hiring a driver for the day

tyson

What does a driver cost for the day?

My sister and I are puzzled on what to do there, so we figure this is the best thing to see the island.

There will be 6 ships there including ours. I assume that affects the price, or maybe we should book in advance?

My sister and I are puzzled on what to do there, so we figure this is the best thing to see the island.

There will be 6 ships there including ours. I assume that affects the price, or maybe we should book in advance?

6 ships is not an especiall big load for Coz; you can book in advance with some via the web or with a driver at the pier - prices will be listed near the taxi line, but I seem to recall a private driver costing about $35-40/hour (too many margaritas might have clouded my memory :o).

I just got back from my Princess cruise and one of the stops was Cozumel. We booked Tours Plaza for a private tour about 2 weeks before the cruise. We gave suggestions as to what we wanted to do. We requested Alberto based on the TripAdvisor reviews. The minimum price is 107 for 3 hours and 25 for each extra hour. Admission prices to whatever you wanted to do as well as drinks were not included. I placed a deposit of 62 dollars down. The communication was excellent with the company.

On the day of the trip, there was a HEAVY downpour and we were going to do the tour but the weather got worse! I met Alberto after trying to call (my cell did not reach the owner of the company for some reason) and told him I wanted to cancel. He agreed that it was not a good day to tour. Eventually the company agreed to give us back about 90% of our deposit which was very nice. I felt this was fair as they had to pay some costs for paypal etc.

If I had to do a private tour in Cozumel, I would highly recommend Tours Plaza based on the communication and their fairness/customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for telling me about the vanilla because I had planned to buy it in one of the art/craft stores called "cinco soles", but you're right, I'm sure the supermarket where the local people buy should have it at a better price, and I'm sure it's good quality; they don't sell bad vanilla to the locals, right? LOL :p Actually, because we're 2 families, first we'll go to the supermarket to buy beer, drinks for the kids and some snacks to have in the iceboxes that Leo and the other driver have in their vans, and that way, once I'm at the store I'll buy the Mexican spices I need.

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend Tours Plaza if you want to see the REAL Cozumel...not just the commercial beach and drink side.

(although you can certainly drink on the beautiful East side as well )

Edited by LHP

We just got back from the disney cruise on the Wonder. We had a great time. If you are looking for a nice and relaxing excursion in Cozumel, we hired a private driver from Tours Plaza. We had Gerry as our driver and he was wonderful! He took his time and was very patient with our group when we wanted to stop. He gave us some history of the island and stopped at a some beautiful places. We even visited the Chocolate factory which was a big hit for the kids! We didn't really have an itenerary and he knew exactly where to take us! It was definitely worth it!

I just tried the website and didn't have any problems. If you continue to have trouble I would just email Eduardo or Sofia directly at the emails listed on the site. I have always had a reply very quickly. If you don't get a reply within a few hours check your spam.

Just got back from our cruise and we used Tours Plaza again. This time we had Alberto and he was great. As our previous driver did, he pulled over to talk about what we wanted to see and do. He recommended Playa Palencar for us and it was perfect.

My niece was a bit skeptical about having a driver but by the end she was very impressed and loved the convenience.

Just returned from Cozumel. We toured with Crescencio Lopez. He is SPECTACULAR! Creslopez41955 at Hotmail dot com He is so friendly. We hired him to see several sights and to take us to Punta Sur for the day. He greeted us with a smile. He even had a cooler of beverages on ice for us and sand toys available for the kids. I highly recommend him.

Glad to hear it. We are touring with him in a couple of weeks. Could you please tell me what you did? I know he is flexible but I'd appreciate some suggestions.

We were planning to tour in the am and then go to the beach in the afternoon.

In December, we hired a driver through Tour Plaza and were told Gerry would be our driver for the day.

When we first met Gerry he asked what we wanted to do and made some suggestions also. We decided on a tour of San Miguel, a tequila tour, maybe visiting a mayan ruin and a drive with stops and lunch along the East side. He was very attentive to what we wanted to do with the time we had.

We toured with Gerry for approximately 5 hours and still have a lot to see when we return in the future. We rode through the downtown area then through some side streets off the tourist path to see where the locals live. During our tour of San Miguel, Gerry would make stops and explain some of the history of the area. After our tour of the downtown area, we did the tequila tour which was very interesting but too long and therefore we skipped visiting the ruins which were close by. Next we headed to the East side of the island which is breathtakingly beautiful. We stopped at Playa Bonita for a wonderful lunch and afterwards spent a little time putting our toes in the warm water and taking pictures. Lastly, a stop at El Mirador and sadly back to the ship.

