What Size Dining Table Do You Request??

SakeDad

What Size Dining Table Do You Request & Why??  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What Size Dining Table Do You Request & Why??

• Always request a table for 2 (or only for our group)
    • Table for 2 only on special occasions
    • Always willing to share and meet new folks
    • Prefer not to eat with strangers...you just never know
    • Prefer small table as we are shy
    • Each cruise has been different requests for us
    • Very unhappy if we don't get the dining table we requested
    • Make the best of whatever we get...it's a CRUISE!!

O.K., I've voted, for the varies by cruise option, but these days we generally try for a table for 6.

When we first went cruising, we took HAL's "M-class guarantee" -- anyone remember that? The only time we actually did not get upgraded was on Statendam's solar eclipse cruise, which we should have foreseen would have been packed! So, we've gone to choosing the cabin we want and just sticking with it. But, at first, we took whatever dining seating was assigned. Once we got a table for at least 8 and it may have been 10. Most other times, we got tables for 4. Now, we know that we can really state our preferences ahead of time, and usually get what we ask for.

We now generally ask for a table of 6. Our thought process is, that usually means two other couples, so we have at least a 50-50 chance that we get companionable tablemates. Actually, it's probably a higher percentage, because we always share at least cruising in common and can talk about that. We run the risk that some of the tablemates will not be congenial (and of course, they also may be thinking of us, "what goobers!" ;) ).

Generally, we have had very good tablemates, and 6 seems a good number to keep conversations going. We found that on larger tables, a lot of cross-talking and "What?!?" was going on. So, we request tables for 6.

Beng puckish people, we like to arrive first and choose different seats each night, to see how the others react, but only if we think they won't be offended. DW is a left-hander, so we are somewhat restricted in a right-handers' world to the permutations we can use, but we like to try to shake up the arrangement each day to stimulate different conversations.

Once, on old Westerdam, we were seated with two sisters, one of whom had a hilarious story of sharing a tiny European elevator at her hotel with the hotel's St. Bernard, who loved riding the elevator and would insist on joining her each time she tried to get to her room! Another time, we shared with two women friends traveling together, and got along so well, we laughed constantly and had to be rushed out of the early seating so the stewards could clear our table in 30 seconds to get ready for the later seating!

In general, we have had wonderful companions, or at least pleasant ones. The worst was the insurance salesman tablemate. That was the only time we asked the maitre d' to change tables.

Dave

We like tables for 6 mostly because those are the ones next to a window or the aft windows:) I especially love meeting new people and over the years we have had many wonderful tablesmates and a few so-so table mates. None of them have been tablesmates from h*ll and several I have kept in contact with over the years. I would not mind a larger table but DH is convinced that the service is slower on bigger tables plus he tends to be a bit shyer than me.:D

We have never had a table for 2 and while it might be nice for a few nights I do enjoy getting to the table and discussing with tablesmates what they did for the day.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above answer. DH and I have a table for two almost every night at home since our kids have grown up and flown the nest. Our last cruise was with family at a table for six and the cruise before that we had a table for six with two other couples all about the same age. We had a blast AND the table was right by a window!!

We always ask for the largest table and this has met with generally successful mealtimes over 12 cruises, the majority on HAL. We usually suggest to our fellow diners that we change the seating arrangement at each meal...to allow for a better opportunity to meet the others at the table. At a table for 8 or larger, it can be difficult to speak or hear across the large table. The daily changing seating plan can be a bit awkward for the wait staff, but they have always accommodated quickly & easily.

Most of the time, we are quite pleased with the above arrangement.

This past Feb on the MAASDAM, we were less successful. We ended up with a table for 6, the fellow passengers whom we met were not very willing to change seats AND were very opinionated. We successfully deflected the attempt to discuss politics, but weren't able to sidestep the intense discussion about religion, or the lack thereof. It took 3 evenings of a 10 day cruise for all to get through this...and we eventually settled on more easily dealt with topics: the day's activities, family life, work background, travelling etc.

But, in total, we prefer the largest possible table and we are usually quite satisfied.

Copper 10.. I don't believe for one minute that you could scare anyone! ;)

We travel with our good friends & always request a Round Table for 8-10 at Dinner..If we don't happen get a large table would still enjoy our cruise..Any cruise is fine for us..

