Will we like Carnival?

shofer

Hubby & I have been on 8 cruises, 6 with Celebrity, 1-RCCL & 1 Princess and liked them all. We are planning on taking our adult children and their spouses on a Caribbean cruise in February and didn't want to saddle them with an older demographic. This would be their first cruise and we wanted it to be memorable for them and enjoyable for us. What kind of experience can we expect? Will the "party" atmosphere be over the top with lots of drunks all over? Or can we expect another sublime cruise experience with good food, activites and nice rooms? We are looking at Glory or Triumph.

Thanks to all that reply.

It really depends on what you are looking for on your cruise. If you want everyone to be happy and you are a go with the flow family, you will be happy. If you are expecting all of the people to be on their best behavior at all times, you will be sadly dissappointed. We found Carnival to be nicer than we expected, and now will stick with Carnival for the best money we have ever spent. Not once were we put off by other's behaviors except for those who walked around always looking disgusted, for no apparent reason.

Will the "party" atmosphere be over the top with lots of drunks all over? .

let me guess, you hard about the Carnival party ships from someone who has never been on Carnival or were on Carnival 20 years ago.

Actually, you may be quite suprised, I have been on Carnival ships that were dead after 11pm.

The only time you may get a roughty group is over spring break but the same thing happens on RCCL.

some people liike the food more and some people like it less but everyone likes the bigger cabins.

All you can do is try it once.

My husband and I are not party-ers by any means. I can't say that I have ever noticed a visably drunk (obnoxiously) on a Carnival cruise. But then again, we don't hang out in the bars or on the main Lido deck area.

In February, you won't have the Spring breakers, so that should help.

We like the food better on Carnival than on Celebrity or Princess (especially in the dining room)

But all that being said, you'll get out of it, what you put into it.

One of my favorite cruise memories is an older lady coming up to us on a cruise. She grabbed my arm and said "I am having such a great time. My travel agent tried to talk me out of going on Carnival and this is my best cruise ever!" She just had to tell someone or burst!

FYI a lot of the Northeastern schools have off on Presidents week, so there are a lot of kids that week. Prices are usually higher then too (for cruise, airfare and hotels)

Best wishes!

I was a snob who didn't want to try Carnival because of all of the negative things I had heard about the cruiseline. Then I got a price I couldn't pass up and I did a last minute cruise with them. And ya know what, I was SHOCKED by how similiar they were with RCCL.

I DID like the food better. And I DID like the bigger rooms.

I guess I went into it not expecting much and I was happily surprised. And I came home and booked a group of friends on another CCL cruise in August.

I've been on 19 cruises. Carnival - 5, Celebrity - 5, Royal Caribbean - 4, HAL - 1 and a few others.

There will be differences. Food is pretty darn good. Not as good, not as imaginative and the presentation is not equal to Celebrity. Again, the food is good.

Service, while good is not quite as polished and refined as Celebrity.

There is no steward at the end of the buffet line to carry your tray.

You will see more boistrous people onboard, whether drunk or not.

The burgers on the pool deck are not as good on Carnival. But the pizza is a little better.

There will be announcements on the PA to hawk bingo, and other events such as sales.

Overall Carnival is a great "bang for the buck".

I suggest you also post this question over on the Celebrity board.

Also no steward at the gangway when returning from "HOT" ports with those chilled towels. At first I thought that was hookey but soon learned how refreshing they are.

Cabins are comparable but that bottle of water is for sale.

I was a snob who didn't want to try Carnival because of all of the negative things I had heard about the cruiseline. Then I got a price I couldn't pass up and I did a last minute cruise with them. And ya know what, I was SHOCKED by how similiar they were with RCCL.

I DID like the food better. And I DID like the bigger rooms.

I guess I went into it not expecting much and I was happily surprised. And I came home and booked a group of friends on another CCL cruise in August.

Snob!!!!!!!

Okay, just kidding. :D

Hubby & I have been on 8 cruises, 6 with Celebrity, 1-RCCL & 1 Princess and liked them all.

They will have a great time and so will you, as long as you stop yourself from comparing Carnival to Celebrity or RCCL, This is what usually happens and this can make everyone miserable.

Go and have a great time, Get it out of your head already that if you will like Carnival, that already sounds negative.

Fred

CCL is fun for the $, but doesn't compare to celebrity. food ,service and the whole ship ambiance is totally not comparable. not to say CCL is bad,but you get what you pay for.FAMILY AWESOME,ROMANTIC NOT !

CCL is fun for the $, but doesn't compare to celebrity. food ,service and the whole ship ambiance is totally not comparable. not to say CCL is bad,but you get what you pay for.FAMILY AWESOME,ROMANTIC NOT !

My wife and I had evening drinks in the piano bar after a wonderful meal.....moonlite walks on the deck......and time by ourselves on our own balcony............can't say it wasn't romantic.

And a friend from the Miracle is just off the Celebrity Galaxy.............he said even the crew were calling it the cemetary cruise.........I guess you never know what you'll get until you try..............I've only done Carnival and like what I get for my money. Not saying I won't try another....but if it ain't broke........

