Steward NOT Stewart or Stuart!!!

SakeDad

Will I need to bring my weiner there???:p

Our room steward on our last cruise (Celebrity) was named Weiner. I was so proud of myself for keeping a straight face when I talked to him. ;)

Ok, got one.....my DH plus 3 other family members are Navy, and they call the ships....."boats":D So what are ya gonna say about that???:p

This is actually a term of endearment many of us use about ships we care for.

Spelling is a pet peeve of mine as well, but community guidelines aside, if I corrected all the errors I run across, I would have:

Carpal tunnel

25,000 posts

I have learned to mellow out. It ain't rocket surgery.

Cheers

Mark

Ok, got one.....my DH plus 3 other family members are Navy, and they call the ships....."boats":D So what are ya gonna say about that???:p

Have always been under the impression that only subs are officially called boats & the rest of the Navy Vessels are officially called ships..What does you're DH say about it?:confused:

I've also heard my Son referring to a "boat"...And it's true, a Ship is always a Boat, but a Boat is not always a Ship..Think about that one!

Now according to my Enclopedia: A Ship is: "A vessel that is buoyant in the water and used to transport people or cargo from one place to another via rivers, lakes, or oceans. Traditionally, ships were distinguished from boats by size—any buoyant vessel small enough to fit on board a ship was considered a boat. However, common usage has blurred the distinction between boats and ships, and today the difference between them is arbitrary."

So everytime my DH say's Boat instead of Ship, I better keep quiet!..LOL

Navyman & Prinsendam we need you here to tell us what's what!

DH just got home and so....I asked the question....

He said subs are boats, smaller Navy craft are boats, when he was stationed on an aircraft carrier he would have had his head handed to him if he referred to it as a "boat", it's a ship!! So, it becomes a bit confusing:confused: Then of course the last thing he said to me was....."are you on cruise critic again":eek:

Well, if we're going to be picky about it, "misspelt" is not a word. The correct word is "misspelled."

beachchick

Actually Misspelt is not entirely incorrect. It is "British English."

Call it a strong verb pass form if you will.

British English has a preference for retaining strong verb past forms. For example: Burnt, Learnt, Spelt.

American English would be Burned and Learned etc.

So thats my English lesson for today.

Now remember correcting someones typos is a no no on the board.

I lived in CT for a while and worked at the factory that made the extension cords for Electric Boat over in Groton.

Did you make the extension cords that connected our ship to Miami so that we had power on board? :rolleyes:

No; just the subs from Electric Boat and only for the Western North Atlantic. They had different connectors for the Eastern North Atlantic -- British, you know.

Bloody marvelous, old rod! Would you mind passing the Gray Poupon

Imagine how insane this thread would become if someone had a steward named Stuart Stewart?

Long ago I had an Airman Sargent working for me. Yes, we worked hard and got him a promotion to Sergeant. Just so that we could say ....

Sooo...

Howed youse guys know us guys was college guys.

And, yes that comment got me thrown out of english class.

And, what is the plural of steward?

Fur a coledge guy yu sur didnt learnt to speel "coledge"

english whats dat!

dont ja no da plural is "Stews"

youse guys are all nuts!;)

While we're at it, mind if I comment the 13 vessels in HAL Fleet are ships.

A boat can fit on a ship. A ship cannot fit on a boat.

.....a "submarine" is a boat...and I've never seen one on a ship....."Das Boot"......:p

So does this mean I can take a boat (sub) ride from the ship....to shore..????LOL

In this age of cruising on those big boats with the wonderful, caring stewarts do any of you out there know why we still talk about the "ship sailed at++++ the ship sailed between____and____" Why do we still sail on a ship with none?:confused:

That's "Sale".....as in the ship is having a sale in the shops-saloon (LOL)-spa-art auction......:p

Actually Misspelt is not entirely incorrect. It is "British English."

Call it a strong verb pass form if you will.

British English has a preference for retaining strong verb past forms. For example: Burnt' date=' Learnt, Spelt.

American English would be Burned and Learned etc. [/b']

So thats my English lesson for today.

Now remember correcting someones typos is a no no on the board.

I see that you went to one of the websites and then quoted it as an authoritative source. I just googled to Urban Dictionary, which is a self-described slang dictionary source. It is at least one source which contains your description, word for word. Let's talk about formal usage because that's how the OP started this whole silly thread. (Slang usage is a entirely different subject. There are so many varied informal types of English that we could discuss them forever.)

The OED (that's Oxford English Dictionary) does not recognize those forms (spelt, burnt, etc.) as correct usage. Just because a website says so, doesn't make it official. Certainly it may be used in day to day conversation, but so are many words that are not officially part of the language (either British or American). (Yes, I was an English major.)

Sorry, but the "lesson" doesn't apply. BTW, how could anyone resist correcting someone who is correcting someone else? What fun is life otherwise? I'd never dream of correcting anyone else's spelling under any other circumstances, especially considering how bad my own spelling can be.:D

beachchick

Archived