Bringing bottled water and sodas onboard

Hello! We will be sailing on our 11th cruise soon. This will be our first with RCCL, the others were with Carnival and Holland America. We have always taken a case of bottles of water and a six pack of bottles of Mt. Dew on every cruise. We also buy the drink cards the cruise line sells. Can anyone tell me what the current policy is now onRCCL? Have any of you cruised recently on RCCL and taken non alcoholic beverages onboard? I really would appreciate you input. We sail on the Mariner of the Seas on June 3. Thanks!:)

We do not bring it to save money, we bring it to have the water available take with us to ports where most of the time you cannot find any, and also to drink in the cabin. I do not drink ships water on any ship and yet I need to drink water. The reason for bringing Mt.Dew is because the ship does not have any Pepsi products, which means no Mt. Dew for our daughter. We obviously don;t do it trying to save money as we also buy the drink cards for each of us. Just wanted you to know it is not about money.

On the news page an article talks about Carnival now allowing water and soda but RCL sticking by their ban. I did not know of such. I would say call, but 5 calls could get 5 different answers. We like to bring water to the beaches in port and bring water bottles with big openings to fit all ice and then water. It is also good around the pool on sea days--much bigger than the little cups in the buffet.

You would be amazed how much can be saved versus buying their overpriced water bottles. Our family of five could afford it, but why waste over $20 for one round of water?

We were on the Rhapsody last week and brought about 6 cans of soda and no problem. I saw someone else bringing a six pack of liters of water he hand carried on and no problem. As long as its not booze they seemed to allow you to bring it on board.

We were on the Brilliance in January and we did a b2b on the Radiance in March and in both cruises we brought a case of water with us and left it with the luggage to be delivered to the room. On the b2b we ran out of water and bought more at a CVS. We had no problem bringing it on. They do inforce that no bottles that are opened cannot be brought back onboard.

Radiance 6-8-07

Radiance 9-14-07

Holy Moly! This one is constant. What they are looking for is alcohol! We had a 12 pack of Diet Dr Pepper in our carry on, as they do not serve that on the ship. As the bag passed through the x-ray machine, the security person on the monitor asked the security person at the end of the belt to check my bag because "he has cans". He did so, and after finding my Dr Pepper, he simply smiled and said "enjoy your Dr Pepper sir". I DON'T THINK IT"S A PROFIT THING. They make plenty of money on all the other ancillary activity. I do not think they are trying to stop anything but alcohol; reason being, once it is on the ship, it is not in thier control and could end up in the hands of minors. Also, there are federal guidlines on the amount of alcohol that can be brought in to the US from foriegn ports. It wouldn't be feasible for RCL to inventory bottles going on and segregate from tht going off once they return.

I would think that it does save quite a bit of money. I love my colas and want to have it available but prefer it in the plastic bottles that have a top that can be screwed back on. Don't like them watered down. I don't always drink a 6-pack while on board, sometimes I may drink more. Same with water but prefer it to water on the ship just because of taste. I simply put it in the bottom of my "roll-on" and IF I should be asked to remove it then I will. I would only be out MAYBE $5 - $6 (if I take one 6-pk each).

How much is a bottle of water on board? How much is a can of coke?

Are you allowed to take these outside of your cabin?

Wondering if it's easier just to order this stuff to be sent to the ship incase they do stop us.

Above several of us answered that the thing that they are banning, enforcing is liquor. NOT soda and water.

yes, we stuck a can of coke into a pocket to bring to the buffett and no one complained. We rarely did this, but once or twice for my sister. I was happy with the lemonaide which is free in the buffet and quite good.

We only brought 6 cans with us for my sister to have an occassional coke and drank 5 and brought one back home. its no big deal one way or another, just a convenience to have a few extra cokes with us.

I agree its liquor they are trying to control after all the "jumpings" off balconies, they dont want to be held financially responsible for folks dumbness if they get too drunk in their cabins.

Above several of us answered that the thing that they are banning, enforcing is liquor. NOT soda and water.

yes, we stuck a can of coke into a pocket to bring to the buffett and no one complained. We rarely did this, but once or twice for my sister. I was happy with the lemonaide which is free in the buffet and quite good.

We only brought 6 cans with us for my sister to have an occassional coke and drank 5 and brought one back home. its no big deal one way or another, just a convenience to have a few extra cokes with us.

I agree its liquor they are trying to control after all the "jumpings" off balconies, they dont want to be held financially responsible for folks dumbness if they get too drunk in their cabins.

Okay, well not to be rude, but that's not what I asked.

I have heard the opposite on other threads that they do stop ppl from bringing it on. There is too much discrepancy (sp?) for my liking and I would not like to be disappointed, is all, if I am one of the ppl who gets told they cannot bring it on.

I have heard the opposite on other threads that they do stop ppl from bringing it on. There is too much discrepancy (sp?) for my liking and I would not like to be disappointed, is all, if I am one of the ppl who gets told they cannot bring it on.

I just printed my documents from RCI's website for my May 28th cruise. They state this:

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol"

This certainly seems to confirm that water bottles and sodas are okay to bring along.

How much is a bottle of water on board? How much is a can of coke?

Are you allowed to take these outside of your cabin?

Wondering if it's easier just to order this stuff to be sent to the ship incase they do stop us.

We did bring a 12 pack of bottled water aboard the GOS and had no problem. Just to let you know, we are bottled water drinkers and do not drink soda. The water aboard the ship tasted great and we did drink it at dinner etc. when it was at a meal. The iced tea was fine, too. They did sell bottled water for shore excursions and I believe it was around $2-$3 per bottle. I think it was filtered water not spring water. The sodas were around 1.50 can plus 15% tip added. The soda card cost about 4/day (I think) and was only good for fountain soda not the cans. Like I said we don't drink the stuff, but we did see others bringing it aboard with no problem.

Also, absolutely no problem walking around or bringing your own water off or on the ship at the various ports. Not to worry about that.

Also, just to let you know, they will have canned soda and bottled water in your cabin; if you use it you will be charged. It is not free.

Hope you have a great cruise.

When I called last week and asked if I was allowed to bring soda and water the RC agent told me no. She said it is not RC that is not allowing it, but customs?????? I am going to bring it anyway, if it gets tossed it gets tossed. It is just easy to have it in your room at hand! :)

Thanks Sept10 for telling me how much it was onboard.

I didn't mean to start an argument but just saying what I've been told. Heard too many conflicting comments about ppl's stuff being taken.

You're welcome. I would just take a modest amount with you. I really don't think you will have any problem. We had our 12 pack in a carry on and like I said no problem. Have a nice time.

Last week on the Jewel they searched my carry on because they thought they saw alcohol in the x-ray machine. Once they opened my bag and confirmed it was apple juice and bottled water they gave me back my bag and let me take my drinks on board telling me to have a nice trip. At San Juan, I walked on the ship while drinking an Icee and no one said a word. In Nassau, I bought banana rum and tried to turn it into the alcohol confiscators, and they wouldn't let me because they don't collect alcohol on the last day of the cruise.

The soda card cost about 4/day (I think) and was only good for fountain soda not the cans.

I had read this in many many posts so I thought they actually had fountain soda but when I was on the cruise last week, I saw the crew had 2 liter bottles of soda they were using to fill the glasses. I guess this isnt my idea of fountain soda? True, its not cans of soda.

we leave on momday on the SOV.of seas. i'll let you know when we get back, we will be taking 3 -6 packs of diet colas with us and CHA water. my grandson is on a insulin pump and carry his can drinks with us every where we go, even when we go out to eat, we do not trust him not getting a diet drink if its not in a can,

Archived