My kid wants to surf on RC....that'll probably be after the two I have booked. I promissed:(

Not putting down CL but there are overall differences. one small dif, dress code is not even thought of by some passengers . not being a jerk but i enjoy my dinning experience with my family ,only to have surrounding tables with tank tops and ripped up jeans on formal nights . I try to teach my kids a little class in fine dinning and adequate. We have a wonderful time ,but kids always second guess my judgment in proper attire.This never was an issue on celeb cruises.

I sailed on Glory a year ago last Feb., it was a 7 day cruise and it was great, there wasn't alot of kids, drunks, ect.

We just got off a Celebrity cruise and I will tell you the differences I noticed:

The pasteries in the Pay coffee area (cova cafe on the Constellation) were free, on Carnival they are not.

The food at Carnival was mostly as good as Celebrity, except I think the fish and definitely the escargot were much better, the salad at Carnival was better and I did enjoy the other main dishes better on Carnival (besides the fish).

Deserts were better on Celebrity.

The staff seemed more friendly on Celebrity overall, however I recieved excellent stateroom service on both. Our first Carnival cruise was so so, but our second time on Glory was fabulous for the dining, I now believe it was due to the a better head waiter the second time, food was always hot and fresh, the first time it wasn't.

I found the food mostly hot and fresh on Celebrity.

I liked the bedding MUCH better on the Carnival Glory, it was awesome!!

The rest of the experience was basically the same, except it was nice to not have the announcements in your cabin all the time.

I have another Carnival cruise booked in September, and I will book another Celebrity cruise. Both are much better than not being on one at all, and I think if you go looking for fault anywhere, you will find it. If you with an open mind and a hearty expectation to have fun, you will!!!

The cool towels at the ports were nice, however I can also go on the ship and wash up in the bathroom, it wasn't a huge deal.

I think for a family experience your on the right track, hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Cheers, Carole

And Celebrity bakes all their own breads onboard. Love those bread sticks at dinner and the wonderful croissants. They also make their own salad dressings onboard and their own real ice cream. And as someone else eluded to, proper dress is never a question in the evening. Nice that they also serve sorbet around the pool during the afternoon.

For Carnival loyalists. Where can you buy Presidents Butter? I have searched high and low and can't find it. I can find their cheeses and I recently found some Irish butter that is close but no Presidents.

If you go with a open mind and looking for party atmosphere you will love it. It isn't called the fun ship for nothing.

If you are a old fuddy dud that don't enjoy being around people having a good time and just letting it all hang out (take it anyway you want) then you will hate it.

There is enough variety in food and entertainment so you won't be lacking in either. People say that you get this and that on other cruise lines but you are also paying for it. One couple keep complaining about the poor service compared to a Crystal cruise plus they got free wine. Big deal you should get something for the ridiculous price they charge.

We have been on Celebrity, RCCL, and just got off the Spirit a month ago. I found Celebrity food to be the best but not a very lively atmostphere, RCCL was good all round but the food in the dining room wasn't that great, we felt that the food in the dining room was better on Carnival but not the buffet. Over all we were very pleased with Carnival and will go with them over RCCL and for us we were pleasantly suprised. Our next cruise in the Caribbean will most likely be with Carnival.

I have been VERY pleased with Carnival cruises. I think they are a better value and I have always had great service on all the ships I have been on. I am Platinum now because I seem to always go back to Carnival when booking my cruises. Which ever cruiseline you pick I hope you have a great cruise.:)

Guest YesitDonna

How can anyone tell anyone else if they will like something if they have never met? You like seafood.. you don't know I don't and tell me I will LOVE the lobster! ummm no.. I won't lol :eek:

How can anyone tell anyone else if they will like something if they have never met? You like seafood.. you don't know I don't and tell me I will LOVE the lobster! ummm no.. I won't lol :eek:

LOL! I understand what you are saying, all we can do when someone asked us a questin like this, is tell them our personal experiences and have them try to judge for themselves.

I predict that Carnival will make you and the rest of of your beloved family happier than a puppy with two peters. LOL... Seriously... enjoy... it will mean the world to you and your children (their spouses will LOVE you also).:D :D

With 29 cruises under our belts, 15 on Carnival, I can say having sailed on Costa, Celebrity, HAL, RCCL and NCL, we always come back to Carnival. The people are real and we just plain have more fun. We still enjoy RCCL once in awhile, but we love the Fantasy and Conquest class of ships. Yeah the food is the same each cruise but it still beats what my wife puts on the table (she doesn't like to cook and it shows) and my culinary skills suck too. :( Besides we like being pampered. :p Yeah we have paid more but it still comes down to people and Carnival people are more fun.:D

51 days to Ecstay

Steve & Kathy

29 cruises down,

hundreds to go!

WHAT? A ship does not determine the amount of Romance on a cruise. That is deterrmined by you and your partner. I found our Carnival cruise to be the most romantic, most outrageous cruise I have ever been on. My DH and I renewed our vows for our tenth anniv. and every night was a dream. We began on the Queen Mary the night before, I walked into our suite on the Pride to find anniversary decorations, I received a beautiful vase full of roses, he presented me with several pieces of jewelry, we danced, we laughed, we made love by the moonlight, it was very romantic! And it all took place on a Carnival Cruise Ship!:D

Archived