Steward NOT Stewart or Stuart!!!

SakeDad

I see that you went to one of the websites and then quoted it as an authoritative source. I just googled to Urban Dictionary, which is a self-described slang dictionary source. It is at least one source which contains your description, word for word. Let's talk about formal usage because that's how the OP started this whole silly thread. (Slang usage is a entirely different subject. There are so many varied informal types of English that we could discuss them forever.)

The OED (that's Oxford English Dictionary) does not recognize those forms (spelt, burnt, etc.) as correct usage. Just because a website says so, doesn't make it official. Certainly it may be used in day to day conversation, but so are many words that are not officially part of the language (either British or American). (Yes, I was an English major.)

Sorry, but the "lesson" doesn't apply. BTW, how could anyone resist correcting someone who is correcting someone else? What fun is life otherwise? I'd never dream of correcting anyone else's spelling under any other circumstances, especially considering how bad my own spelling can be.:D

beachchick

So does this mean I don't have to cry over...."SPILT".....milk....??????:D

and pray tell me why does Microsoft word spell check use the American lousy way of spelling, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Watch it, Kiwi, or I'll do a haka on your forehead! There's far more of us with the lousy spelling than there is of you!;)

and pray tell me why does Microsoft word spell check use the American lousy way of spelling, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:D I hear you. I'm guessing because it was a lousy American who created it. It's funny; my DH was saying to me the other day, "You know, Netflix is making 'queue' a part of standard American usage. Pretty soon, we'll be saying, boot instead of trunk and lift instead of elevator." Goodness, next thing you know, we'll be drinking tea and eating crumpets!:p (Oh wait a moment, I already do drink tea and enjoy a good crumpet. Oops.)

beachchick

The OED (that's Oxford English Dictionary) does not recognize those forms (spelt, burnt, etc.) as correct usage. Just because a website says so, doesn't make it official. Certainly it may be used in day to day conversation, but so are many words that are not officially part of the language (either British or American). (Yes, I was an English major.)

Um, there is no "official" English language authority, unlike the French who have the Academy (l'Académie française) to tell them what's proper to say and what isn't.

And - as any good grammarian, lexicographer or etymologist will tell you - languge usage is merely the sum of the way things are "used in day to day conversation."

I see that you went to one of the websites and then quoted it as an authoritative source. I just googled to Urban Dictionary, which is a self-described slang dictionary source. It is at least one source which contains your description, word for word. Let's talk about formal usage because that's how the OP started this whole silly thread. (Slang usage is a entirely different subject. There are so many varied informal types of English that we could discuss them forever.)

beachchick

Per The American Heritage talking Dictionary:

" v. spelled or spelt (spelt). spell-ing, spells.v. tr. 1. To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word). 2. To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal. 3. To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.v. intr. To form words by means of letters. --phrasal verbs. spell down. To defeat in a spelling bee. spell out."

And Miriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (first printing 1993) indicates spelt is gramatically correct & part of the official English language..

"spelt: chiefly Brit past & past part of spell"

And Just because the Oxford English Dictionary) does not recognize those forms (spelt, burnt, etc.) as correct usage, doesn't make it official.

Learnt: British past and past participle of Learn.

(Thats from Merriam-Webster)

Learn: verb learned or UK also Learnt

(thats from the Cambridge dictionary)

Thats just an example.

The English language has changed over the years and continues to do so.

The Americans have their version of the English language and the British have theirs.

Who is right and who is wrong? :confused:

Long ago I had an Airman Sargent working for me. Yes, we worked hard and got him a promotion to Sergeant. Just so that we could say ....

*LOL* I went to high school with a kid whose last name was "Staynes" (pronounced "STAINS")

Right after high school he went into the navy. Now come on, how much ribbing did he get *LOL*

*LOL* I went to high school with a kid whose last name was "Staynes" (pronounced "STAINS")

Right after high school he went into the navy. Now come on, how much ribbing did he get *LOL*

Hmmmm, did he know Monica?

Archived