question??

Hello, I know this should be in the fashion questions, but I just read something there about white shoes before Easter or Memorial Day, and most people won't do it! I tend to believe if you are in a tropical place those rules don't apply? I was also wondering about white pants ect.. I've never cruised this time of year (Freedom 4-22) and I would love to bring white capri's and white shoes! But I don't want to look foolish!! Thought I'd jump over from Fashion Board to my favorite Royal Carribbean Board!! Thanks for any advice! Happy Cruising

wear the white and don't look back- in my opinion- going to the caribbean or other tropical places white is fine year round - it also works for most floridians and europeans and other countries yr round from what i have read- there will be so many on your cruise - most won't even notice what you are wearing so go and wear what you are comfortable wearing as long as its not the dreaded shorts in the dining room trick- lol-

This has been a big thing for us born and raised in the south, not Texas but the real south, we grew up not wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor day. Recently they gave the okay for wearing white clothing year round but I have not heard about the shoes changing. I still have a problem wearing them off season. BUT like it was pointed out, you are cruising after Easter so no biggie.

Just an FYI, I used to cruise after Labor day, usually the Sept - Nov range and I wore white then, even white shoes. Figure in the Caribbean, those rules dont apply. Funny how we can find those little exceptions!

Hello, I know this should be in the fashion questions, but I just read something there about white shoes before Easter or Memorial Day, and most people won't do it! I tend to believe if you are in a tropical place those rules don't apply? I was also wondering about white pants ect.. I've never cruised this time of year (Freedom 4-22) and I would love to bring white capri's and white shoes! But I don't want to look foolish!! Thought I'd jump over from Fashion Board to my favorite Royal Carribbean Board!! Thanks for any advice! Happy Cruising

Hey, we will be cruising together:p . I am bringing my white capri's and white shoes. IMHO, anytime you are somewhere tropical and hot, white never goes out of style!!!

I was born and raised in the South, and my mom and grandmother always enforced the no white before Easter or after Labor Day rule, no matter how hot the weather was.

I honestly think that most people don't observe that any more, myself included.

It was 88 degrees here Sunday, and I wore a spring dress and white sandals.

I also firmly believe that if you are in a tropical climate, you should be comfortable, and this will include white skirts and capris and sandals.

We own vacation property in Florida that we usually spend time at in September or October, and there are lots of ladies in that area that wear white whenever they want!

We will be on the same cruise and I have already planned on wearing my white pants the very first day...I love white pants, they feel very nautical:) And cruising the largest ship in the world I wanna feel nautical;)

Have you checked out the roll call?????

Actually the rule I grew up hearing was no white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. But I've always believed rules were made to be broken, so wear the white & have a great cruise!!:D

White on vacation in the Caribbean is fine......so are floral prints...silk tank tops....and after a few days in the sun...NO HOSE:eek: - (except with formal attire)

By the way....we don't wear white pants or shoes all year in South Florida. :)

That's because when all of us northerners are down there in February for our "tropical" vacations, you're all trying to pretend it's winter!:D

Oh yes you are so right! We wear uggs and sweaters and jeans as soon as the temp drops below 70 - then we peel it all off two days later!!:D :D

The Caribbean is not the US. They don't observe all our holidays. We don't observe all their holidays. White is acceptable in the tropics all year long.

Here's Surf's Rules for white:

If it is hot enough to wear a bathing suit, you can wear white.

If it is hot enough to wear shorts, you can wear white.

If it is hot enough to wear sleeveless shirts and tank tops, you can wear white.

It it is hot enough to wear sandals, those sandals can be white.

If you are so totally under the sway of northern rules even in tropical countries that you cannot bear to wear white before the US Memorial day, you can wear pale beige, ivory, cream, or pastel colored shoes.

For my mind, nothing screams "fashion imperialism" louder than expecting people to obey strict northern US fashion color rules while in foreign tropical countries.

According to A Southern Belle Primer; Maryln Schwartz, Doubleday, 1991 (don't flame me, I haven't written a bibliography since I graduated from college in 1980) "Never hear white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day. The only exception is if you're a bride. Bridesmaids, however, must never wear white shoes. Bridesmaids shoes should match the punch."

So if you're cruising the Mississippi River in November, leave your white shoes at home.

By the way....we don't wear white pants or shoes all year in South Florida. :)

I've been in Dade county (Miami) for 48 years and I disagree with that statement. :)

Has anyone watched, "What not to wear"? They will tell you white is allowed anytime, too.

Wow.. thanks so much for all of the positive replies!! I will definately pack my whites!! Actually in the North, our rule was white ok after Memorial Day and Not after Labor Day. Easter really had nothing to do with it because it can still be pretty chilly around Easter! I read it on the fashion board about after Easter. I also read alot of southerners not wearing white at all!! Is there a reason for that??? Up north we get so excited to break out all our white stuff!! Thanks everyone for all the replies!! Now I won't have to worry about feeling "foolish"!

Well white tends not to be so flattering. I personally like white, even if I do look like a marshmellow puff.

The white after easter thing is the southern way. On Easter Sunday we wear our white shoes, hats etc to church, so then on out it is okay to wear!

I always watch the CBS Early Show from 7 to 9 a.m. weekdays.

Julie Chen, who is the wife of the CBS CEO, and is co-anchor of the show, wore a white wool coat all winter when interviewing people on the plaza outside.

The no-white-rule went out a while ago. It's now called "winter white", so wear whatever you wish. Have fun! :)

Archived