A clothing question again - fur coat?

Mypka

Dear fellow cruisers, I profusely apologise for bringing up the subject of warm clothes again. But it will be our first cruise to Alaska (we did travel to Caribbean and Bahamas in the past), and I can't stand cold weather whatsowever. Do you think it'll make sense to pack a fur coat? I also was planning to wear a short shearling coat for the shore excursions. We live in San Diego and I simply do not own a fleece or a rain coat, as a matter of fact - gosh, I don't even remember where my umbrella is! :) I also don't want to invest into buyng clothes we not going to wear ever after the cruise. Now, my hubby does have a warm waterproof goose down coat, but it is so bulky! How in the world am I going to pack it?

Thank you .

What month are you travelling? I'd suggest you check out this link for the mean temperatures during your planned travel period, and bring clothing accordingly. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/indexusa.htm

A fur coat is probably overkill unless you're going to be there in February. Plus it's bulky to pack. You might take this oportunity to invest in a couple of fleece pieces for the trip - probably a small price to pay for comfort while you're there. Generally something like fleece for warmth and a waterproof/windproof jacket is the answer. Layering is the key, since it can be chilly when you start out in the morning, but by noon you're ready to shed a layer.

Ann

I also live in San Diego County - I know what you mean about finding the umbrella. ;) I would suggest packing in layers. You may be able to find a medium weight waterproof jacket from Burlington Coat Factory, any of the larger mall stores or even from Target or Wal Mart inexpensively. Layer a sweater or sweatshirt under it. I'm also going to bring a fleece scarf and gloves (leftover from living in Buffalo NY). I'd leave the fur and fluffy down home if it were me.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/category/22000507

Link above shows just a sample of fleece jackets: I would warn you about buying one too cheaply in San Diego, as there is fleece, and then there is fleece. The really cheap stuff doesn't have any windblock properties and is more appropriate for indoor wear than outdoor wear.

How about a couple cashmere sweaters undfer a windbreaker? Will it work?

Sure, that should work. When I was last in Alaska (Inside Passage), it was late September, and I just had a sweater under an unlined rain jacket. It was plenty warm with this combination.

I don't know how much global warming has changed things in the last twenty years, but when I was there in 1989 I got sunburned in Ketchikan (around May 27), but I was freezing in Sitka and at Glacier Bay.

I'm taking a parka. If I don't need it, fine, but I don't want to be unprepared. This time we're going a bit farther north (Denali and Fairbanks), so I'm thinking I might need it.

I think the shearling jacket should be enough as long as you take a hat and gloves and plenty of things to layer if it gets cold on you.

As for fur, I'm stunned anyone dares still wear fur. It's so politically incorrect.

Dear fellow cruisers, I profusely apologise for bringing up the subject of warm clothes again. But it will be our first cruise to Alaska (we did travel to Caribbean and Bahamas in the past), and I can't stand cold weather whatsowever. Do you think it'll make sense to pack a fur coat? I also was planning to wear a short shearling coat for the shore excursions. We live in San Diego and I simply do not own a fleece or a rain coat, as a matter of fact - gosh, I don't even remember where my umbrella is! :) I also don't want to invest into buyng clothes we not going to wear ever after the cruise. Now, my hubby does have a warm waterproof goose down coat, but it is so bulky! How in the world am I going to pack it?

Thank you .

waterproof Parka will be more practical. But if you try to stay out of rain, fur coat won't be too bad either for early June.

[quote name='caribbean dreams']Not to mention what the damp rainy weather will make that fur coat smell like.:eek: 
Just don't leave the ship with it on, you may become dinner for the wildlife.[/quote]

LMFAO Worse yet in that wilderness the wildlife trys to get their freak on and mate with it.

Thank you .

Summer in Alaska is as warm or warmer than winter in San Diego, although not as sunny. A fur coat is not practical. It will either be warm and sunny or cool and rainy. If you wear your fur coat in the rain you will gain about 10 pounds in water weight. A lightweight rain jacket (they call them golf jackets in San Diego) over a lightweight fleece (which is what I wore last January in San Diego) will be adequate for any but the coldest days. The average summer temperature in the interior is around 75 degrees, so it would be even more impractical there.

Also be aware that most down jackets are water-resistant, not waterproof. I have a gore-tex jacket that will not stay dry in a good SE Alaska downpour. If the down gets wet, it will also gain about 10 pounds and won't dry properly unless you put it in a dryer with a tennis shoe.

All right, all right, I am gald, you guys are having fun here at my expense with your animalistic erotic fantasies :)

Let's be serious - how about a nice evening stroll on the open deck? Wouldn't a warm and light short sable coat be useful? Especially if it is not raining.

Even in San Diego I do wear my fur coats for nights out in winter time.

how about a nice evening stroll on the open deck? Wouldn't a warm and light short sable coat be useful? Especially if it is not raining. .

Even when it's not raining, it may be misty out on deck. The San Diego dry weather is completely different from Alaska's weather.

beng that i am from Alaska, I can tell you from experience, the fur will not work out well.

I had a nice warm coat with fur around the edges of the hood only, i was forever smelling like a dead animal, even when it was not raining, I eventually just unzipped the whole hood and took it off ecause it was always a mess.

South East Alaska is especially bad when it comes to mist, it's a rainforest, that should give some clue as to the weather.

All right, all right, I am gald, you guys are having fun here at my expense with your animalistic erotic fantasies :)

Let's be serious - how about a nice evening stroll on the open deck? Wouldn't a warm and light short sable coat be useful? Especially if it is not raining.

Even in San Diego I do wear my fur coats for nights out in winter time.

It would look lovely. I just dunno if it's worth packing. Last time I was in Alaska, I was living near Orange County at the time. Just an hour or two north of you.

Long sleeve cotton turtlenecks were fine. Sweaters. That sort of thing. I used the upper part of a track suit to protect against rain (it was that or a ski jacket). The main thing is to protect against the wind and wind chill. You've been to the beach. You know how windy it can get. It can get even more so when you're up on the deck of a cruise ship.

Packing lightly is something to really consider. Especially with the airlines tightening up on how much luggage you can have now. Also, many of them don't have the greatest rep in getting your luggage to your destination (whether thru negligence or just outright theft; LAX was in the news recently cuz the fed inspectors were caught stealing). A beautiful fur coat isn't something I'd risk unless really necessary.

Hi,

I'm going to Alaska next month. I live in Arizona. So, what's a coat?:D I went to our local Goodwill store and found an almost-new parka for $7.50. I also found some furry boots, a few woolly scarves and mittens. I think I spent about $20.00. Plus, Goodwill does a lot to further the situations of some really unfortunate folks. Folks who, I would guess, aren't cruising anytime soon.

Therefore but for the grace of God go any one of us...

God Bless,

mrsraggy

Archived