Gerry is a nice man who is very easy to talk with and extremely knowledgeable about the country’s history. He offered to take pictures of our group and as my pictures can prove, he’s a great photographer too and he can sing!

When we return, we will request Gerry as our guide again.

I just read thru most of this thread. After reading I just booked with Travel Plaza. Our driver will be Gerry. We leave the day after Christmas for New Orleans. After a few days in NO we depart on the Carnival Sunshine. Our first stop is Cozumel.

In December, we hired a driver through Tour Plaza and were told Gerry would be our driver for the day.

When we first met Gerry he asked what we wanted to do and made some suggestions also. We decided on a tour of San Miguel, a tequila tour, maybe visiting a mayan ruin and a drive with stops and lunch along the East side. He was very attentive to what we wanted to do with the time we had.

We toured with Gerry for approximately 5 hours and still have a lot to see when we return in the future. We rode through the downtown area then through some side streets off the tourist path to see where the locals live. During our tour of San Miguel, Gerry would make stops and explain some of the history of the area. After our tour of the downtown area, we did the tequila tour which was very interesting but too long and therefore we skipped visiting the ruins which were close by. Next we headed to the East side of the island which is breathtakingly beautiful. We stopped at Playa Bonita for a wonderful lunch and afterwards spent a little time putting our toes in the warm water and taking pictures. Lastly, a stop at El Mirador and sadly back to the ship.

Gerry is a nice man who is very easy to talk with and extremely knowledgeable about the country’s history. He offered to take pictures of our group and as my pictures can prove, he’s a great photographer too and he can sing!

How much was the driver for 5 hours?

I just read thru most of this thread. After reading I just booked with Travel Plaza. Our driver will be Gerry. We leave the day after Christmas for New Orleans. After a few days in NO we depart on the Carnival Sunshine. Our first stop is Cozumel.

We just got back from Cozumel and used Gerry based on advice here and Trip Advisor. He was such a kind and lovely man to spend the day with! You will enjoy it.

My advice to you if you do the tequila tour is to skip the mayan exhibit part unless you are really into that thing. My husband HATES that kind of stuff and was super bored and I was running low on small denominations and felt awful that I couldn't tip them all. The tequila is amazing though and my husband is obsessed with it.

We did downtown, tequila, east side, Coconuts (views are great, margaritas not) and Rasta's. I would probably recommend going to the other place he recommends for lunch, Coconuts wasn't too great. Have cash!

Just got back from our cruise today. Had a great experience with Crescenscio.

We saw and did an amazing amount in 4 hours in the most pleasant , hassle free way. We decided after consulting with him to see the downtown, the ruins, the east coast, el Cedral and then be dropped off at the beach.

He really knows his way around the island. We appreciated his knowledge, courtesy and humor.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from Cozumel and used Gerry based on advice here and Trip Advisor. He was such a kind and lovely man to spend the day with! You will enjoy it.

My advice to you if you do the tequila tour is to skip the mayan exhibit part unless you are really into that thing. My husband HATES that kind of stuff and was super bored and I was running low on small denominations and felt awful that I couldn't tip them all. The tequila is amazing though and my husband is obsessed with it.

We did downtown, tequila, east side, Coconuts (views are great, margaritas not) and Rasta's. I would probably recommend going to the other place he recommends for lunch, Coconuts wasn't too great. Have cash!

Thanks for the small denomination bills for tips advice! It's always something I seem to forget when traveling :o now I'll have it in mind!!

Hubby and I are planning in having lunch at Coconuts or Playa Bonita but now have my doubts.. was there something else than the margaritas the problem @ coconts?

TIA

Is there a minimum amount of time you have to book for? And can you share how much the cost was for your trip and how many was in your group? Thanks!!

Is there a minimum amount of time you have to book for? And can you share how much the cost was for your trip and how many was in your group? Thanks!!

All the information you need is on the website: http://www.toursplaza.com/eng/hiring-driver.cfm

There is a minimum hire period of 3 hours and price is per vehicle. There is a station wagon or van depending on how many in your party.

• 2 weeks later...
All the information you need is on the website: http://www.toursplaza.com/eng/hiring-driver.cfm

There is a minimum hire period of 3 hours and price is per vehicle. There is a station wagon or van depending on how many in your party.

What I love about using them is that you decide how you want to spend your time.

I would recommend the EAST side....it is beautiful over there and sadly far to many folks who come to Cozumel never get to see it.