Have never had table mates which we could not communicate with or enjoy, except once or twice during lunch in the Dining room..The past few cruises, have gravitated toward having lunch in the Lido, as it offers the four us more of a selection..(And I'm thrilled to get bread pudding :) :))

At breakfast we've occasionally requested a table for four in the Dining Room, especially if one or two of us doesn't feel like having much conversation..;)

I didn't answer your poll as none of the choices seemed to fit. I have always requested (and received) a large table; I've only had a bad table twice. Once I did about 20 nights with "the Hat Lady" before I switched, and another time I got away from a Pearl Mesta wannabe by the third night (don't ask :rolleyes: ).

Pretty Please Ruth...Tell us about your "Hat Lady" & "Pearl Mesta wannabe":rolleyes: ...I know curiosity killed the Cat..Meow..;)

Pretty Please Ruth...Tell us about your "Hat Lady" & "Pearl Mesta wannabe":rolleyes: ...I know curiosity killed the Cat..Meow..;)

OK. Ya talked me into it.

Actually, "the Hat Lady" story was fairly well documented on my first Happy Wanderer thread, but I don't mind telling it again.

When I was in the check-in line I noticed a woman wearing a large rendition of a cheeseburger. That evening I found we shared a table. She wore different (as in "strange", "bizarre") hats every night. There was a fish, pig, joker cap,---I can't remember them all. They all had names and were her "children". One night she held a birthday party for them at the table. :rolleyes:

I lasted 20 nights before CC member longtimecruiser rescued me by inviting me to join her and her mother. Bless her. :)

The "Pearl Mesta" wannabe is a painful memory. There was a woman at the table that seemed to want to "play hostess" or something. She was going to direct the goings on. Period.

We had the security officer join us the second night. "Pearl" tried to dominate the conversation to the exclusion of others. Or so it seemed to me. At one point the officer turned to me and proclaimed "You're fun"!

The next night she didn't so much as acknowledge me at the table as she continued to control the conversation. I finished eating and saw the Maitre d'.

We have requested a table for six on our Zaandam Alaska cruise in July. We are traveling alone and wanted to share a table with other adults. Being a summer cruise, we expect lots of children on board. Can we request an adults only table by calling ships services or seeing the dining room manager once on board.

OK. Ya talked me into it.

Actually, "the Hat Lady" story was fairly well documented on my first Happy Wanderer thread, but I don't mind telling it again.

When I was in the check-in line I noticed a woman wearing a large rendition of a cheeseburger. That evening I found we shared a table. She wore different (as in "strange", "bizarre") hats every night. There was a fish, pig, joker cap,---I can't remember them all. They all had names and were her "children". One night she held a birthday party for them at the table. :rolleyes:

I lasted 20 nights before CC member longtimecruiser rescued me by inviting me to join her and her mother. Bless her. :)

The "Pearl Mesta" wannabe is a painful memory. There was a woman at the table that seemed to want to "play hostess" or something. She was going to direct the goings on. Period.

We had the security officer join us the second night. "Pearl" tried to dominate the conversation to the exclusion of others. Or so it seemed to me. At one point the officer turned to me and proclaimed "You're fun"!

The next night she didn't so much as acknowledge me at the table as she continued to control the conversation. I finished eating and saw the Maitre d'.

Thanks Ruth, yes now remember the "Hat Lady" you wrote about..I had a senior moment, but do enjoy your posts..You do seem like a fun person..Too bad about Pearl:eek: ..

Betty

P.S. If you are ever on a cruise with us, we'll give you our pillow chocolates..DH was told by Dr. that he can only have one small piece of chocolate daily..He's been in withdrawal ever since. He ate a full candy bar every day & still stayed skinny as a rail..:(

RuthC:

don't forget her coffe cup and hot dog hats!

As DH only eats dinner in the Lido I always request a large table for 10 as there is a better chance it won't be all couples. Usually I am seated at an officers table and that is so nice as they provide the wine for the evening.

The only time I had to change tables was once I was seated at a table for 4 so there was just me and another couple. He was a bigot and a homophobe, and I couldn't deal with his ignorance. My son is gay and I sure wished he was there to tell this guy off.

The only time I had to change tables was once I was seated at a table for 4 so there was just me and another couple. He was a bigot and a homophobe, and I couldn't deal with his ignorance. My son is gay and I sure wished he was there to tell this guy off.

Which is just one more reason to love ya!:D Not to mention you're a HAL expert!!

Archived